Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in
XMAS COMPETITION: Win a Brand New Yaesu ft891 with Wideband Modification and to help the winner use it we are including a 30 Amp Power Supply on top. This is our biggest prize yet. All this could be yours for Christmas for just £20. - See Latest News Forum for details.
Latest Buxton 2020 News: Unfortunately, due to the Covid-19 pandemic we have had to cancel this year's Buxton date. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» please may i have a ct callsign ?
Internal SWR meters......accurate or not? Icon_minitimeToday at 8:47 pm by StevieG

» 11m conditions
Internal SWR meters......accurate or not? Icon_minitimeToday at 8:31 pm by Captain Fantastic

» shack lighting
Internal SWR meters......accurate or not? Icon_minitimeToday at 7:41 pm by Victor

» callsign request (Issued)
Internal SWR meters......accurate or not? Icon_minitimeToday at 5:55 pm by scropenoggin

» CT call sign please (Issued)
Internal SWR meters......accurate or not? Icon_minitimeToday at 2:22 pm by glenn dog

» Looking for Finnish or Sweden members
Internal SWR meters......accurate or not? Icon_minitimeToday at 2:15 pm by glenn dog

» SWR's are better but..............
Internal SWR meters......accurate or not? Icon_minitimeToday at 2:06 pm by Alan Pilot

» Home setup
Internal SWR meters......accurate or not? Icon_minitimeToday at 11:41 am by Grasmerestu

» New Member (Issued)
Internal SWR meters......accurate or not? Icon_minitimeToday at 10:13 am by RadioMark

Keywords
ss9900 frequency president Calling Mckinley Sirio yaesu antenna list sign chart supply alan midland lincoln ss6900n Mobile Baofeng radio tickets call 9900 division bazooka power callsign
QRZ Database

Internal SWR meters......accurate or not?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pagan
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Pagan

Call Sign : 26CT2069
Times Thanked : 21
QTH or Location : Pendle, Lancashire
Equipment Used : CRT-SS9900

Internal SWR meters......accurate or not? Empty
PostSubject: Internal SWR meters......accurate or not?   Internal SWR meters......accurate or not? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2020 1:16 am

I noticed that the internal SWR meter in my CRT-SS9900 was giving consistently low readings so I decided to test it against my antenna analyser. I took SWR readings on channels 1, 20 and 40 on low-band, mid-band and high band with the internal meter and then repeated the tests using my analyser. These are the results:

INTERNAL SWR METER         ANALYSER
LOW BAND:  Ch. 1                1:1.0                             1:1.3          
LOW BAND:  Ch. 20              1:1.0                             1:1.3
LOW BAND:  Ch. 40              1:1.0                             1:1.3

MID BAND:   Ch. 1                1:1.0                             1:1.3
MID BAND:   Ch. 20              1:1.0                             1:1.4
MID BAND:   Ch. 40              1:1.1                             1:1.5

HIGH BAND:  Ch.  1               1:1.1                            1:1.5             
HIGH BAND:  Ch.  20             1:1.2                            1:1.7
HIGH BAND:  Ch.  40             1:1.3                            1:1.8

The readings from the internal meter were all taken in FM mode with 15 watts power input. The analyser is a RigExpert AA-30 and readings were taken at the radio end of the feeder (approx. 5 metres of Mini 8 coax). The antenna is a half-wave Double Bazooka (horizontal). As you can see there is a difference in the results, some of them quite significant. Has anyone else tried this test and if so, what results did you get?

glenn dog, Victor and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 Ham M7VIC
Times Thanked : 56
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Internal SWR meters......accurate or not?   Internal SWR meters......accurate or not? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2020 5:37 am

Hi Phil,

I'm not at all surprised with your results and seeing differences like you have, you'll also see differences if you tried an external SWR meter too.

If you tested the rigs SWR readings and the analyser with a 50 ohm dummy load you'll probably get results similar to each other but again not guaranteed.

My own HF rig has a built in SWR meter and even when calibrated will give readings slightly different from an external SWR meter. I don't tend to worry about it using it more as an indicator than anything. If I have a SWR of less than 2 I know everything is good, start worrying & checking if the SWR starts hitting 3 and won't transmit if over 3. Luckily the rig winds down output if a big SWR is present.

I personally wouldn't overtly worry about it and neither should anyone else really, it can all become a bit compulsive, (like the elusive perfect 1:1 SWR Wink)

For my own preference I rate my SWR accuracy as Rig - lowest, SWR meter - more accurate, MFJ Antenna Analyser - most accurate.

There's an old guitar joke that comes to mind....

(Question) How do you keep two guitarists in tune & time with each other?
(Answer)    Shoot one of them! Very Happy

It's only when we start comparing that we actually notice these things.

All the best,
Victor

Pagan, glenn dog and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Alan Pilot
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220
Times Thanked : 9
QTH or Location : Holyhead
Equipment Used : Rci 2950dx ,,,Yaesu FT-450D

PostSubject: Re: Internal SWR meters......accurate or not?   Internal SWR meters......accurate or not? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2020 8:20 am

I would go with the RigExpert every time over the inbuilt jobby.
And as Victor say's anything under2 is ok but i know everybody wants that 1to1 but it's hard to get(but doable lol).

Pagan, glenn dog, Victor and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
glenn dog
Contributor
Contributor
glenn dog

Call Sign : 56-CT-004
Times Thanked : 5
QTH or Location : TUUSLA- FINLAND
Equipment Used : ft-450d-mc kinley - cobra 19dxeu- lincoln+2 - superstar lord - grant 2 - tti hand held- alan42- crt mike cb - zodiac 68 hunting radio hand held- and few PMR 2

PostSubject: Re: Internal SWR meters......accurate or not?   Internal SWR meters......accurate or not? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2020 11:42 am

Yes, well said swr of 2.1 or under, enjoy the radio and relax and chat away the day.

Victor and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan - Mirror Man
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Alan - Mirror Man

Call Sign : 108CT233
Times Thanked : 11
QTH or Location : Central Scotland
Equipment Used : CRT SS9900 Beofeng UV5R Yaesu FTDX1200 CRT Micron CRT FP00 Sattelite 2000 antenna ZS6BKW X30 co-linear

PostSubject: Re: Internal SWR meters......accurate or not?   Internal SWR meters......accurate or not? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2020 12:56 pm

When my antenna analyser arrived and I started using it I noticed the exact same thing but I recalled the topic being discussed on here previously in regard to a linear I think it was and the fact that everybody had experienced the very same thing left me feeling very reassured that everything was quite normal.
The important thing is the SWR protection has kicked in when required on a couple of occasions giving me an instant warning that all was not well, allowing me to search for the fault and rectify it before trying to transmit for an extended period.
Like yourself, I found the analyser far more sensitive than either my external SWR meter or the ones in my radios, and they are tiny increments it is understandable that there would be a little variance between meters I feel.
It looks like your double bazooka has good bandwidth no trouble getting down to the lower bands with that.

Pagan, glenn dog and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pagan
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Pagan

Call Sign : 26CT2069
Times Thanked : 21
QTH or Location : Pendle, Lancashire
Equipment Used : CRT-SS9900

PostSubject: Re: Internal SWR meters......accurate or not?   Internal SWR meters......accurate or not? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2020 1:02 am

Alan - Mirror Man wrote:

It looks like your double bazooka has good bandwidth no trouble getting down to the lower bands with that.

Yes....I did an SWR scan of the analyser's whole frequency coverage and the SWR stayed below 1:2.0 all the way from 24.963 mhz to 27.931 mhz !! The internal meter gives much higher readings at these extremes so I'm wondering if they're only designed to be accurate on the "official" CB frequencies.

Alan - Mirror Man likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan - Mirror Man
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Alan - Mirror Man

Call Sign : 108CT233
Times Thanked : 11
QTH or Location : Central Scotland
Equipment Used : CRT SS9900 Beofeng UV5R Yaesu FTDX1200 CRT Micron CRT FP00 Sattelite 2000 antenna ZS6BKW X30 co-linear

PostSubject: Re: Internal SWR meters......accurate or not?   Internal SWR meters......accurate or not? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2020 8:38 pm

I think the answer is they just arent quite as accurate but they seem to give a good enough guideline and let you know when all is not well which is the main thing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Internal SWR meters......accurate or not?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Help and Discussion Forums :: Multimode, Export and Sideband Radio-
Jump to: