Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» CT call sign (Issued)
Rig Doctors  Icon_minitimeToday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
Rig Doctors  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

Rig Doctors  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Rig Doctors  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
Rig Doctors  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:49 pm by babis3g

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
Rig Doctors  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

» Anytone 6667
Rig Doctors  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:24 am by Julian brian

» Help needed
Rig Doctors  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:02 am by Mighty mutts

» Is FM CB still alive?
Rig Doctors  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:26 am by axlejack

Keywords
callsign sign 2022 Baofeng meter frequency 9900 6900 yaesu anytone Mckinley Sirio lincoln display Mobile antenna president 2023 call power software ALINCO supply ss9900 list chart
QRZ Database

Rig Doctors

Go down 
+6
Northern Crusader
glenn dog
Victor
Sgt Bilko
NUBSTER
Tristar
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Tristar
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Tristar

Call Sign : 26-CT-3771
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Weston-super-Mare
Equipment Used : CRT Millennium 3v hand sets, President Barry2

Rig Doctors  Empty
PostSubject: Rig Doctors    Rig Doctors  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2020 1:04 pm

Hi 👋🏻 

Are there any good rig doctors around?
Not too worried about location. 

More interested in reliable and competent. 

Or shops that do mot on old radios!

Many thanks 

John
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Sgt Bilko
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sgt Bilko

Call Sign : 108 ct 302 - mm0ibe
Times Thanked : 17
QTH or Location : Prestonpans. East Lothian
Equipment Used : SS9900

Rig Doctors  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rig Doctors    Rig Doctors  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2020 3:18 pm

I'll second Martin with Nick - Black Spirit. I've used him many times for myself and my mates radio's.
Top notch work and very reasonable prices. Repairs and modifications.

Paul.

steve152, glenn dog, Victor and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
Tristar
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Tristar

Rig Doctors  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rig Doctors    Rig Doctors  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2020 5:07 pm

Many thanks guys. 

It gives me somewhere to start. 

I used to take my rigs to a guy in York where I lived but he’s long gone !
Again thanks. 
John

NUBSTER and glenn dog like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Rig Doctors  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rig Doctors    Rig Doctors  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2020 8:21 am

John, I never realised how thin on the ground rig doctors were until you posted.
Hope you get sorted mate.

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Rig Doctors  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rig Doctors    Rig Doctors  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2020 2:53 pm

Martin, yes mate like you say back in the days they were two a penny! Ok, decent respected ones were a bit rarer than that Wink
There were always the screwdriver experts but like you mention most CB shops had their own engineers. Just seems a shame and I suppose it's all down to so called 'progress'. Have you seen inside a modern rig? I couldn't see half the stuff in it!! Very Happy Very Happy

NUBSTER and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
glenn dog
Major contributor
Major contributor
glenn dog

Call Sign : 56-CT-004
Times Thanked : 11
QTH or Location : Oulu -Finland
Equipment Used : ft-450d-mc kinley - cobra 19dxeu- lincoln+2 - superstar lord - grant 2 - tti hand held- alan42- crt mike cb - zodiac 68 hunting radio hand held- and few PMR 2

Rig Doctors  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rig Doctors    Rig Doctors  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2020 7:46 pm

TRISTAR, I was on cb am/fm from 79 to 85, Haxby area of York, what was your area ? Very Happy

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

Rig Doctors  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rig Doctors    Rig Doctors  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2020 11:54 am

LAM Communications in Barnsley does them, there's Dave Wood who does them, Richard Shireby G0OJF although he will only work on legal ones.

glenn dog and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

Rig Doctors  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rig Doctors    Rig Doctors  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2020 6:48 am

I was the local rig-doctor many years ago but divorce and life changed all that.
26 years later i come back to radio but looking at the new stuff i wouldn't know where to start plus i don't have any gear for the job (a so called m8 cleared my shack doing my x a favour with about 5 to 7 grand worth in it and he gave her the £250 he got for it all my rrrrrs))).
Good old day's they where back then lol.

Victor and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Rig Doctors  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rig Doctors    Rig Doctors  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2020 10:45 am

Hi Alan,

Yes, I remember you saying before mate. Flipping terrible shame.
At least you stand a chance of repairing your own stuff should the need arise, the jobs that don't need much test gear etc. (Although modern test gear is far, far cheaper than it ever used to be!) Surface mount is a pain though, inherently difficult to rework let alone the eyesight requirements Wink
(Yes, I know there are scopes, rework tools, etc. before someone jumps in - I didn't say impossible, just more difficult than the old through hole component days)

I had more of a scan about the old t'internet and with the suggestions already made it seems there are more repair outlets/options than first seems. Some are praised highly, the odd are slated but I'm damn sure I wouldn't want to fix a rig on a customer viewpoint.
"My mates say it's quieter since you repaired it", "Everyone is now telling me I'm off frequency since you repaired it", etc. etc. whiney, whinge....
S*d that for a game of soldiers Wink

I can say one thing, most of the older stuff when left well alone and looked after, (no twiddling, hooking up weird stuff, running from bodged PSUs, or leaving to rot at the back of the shed for 20+ years!), seem to do well. I can only hope modern day manufacturing practices equate to similar long lives on the newer stuff.

Of course, you always get the 'horror' stories of leaky capacitors, failing diodes, drifting VFO's etc. etc.
Makes you wonder who spreads those stories in the first place?
"Yes mate, it's old, needs all the caps replacing...blah, blah, nonsense, give me your money, give me your money".....

I have a 40 year old Yaesu, apart from the old grease leaking from the VFO dial, (didn't take me long to strip, clean and reassemble for a perfect working dial!), it's pristine. Capacitors are all fine and never touched, diodes are all fine and never 'clipped', controls are fine with no WD40 dripping from them, inter-connects are fine without plier marks, all within spec. etc. Perfect working order....
I was damn lucky with that little beaut! Smile

...yet when I made 'repair' enquiries initially I was given all sorts of 'rag'.

"Nah mate, can't get VFO dials for them. I'll give you a pitiful small amount of money for it as scrap."
"Yeah mate, it's well old, will need all the caps replacing."
"The thing is, they're cr*p. Not worth my time......how much do you want scrap for it?"

Wouldn't mind, but one of those came from an 'official' Yaesu repair centre!!!??!?!

Bit of a minefield really.

If you find a good repairer, stick with them, praise them and spread the word Smile

All the best,
Victor

glenn dog and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

Rig Doctors  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rig Doctors    Rig Doctors  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2020 10:15 am

Morning Victor
Yes i have seen many saying all the caps leaking and all that but i don't remember ever changing a "leaky" one blown ones yes.
Stay with me on this one.
I am disabled back legs and also not a lot of use in my left hand (broke all the nerves in a bike accident 45 years ago).
I smoke and roll my own so my bench was covered with bent creased papers.
One lad that used to come to me on a weekly basis was always in them with his golden screwdriver and i would be listening to him on air "how does it sound no or is that better i have turned the power up to 20 watts" lol.
He would then bring a radio back saying it's not right.
So i started to accidentally leave a fag paper in his radio.
He came back one day with a radio i had done for him so i said hang on i will look at it now.
No fag paper in it so i asked him if he had cleaned his bedroom and put the fag paper in the bin lol.
Saved me a lot of time but he also told people that i did something special that would tell me if they had opened the case.
The good old day's.

glenn dog, Victor, Tristar and Pops400 like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Rig Doctors  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rig Doctors    Rig Doctors  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2020 11:13 am

Hi Alan,

Yeah, it was known as the 'capacitor plague', there's even a Wikipedia entry regarding it :-

Wikipedia - Capacitor Plague

Only thing I ever saw affected by it were on PC computers, my own Hewlett Packard was affected but HP denied involvement or responsibility (!) Typical.
A lot of 'entrepreneurs' jumped on that one and claimed it for any electronic defect.
(I have 1950s & 60s valve gear with perfect electrolytics Wink)

Ha, Ha! Very Happy Well caught out with the hidden fag paper Wink Great story.
Like I said, I wouldn't want to be a rig doctor just for such reasons.

Keep well mate.

All the best,
Victor

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Tristar
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Tristar

Rig Doctors  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rig Doctors    Rig Doctors  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2020 12:52 pm

glenn dog wrote:
TRISTAR, I was on cb am/fm from 79 to 85, Haxby area of York, what was your area ? Very Happy
Hi 👋🏻 

I was in Southbank Bishopthorpe Road 

(Moneyland, Chocolate City😆). 

👍😆

glenn dog likes this post

Back to top Go down
glenn dog
Major contributor
Major contributor
glenn dog

Equipment Used : ft-450d-mc kinley - cobra 19dxeu- lincoln+2 - superstar lord - grant 2 - tti hand held- alan42- crt mike cb - zodiac 68 hunting radio hand held- and few PMR 2

Rig Doctors  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rig Doctors    Rig Doctors  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2020 1:26 pm

Ok, i was Legoland, Haxby area, Zanussi was m handel, brother was Major Tom from 79 onwards, happy days,

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Tristar
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Tristar

Rig Doctors  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rig Doctors    Rig Doctors  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2020 3:02 pm

Hi Glenn
I was on about the same time. 
I seem to remember a Major Tom for some reason but not sure why?? 😆

I was on the Yankee Kilos Club committee and ran the discos on Friday nights for the teenagers
At the local pub near the Knavesmire. 

How do you like your a Grant 2. ?
I was looking at one the other day and thinking of getting one!🙈

John

Back to top Go down
glenn dog
Major contributor
Major contributor
glenn dog

Rig Doctors  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rig Doctors    Rig Doctors  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2020 6:39 pm

Grant 2 is ok, but not used so much these days, was ok in the car, as home base not so good, now used if i go on long trips in the car,

Major Tom , my brother was around York are a lot, was around 2 years older than you, he was working in Heworth area and near your area, and on nights he was selling rigs and few Del boy items Very Happy lol!

take care over there, might catch you on a DX one day, Very Happy

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Tristar
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Tristar

Rig Doctors  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rig Doctors    Rig Doctors  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2020 7:47 pm

Hi 👋🏻 

That’s it!

Rig sales!

Yes that’s how I remember the name! Lol😀

All the best to you guys too. 
Stay safe and well. 

John

Back to top Go down
highwayhawk01

Call Sign : 108-CT-270 highwayhawk
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : new cumnock
Equipment Used : kpo 5000dx cobra eu 29lx wilson 1000 mobile antenn ,greco,1000 channel scanner ss6900 antron 99 antenna baofeng tri band radios crt space-u446pmr crt p7 lcd crt space u home base with sirio cx 440 ranger voyage vr9000

Rig Doctors  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rig Doctors    Rig Doctors  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2021 10:11 pm

there is a good rig doc at the cb shack in lymm services....poplar 2000 on the m6 southbound

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Seasick
Contributor
Contributor
Seasick

Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Norfolk
Equipment Used : Uniden BCT 15X

Rig Doctors  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rig Doctors    Rig Doctors  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2021 10:24 pm

highwayhawk01 wrote:
there is a good rig doc at the cb shack in lymm services....poplar 2000 on the m6 southbound

That has been there for a good few years. I often called in there on my way in & out of a place at, or near, Warrington that built refrigerated trailers & that was years ago.
Back to top Go down
highwayhawk01

Call Sign : 108-CT-270 highwayhawk
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : new cumnock
Equipment Used : kpo 5000dx cobra eu 29lx wilson 1000 mobile antenn ,greco,1000 channel scanner ss6900 antron 99 antenna baofeng tri band radios crt space-u446pmr crt p7 lcd crt space u home base with sirio cx 440 ranger voyage vr9000

Rig Doctors  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rig Doctors    Rig Doctors  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2021 10:30 pm

yeh the shop is still there im a hgv tramper and use it myself when im out that way

Tristar and Seasick like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan - Mirror Man
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan - Mirror Man

Call Sign : 108CT233
Times Thanked : 14
QTH or Location : Central Scotland
Equipment Used : CRT SS9900 Beofeng UV5R Yaesu FTDX1200 CRT Micron CRT FP00 Sattelite 2000 antenna ZS6BKW X30 co-linear

Rig Doctors  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rig Doctors    Rig Doctors  Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2021 8:42 am

After searching thoroughly for a rig doctor in my location (Central Scotland) the best I could come up with was a chap who did electronics repair and would solder components that I had supplied but had no testing equipment such as dummy loads, fortunately, the concern I had was just the SWR protection had kicked in and once I put in a dummy load it appeared to reset this.

On my last venture into radio I had a cracking rig doctor who also became a good friend, Steve, Ghost Man, he gave me my handle Mirror man as I clipped the mirror off his car as we passed in the street, as you can imagine he was less than impressed that some gangly young man of 17-18 had knocked his wing mirror off.  Asking how much he thought it would cost to fix he turns to me telling me last time he picked one up at the scrapyard it was £2.80, here is £5 keep the rest for petrol/your trouble.

Turns out Ghostie did work for the local C.B. store and his work had a good reputation, he ended up doing work on countless radios for me as I bought and sold a fair few and people were always keen to buy them as they knew who had given them a tune-up for me, it became a positive selling point.

It may be an idea to set up a Contact list of rig doctors for CT members as they do seem to be very thin on the ground, with the advent of programmable radios there are many things you can now do yourself but even though like myself, you may be not bad at all with a soldering iron, I wouldn't feel confident replacing output transistors or re-capping a radio for example.

Tristar and Fanger like this post

Back to top Go down

Rig Doctors  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rig Doctors    Rig Doctors  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2021 4:31 pm

Victor wrote:
John, I never realised how thin on the ground rig doctors were until you posted.
Hope you get sorted mate.
Over in Gibraltar there is 0 so we take our radio's to spain ( try explaining the problem to someone that dont speak English ) and i dont speak Spanish  silent silent silent
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rig Doctors  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rig Doctors    Rig Doctors  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rig Doctors
Page 1 of 1