Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» new call sign (Issued)
Foundation course  Icon_minitimeToday at 10:42 pm by John123

» CT call sign request (Information requested)
Foundation course  Icon_minitimeToday at 10:40 pm by John123

» CB antenna/ PMR antenna compatibility question.
Foundation course  Icon_minitimeToday at 10:13 pm by Razz229

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
Foundation course  Icon_minitimeToday at 8:42 pm by Razz229

» Hi new to this group just checkn in...
Foundation course  Icon_minitimeToday at 7:58 pm by GaryWilson

»  baofeng t1 mini handy users uk
Foundation course  Icon_minitimeToday at 2:59 pm by Izzi

» Store bought antenna to use with baofeng t1 mini handy
Foundation course  Icon_minitimeToday at 2:20 pm by Izzi

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
Foundation course  Icon_minitimeToday at 1:57 pm by micscave

» HF Contacts 15m
Foundation course  Icon_minitimeToday at 10:11 am by VanRougeT4

Keywords
Sirio Mckinley 9900 Baofeng sign president software power antenna meter 2023 2022 chart list call display frequency supply ALINCO anytone ss9900 6900 yaesu callsign Mobile lincoln
QRZ Database

Foundation course

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
TJS 26CT3029
Contributor
Contributor
TJS 26CT3029

Call Sign : 26-CT-3029
Times Thanked : 6
QTH or Location : Dudley
Equipment Used : CTR SS6900 cobra 29 ltd st Fidelity CB 3000FM Ham international multimode 2 Imax 2000

Foundation course  Empty
PostSubject: Foundation course    Foundation course  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 17, 2023 10:49 pm

Hi am doing the foundation course again I got covid last time so I did not finish it so asking a quick question what was your first radio did you get after you done the test I am looking to carry on to do full license I have been looking around what peoples advice 99 percent say if you hoping to go full don't get 10wat radio I am on budget so nothing to mad what you guys suggest I was looking at yaesu ft450d but what you guys suggest Thx

Victor and SangueG like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Foundation course  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foundation course    Foundation course  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 18, 2023 6:13 am

Hi John,

Firstly may I wish you the very best with your Foundation studies and future exam.

The following is maybe a humorous(?) take on your first rig choice......

Plop a grand or so on the counter of your local Ham Emporium and get the best radio you could ever have. Credit options available. Stick a rubbish antenna on it, pursue 'better' antennas at your leisure. Fiddle with settings ad infinitum. Get another mic.

Buy what you can afford second hand, hope for the best if it's a cost-of-living shack clear out 'spare rig' not used since nineteen-clickty-click or from a recently deceased/silent key estate sale.....sold as seen, 'spears or repars', no returns accepted. Sell it on if it turns out to be junk to some other unwitting fool.

Buy a 'cheap Chinese' rig, be initially very happy with it then bemoan said radio because you can't be assed to connect it to a decent antenna or think a 'decent antenna' is the most purchased/trending sale item currently on offer. Blame poor antenna choice on the low power said Chinese rig puts out.

You could do what I did and gratefully accept a donated rig given in good faith to then find out it's a bag of junk. Luckily I've slowly refurbished/repaired/restored it to working order (and weirdly enjoyed the experience!) learning all the way and didn't offload it to some other 'sap'. Cost me nothing except price of spares and my time, experiencing the inside workings of a radio more than most Hams ever do.

Build your own? Stupid me, thought it was mid 19-clickety-click again....but some do build impressive rigs still today.

Humour aside (sarcasm?....truth?) just enjoy your first radio experience, work with it as best as you can and enjoy your future licence by being on air no matter how you choose to do that.

The first option is the 'easiest' and there's many flavour of the month rigs on offer....until a 'better' one comes out.

Honestly I wish you well with it all John, your experience may well differ and I hope whatever you choose it puts a smile on your face. Foundation course  1f44d 

All the best,
Victor

TJS 26CT3029 and SangueG like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

Foundation course  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foundation course    Foundation course  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 18, 2023 8:20 am

I also wish you good luck with your studies and exam.

Soo many options depending on what you you want to do with radio. Let me suggest though another option into the mix for you to mull over.. don't buy one yet. As soon as you pass (if it is during the coming summer months, which I am sure it will be) get on to 10m with your SS6900. I did that and had a ball. Conditions are on the up, and with that radio you can have contacts on multiple modes. It's great for SSB E skip contacts, FM repeaters in Europe and the US, occasional AM, CW if you can master it, and even digital with a bit of work. Once you've had a blast, then decide what you might want to do next.

Some full licence operators only do QRP with FT817s and 8s by the way. Not all strive for the full licence just for the power Wink

Victor and TJS 26CT3029 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
TJS 26CT3029
Contributor
Contributor
TJS 26CT3029

Call Sign : 26-CT-3029
Times Thanked : 6
QTH or Location : Dudley
Equipment Used : CTR SS6900 cobra 29 ltd st Fidelity CB 3000FM Ham international multimode 2 Imax 2000

Foundation course  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foundation course    Foundation course  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 18, 2023 2:15 pm

I have a crt9900 aswell not a bad idea guys Thx

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
DerekF
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4631....M7OGB
Times Thanked : 5
QTH or Location : Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire
Equipment Used : Icom F25SR, Intaride IR-803, Baofeng UV-5R, Anytone AT-778UV

Foundation course  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foundation course    Foundation course  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 18, 2023 11:12 pm

Good luck with your studies and taking your foundation exam. 
Good luck with your search for a radio too, there are plenty of options available depending on your budget.
Back to top Go down
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4694, M7EUS
Times Thanked : 14
QTH or Location : Dorchester UK
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT950, 66FT Endfed Antenna, Various Other Bits and Pieces

Foundation course  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foundation course    Foundation course  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 19, 2023 6:23 am

The Foundation exam isn't too bad, if you aren't already on the Essex Ham course it is well worth doing it. Make sure to study licence conditions thoroughly as it contains 6 of the 26 marks I recently passed my Foundation and am looking to take my Intermediate, not for the extra power but for something to keep me occupied and the gray matter firing.

As for transceivers, I managed to buy a hardly used Icom 735 and a Chinese KN 990 SDR radio for good prices. If shopping on eBay, it is worth looking carefully at the usage scenario of the radio.

Good luck with the exam
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Foundation course  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foundation course    Foundation course  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Foundation course
Page 1 of 1