Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Call sign retrieve
Southampton South Coast Hampshire Quiet Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:01 pm by Gazsv

» GRAZIOLI ANTENNAS
Southampton South Coast Hampshire Quiet Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:06 pm by John79

» Hellooooo!
Southampton South Coast Hampshire Quiet Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:41 pm by ianaries

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
Southampton South Coast Hampshire Quiet Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:54 am by Mej

» Alinco dx10
Southampton South Coast Hampshire Quiet Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:28 am by Mej

» Trying to remember an old mic brand.
Southampton South Coast Hampshire Quiet Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2024 9:47 pm by John123

» Hello from sunny spain (Issued)
Southampton South Coast Hampshire Quiet Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2024 3:10 pm by GaryWilson

» Introduction and request for Call Sign (Issued)
Southampton South Coast Hampshire Quiet Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2024 9:22 am by WKseHqKWpuJe

» UN usual station today
Southampton South Coast Hampshire Quiet Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2024 6:17 am by SangueG

Keywords
yaesu Mobile Sirio list frequency sign display antenna power anytone 2024 6900 call ss9900 Baofeng 2023 lincoln callsign 9900 president 2022 Mckinley software ALINCO meter chart
QRZ Database

Southampton South Coast Hampshire Quiet

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Scan125
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-8080
Times Thanked : 5
QTH or Location : Wrexham, North Wales
Equipment Used : MAXON 1000, AlincoDX-R8, Lowe HF150, Uniden UBC125XLT & UBC75XLT, SDRplay RSPduo

Southampton South Coast Hampshire Quiet Empty
PostSubject: Southampton South Coast Hampshire Quiet   Southampton South Coast Hampshire Quiet Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 7:16 pm

Well this is probably me receiving at the wrong time but generally across the 26MHz to 29MHz there is little or no regular activity.

Having said this run an RSPDuo SDR from 8:00am through to 8:00pm and am present for most of that time and spectrum display is lacking any activity. Also have other kit scanning for activity and zilch.

Today Italy was coming in on skip but as for anything else then nothing.

There is a daily CH19 pop up hogger (no call sign just whistles) but that is all and then rants on about "Caravan Man".

So I'm concluding that GENERALLY my location across the 11m band is a dead spot.

Back to top Go down
Templar
Contributor
Contributor
Templar

Call Sign : 26-CT-3550 Ham:- M7DEW
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Huddersfield West Yorkshire. UK
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-450D. CRT SS 6900n. CRT Micron

PostSubject: Re: Southampton South Coast Hampshire Quiet   Southampton South Coast Hampshire Quiet Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 8:10 pm

Scan.
Re ch19, same up here, usual idiots pumping 100+ Watts just to chat to each other 5 streets down the road, or 2 other individuals playing music for hours on end. It's been like this since I returned to the hobby 8 months ago.
I was about to pack up my station and give it all up then I discovered what some call "Freebanding" Now I hardly go on 19 except to chat with 2 friends at set times, but "sit" on 27.555Mhz and just listen/monitor. There's always something / someone to listen to. Always a few more "mature" people on but when the "skip" is in that part of the band comes alive.
I have difficult operating conditions here in that not allowed external antenna so have to make do with a Dipole in the loft. This morning I was literally buzzing, I had my first overseas contact (using my recently awarded callsign - thanks Gary) - Bologna Italy, rapidly followed by South East France then Leipzig Germany. All on 8 watts. I nearly fell out of my chair with disbelief when they came back with my callsign as I reached for the pen & log book. At around 7pm this evening I heard 3 or 4 stations on the South Coast, Plymouth, Southampton + 2 in Brighton calling north/Scotland but couldn't get through as there was just too many people responding, it was a pile up.
So don't give up yet mate, have a listen on the Triple 555 and keep trying. Ask on here for advice / help / tips if you're not getting through. Look at YouTube - Max Mountain World and look up his Freebanding Radio bids, he's done loads.
Hope this has lifted your spirits, the "skip" season is just starting and going by today seems like it could be a good one. I'll never sit on 19 again.

Stay safe.
73's
Dale
26-CT-3550
Back to top Go down
26TC62
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
26TC62

Call Sign : 26TC62, 26CT2817
Times Thanked : 29
QTH or Location : Portsmouth
Equipment Used : Yaesu 891, 10m pole, wire 5/8, T2LT

PostSubject: Re: Southampton South Coast Hampshire Quiet   Southampton South Coast Hampshire Quiet Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 8:58 pm

Channel 38 seems to be the most active one on the UKFM - quite a few people around the Solent. Ch19 in Southampton is notorious for having some absolute morons on it. You've got the Thursday night SSB net on 27395 which has quite a few people round this way on it. And there are more people coming (back) on. Sunday afternoons on 34FM you've got Sid's net (when he is out or someone else gets up on Combe Gibbet) which usually has a few on from around Hampshire as well as further afield.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Southampton South Coast Hampshire Quiet   Southampton South Coast Hampshire Quiet Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 9:27 pm

Hi All,
I think the Ch19 thing is nation wide, we have the same thing here in Birmingham, well its not B/ham but the muppets next door in the Black Country,,, The usual things are dead key, over keying and 100watts to talk 3 miles . Most days I have 7lbs of mexico from them on every block, AM FM and ssb. seems to be the same 5 or 6 people ( I use the word people loosely )... Ive been chatting with a couple of the lads about trying get an FM net going in the early hours,,,, 30 years ago if you waited for the muppets to go to bed some good distance could be done on FM with 4 watts and a legal twig. Don't see why it couldn't work today,,,, just like back then the dickheads have to sleep ...

73s Tom 26CZ455
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Southampton South Coast Hampshire Quiet   Southampton South Coast Hampshire Quiet Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 9:32 pm

For me 11m is an exceptional band, much like 10m & to a degree, 20m. Most of the time it's dead so when those bands come alive it's exciting as hell! Very Happy

11m will always have the Ch19 sad individuals and they will always be at 19 because they need an audience. Luckily it's usually other sad 19ers that frequent there so they keep each other amused Wink Doesn't seem to have changed since the legal 80's and probably never will.

11m adds that excitement for me in that I can transmit on it as a citizen interested in radio. No club to join, no so called qualifications to take, no conformity, just the freedom to get on air if I wish. When conditions are ripe I can talk to a complete stranger in another country and personally be just as excited by it as the last time or even the very first time. Not everyone will get that feeling, but a hell of a lot do.

Today conditions were such that Europe skipped in all over the place, France one minute, Spain the next, then Germans, Italians and then the Netherlands. As they faded in and out you can hear all the English stations fading into sound, also shouting for all their worth to their European counterparts. Didn't get one successful contact myself, but had bl**day good fun trying in the knowledge that I might be successful!

I listen to 10m & 20m for the same kind of reasons. Recently on the sunrise golden hour I heard the best QSO between a VK ham in Tasmania chatting to an Italian operator then a German one and actually having interesting conversations Smile Had to be listening at 4:30 am for that moment and for me, flipping worth it!

I like the 'dead' bands because on the whole they are dead, but boy do they come alive.

I suppose it depends on what you want from the hobby, yes hobby, because no matter how serious you get about it.... it's just another hobby Wink

Enjoy as you see fit.
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Templar
Contributor
Contributor
Templar

Call Sign : 26-CT-3550 Ham:- M7DEW
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Huddersfield West Yorkshire. UK
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-450D. CRT SS 6900n. CRT Micron

PostSubject: Re: Southampton South Coast Hampshire Quiet   Southampton South Coast Hampshire Quiet Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 9:55 pm

Excellent post Victor
Found myself nodding in agreement at every paragraph.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Southampton South Coast Hampshire Quiet   Southampton South Coast Hampshire Quiet Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 10:59 pm

Dale, dear sir, you are obviously amongst those that actually get it Wink

Radio is a different beast for all. Homebrew, QRP, DX, entries in a log book, pins in a map, entries on a computer, certificates, supposed heirarchy amongst your peirs, equipment boasting or even plain simply moaning about it.

But we all do appreciate that little bit of radio magic Smile

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC

PostSubject: Re: Southampton South Coast Hampshire Quiet   Southampton South Coast Hampshire Quiet Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2020 9:12 am

Right on Victor

Tom
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Southampton South Coast Hampshire Quiet   Southampton South Coast Hampshire Quiet Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Southampton South Coast Hampshire Quiet
Page 1 of 1