Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Antenna Required.
Mobile Coax Cable Run Icon_minitimeToday at 5:20 pm by Victor

» First dx in 40 plus years
Mobile Coax Cable Run Icon_minitimeToday at 3:36 pm by Victor

» 10m dxcc ......
Mobile Coax Cable Run Icon_minitimeToday at 1:58 pm by SangueG

» Antenna Advice.....?
Mobile Coax Cable Run Icon_minitimeToday at 1:49 pm by SangueG

» Multimode mobile antenna
Mobile Coax Cable Run Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:36 am by peewee norfolk

» New member call sign request (Issued)
Mobile Coax Cable Run Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:03 am by Victor

» New call sign request (Issued)
Mobile Coax Cable Run Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 10:19 pm by John123

» Call Sign Request (Issued)
Mobile Coax Cable Run Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:37 pm by Jimnic333

» had a change around
Mobile Coax Cable Run Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:22 am by SangueG

Keywords
2022 list lincoln Mobile meter ALINCO 6900 Baofeng power display frequency antenna sign president 2023 yaesu Mckinley chart anytone 9900 call supply software Sirio callsign ss9900
QRZ Database

Mobile Coax Cable Run

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
techiefergie

Call Sign : 26-CT-3783
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Scarborough Uk
Equipment Used : CRT Millenium, CRT SS9900

Mobile Coax Cable Run Empty
PostSubject: Mobile Coax Cable Run   Mobile Coax Cable Run Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2020 3:20 pm

Hello All!!!

I have a mag mount with Sirio Performer 5000. Great antenna, had a blast with it, however it would seem the way which I have run the coax has damaged the cable. Replacing the Coax isn't an issue, the problem is, how do people run their Coax into the vehicle with out having the doors slam onto the cable? 

Any suggestions welcome. Other than using a body mount I'm stumped, I don't really want to be drilling holes if I can help it as I will be wanting to sell the car in a few years. 

Thanks In Advance

James
Back to top Go down
Red Fox
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Red Fox

Call Sign : 108-CT-255
Times Thanked : 17
QTH or Location : Fife Scotland
Equipment Used : Squawk Boxes & Wires - Both Annoy the other half :)

PostSubject: Re: Mobile Coax Cable Run   Mobile Coax Cable Run Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2020 4:33 pm

Hi James,

I have the Sirio 5000 antenna and decided on this little mount.

PNI T941

It has an S0239 connector that will fit your antenna and should allow easy positioning as your Sirio allows multiple angles when locked into place.

It's available from a few sources at different prices therefore worth hunting about for a deal.

Certainly worth checking out.

73's

Graeme
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: Mobile Coax Cable Run   Mobile Coax Cable Run Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2020 7:20 pm

Drill holes or use a Diamond K400 lip mount. The Diamond mount if you get the SO239 or 3/8 version comes with a length of very thin coax that'll not get damaged when you feed it through from the hatchback/boot lid. It's fairly lossy but at those lengths it'll make little difference.
Back to top Go down
The DB
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member

Times Thanked : 5

PostSubject: Re: Mobile Coax Cable Run   Mobile Coax Cable Run Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2020 11:08 pm

Unfortunately, there is really no easy answer to this question.

If you are running a magnet mount, or some other mount that is completely external to the vehicle, this is a common problem, and in the last few decades it seems to have gotten worse as the openings in doors and such have gotten smaller, leaving less and less room for coax.

The ideal way to fix this type of problem is to drill a hole.  If that isn't an option, you can look for a mount with a thinner coax, but that will also cause some issues.  You can also try a lip style mount (such as on a trunk), in this case while the opening is the same size the mount being right at the opening will cause the coax to move less, which may have an effect, assuming the opening is large enough to prevent pinching.

You could also try something like the image below, this specific one is made by Diamond and can be purchased at DX Engineering.  That being said, this one you would need to cut the coax, and you would want to ensure the connection won't move around and damage the paint on the vehicle.

Mobile Coax Cable Run Dmn-mgc50_ml

Finally, if you have enough coax, you can route it under your car where you might be able to find an opening to let the coax into your vehicle.

The DB
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mobile Coax Cable Run   Mobile Coax Cable Run Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mobile Coax Cable Run
Page 1 of 1