Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» crt ss 9900
Going through my foundation course with Essex Ham Icon_minitimeToday at 4:35 pm by stealth 57

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
Going through my foundation course with Essex Ham Icon_minitimeToday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

» CT call sign (Issued)
Going through my foundation course with Essex Ham Icon_minitimeToday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
Going through my foundation course with Essex Ham Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

Going through my foundation course with Essex Ham Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Going through my foundation course with Essex Ham Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
Going through my foundation course with Essex Ham Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

» Anytone 6667
Going through my foundation course with Essex Ham Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:24 am by Julian brian

» Help needed
Going through my foundation course with Essex Ham Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:02 am by Mighty mutts

Keywords
2022 Mckinley call list yaesu Mobile frequency Sirio 6900 9900 meter chart callsign display anytone Baofeng ss9900 antenna sign lincoln software 2023 president ALINCO power supply
QRZ Database

Going through my foundation course with Essex Ham

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Gavala
Gavala

Call Sign : M7GRC
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Hampshire UK
Equipment Used : Yeasu FTM400XDR / Anytone 878+

Going through my foundation course with Essex Ham Empty
PostSubject: Going through my foundation course with Essex Ham   Going through my foundation course with Essex Ham Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2020 2:26 pm

I can see there are many posts regarding going through the foundation course to exam so I won't bark too much. Just putting this down to say Hi as this is my first post.

I come from the AM/FM/SSB background in 79-82 and with a gap of 38 years decided to get my foundation license. I'm currently a third of the way through Essex Hams excellent free tutorial.

Because its been so long and has its differences to CB I just had an Anytone 878 PLus delivered this morning so that I can at least hear what's going on with analog. If I hadn't come across a youtube video of someone DXing I wouldn't be here. Its that hash sound. Its drawn me back in....

GaryWilson, Victor and essexham like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Going through my foundation course with Essex Ham   Going through my foundation course with Essex Ham Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2020 7:52 pm

Bark as much as you like mate Smile

Anyone pursuing their radio interests further should be justly proud of themselves, especially if after such a long break.
I agree, the Essex Ham course is fantastic, (took it myself), and the army of volunteers making it all possible in these uncertain times deserve a massive applause. 

Best of luck with your studies and exam.
(I nervously await my exam in the coming days.)

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Going through my foundation course with Essex Ham   Going through my foundation course with Essex Ham Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2020 8:29 pm

The 5th would be a good day Victor.
Not had any word from Essex Ham yet myself.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Going through my foundation course with Essex Ham   Going through my foundation course with Essex Ham Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2020 9:51 pm

There will be a nod in your direction for that tipple Alan, whatever day is good for you Smile

I shouldn't worry to much mate, Essex Ham were pretty overwhelmed with this course. There was a problem with the Schoology website so some didn't receive module updates. I luckily did even though the site reported my progress as incomplete, Pete reassured all of us affected. However some were bumped forward to the next course currently running.
Hopefully you'll hear soon, if not then drop them a line.

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
Gavala
Gavala

PostSubject: Re: Going through my foundation course with Essex Ham   Going through my foundation course with Essex Ham Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2020 10:10 pm

Thanks Victor.
Good luck to you too. Not sure if you've taken advantage of the free Mocks from a donation but its something I'll be doing.

G

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Going through my foundation course with Essex Ham   Going through my foundation course with Essex Ham Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2020 6:49 am

Thanks, much appreciated.

Well worth doing any mock exams available to you.

Don't forget, the RSGB also have some mock exams on their site too. Link below :-

RSGB - Mock Exams

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
essexham
essexham

Call Sign : M0PSX
QTH or Location : Southend-on-Sea
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-857

PostSubject: Re: Going through my foundation course with Essex Ham   Going through my foundation course with Essex Ham Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2020 3:30 pm

Thanks for the great feedback about our course. Glad to hear you've found it useful. 

Alan - without knowing your full name or email address, I can't check whether you're on the course, but you should have received an automatic email from us (check your spam) on the day you confirmed the course date - drop us an email via hamtrain.co.uk if you want us to check. Course details will be sent on the afternoon of the 3rd.

Pete

Sydthecat, PastaFazool, Victor and Sukivit like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.essexham.co.uk
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Going through my foundation course with Essex Ham   Going through my foundation course with Essex Ham Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2020 9:00 pm

Pete (Essex Ham)
Just found a contact email in my junk sent Wednesday.
Thanks for the nudge to look in there.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Going through my foundation course with Essex Ham   Going through my foundation course with Essex Ham Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2020 6:29 am

Well done Pete and all at Essex Ham 👍

Alan, glad you found your email contact. Isn't that junk box on email a pain sometimes! Very Happy
I hope you enjoy the course, I know I really did and can't sing their praises enough. Pete is extremely helpful and a very patient guy with a fantastic sense of humour. 

The very best of luck with it all and the same goes to anyone considering taking their first steps into becoming a Radio Amateur.

All the best,
Victor

Sukivit likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Going through my foundation course with Essex Ham   Going through my foundation course with Essex Ham Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2020 7:20 am

Thanks Victor and yes it is a pain in the R's.
Out this morning but will be checking all mailboxes when i get back home.
I might not even be on the list for this month if they are that busy.
And he will need a sense of humour with my short term memory and dyslexia lol.
Back to top Go down
Gavala
Gavala

PostSubject: Re: Going through my foundation course with Essex Ham   Going through my foundation course with Essex Ham Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2020 8:58 pm

I passed on the 14th 9 days ago.
If I could give one piece of advice it would be to not sit somewhere quiet at the other end of the house away from your WiFi hub. The invigilator will need you to run webchat cam software to observe you whilst doing the exam as well as you running the exam app, and it nearly had me fail at the start with the video giving up.
Instead, tell everyone else to bugger off to the other side of the house and you sit near the hub!

Just purchased the Yaesu FTM400DR/DE. Now looking for a base antenna to mount on the van for some static DXing.

Intermediate license this spring.

John123, Victor and Lonewolfprep like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Going through my foundation course with Essex Ham   Going through my foundation course with Essex Ham Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2020 10:16 pm

Congrats on the pass! 👏 Smile

I bet you panicked when you lost video! I lost video for a bit but luckily at the start and not during the exam, still made the old ticker go though. Nice tip for others.

I'd not heard of the FTM400 so off for a shifty at it now.

Wish you all the best with it and your plans for Intermediate.

Victor

Lonewolfprep likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Going through my foundation course with Essex Ham   Going through my foundation course with Essex Ham Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2020 5:55 am

Strange but i lost the video for a few seconds just before the exam started.
Lucky he was doing the 360 with another guy doing the exam at the same time as me when i lost it.

Lonewolfprep likes this post

Back to top Go down
Gavala
Gavala

PostSubject: Re: Going through my foundation course with Essex Ham   Going through my foundation course with Essex Ham Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2020 8:42 pm

So it happened to you guys too.
Mine was just after the 360 and I ran downstairs to claim the lounge. I lost sound with him but he could see me so we managed with a chat system.
Having spent so many hours revising, having the exam time moved and then revising all that day up until the 6pm kick off it stressed me out beyond belief.

I've purchased a few things including a hotspot as I'm taking extra time off this xmas to play.

Stay safe.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 148
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

PostSubject: Re: Going through my foundation course with Essex Ham   Going through my foundation course with Essex Ham Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2020 10:11 pm

Congratulations on passing your foundation and good luck with the intermediate.  Cool

73s John.
Back to top Go down
Gavala
Gavala

PostSubject: Re: Going through my foundation course with Essex Ham   Going through my foundation course with Essex Ham Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2020 7:49 pm

Thanks John. Bring on Spring  Arrow

John123 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Going through my foundation course with Essex Ham   Going through my foundation course with Essex Ham Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2020 8:32 pm

Gavala wrote:
Thanks John. Bring on Spring  Arrow
What happens in spring.
Back to top Go down

Going through my foundation course with Essex Ham
Page 1 of 1