Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» CT call sign (Issued)
Baofeng - Baofeng query Icon_minitimeToday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
Baofeng - Baofeng query Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

Baofeng - Baofeng query Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Baofeng - Baofeng query Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
Baofeng - Baofeng query Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:49 pm by babis3g

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
Baofeng - Baofeng query Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

» Anytone 6667
Baofeng - Baofeng query Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:24 am by Julian brian

» Help needed
Baofeng - Baofeng query Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:02 am by Mighty mutts

» Is FM CB still alive?
Baofeng - Baofeng query Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:26 am by axlejack

Keywords
sign anytone ss9900 list call 9900 Sirio president Mckinley chart Mobile yaesu Baofeng frequency lincoln display meter power software callsign supply antenna 6900 2022 ALINCO 2023
QRZ Database

Baofeng query

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
26ct954
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-954, M7PLD..
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Ellesmere Port
Equipment Used : icom 718,cobweb,anytone 667,

Baofeng - Baofeng query Empty
PostSubject: Baofeng query   Baofeng - Baofeng query Icon_minitimeSat Nov 28, 2020 10:03 pm

Hi I don't know if I am asking in the wrong part of the forum, I have just been lent a baofeng uv-5r have been listening on 433.150, don't know a lot about these Freq is this 70cm, am getting confused I want to make a DIY 1/4 wave antenna just as a temp measure.. thanks
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Baofeng query   Baofeng - Baofeng query Icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2020 5:11 am

Hi Chris,

Some good info there from Martin.

433.150MHz is indeed in the Radio Amateur 70cm band and must've been given specifically to you, (or found out by you?), as it's a frequency for the repeater GB3CR which is in your neck of the woods. I presume you can hear local Ham chat on that frequency?

There are a few repeaters your way and typically a lot have converted to digital modes DMR/AllStar etc. meaning you won't be able to pick anything up from them on your Baofeng. If they have FM then you can listen to them.

Some other frequencies you could try are :-

430.86250 MHz - GB3PT repeater

433.25000 MHz - GB3LI repeater

433.17500 MHz - GB7SJ repeater

430.87500 MHz - GB7HN repeater

430.91250 MHz - GB3EG repeater

Those are 70cm repeaters and should be within listening range of you.

Also :-

145.68750 MHz - GB3SJ repeater - Hopefully that still has FM as it has AllStar modes mentioned.

145.63750 MHz - GB3VO repeater

These are the nearest 2m repeaters to you.

Type in any of those frequencies, wait a while and you should hear something even if just the repeater ident which is usually a Morse message, (of the repeaters name), or sometimes an automated spoken ident.

That will at least get you listening but as pointed out you'll need a Radio Amateur licence to actually speak on them, (and why I've given you the listening frequencies not the transmit Wink)

As Martin also pointed out you can also program the Baofeng for PMR frequencies. There's usually not a lot to be heard on them, maybe children playing on walkie-talkies, (same frequencies), and usually local businesses. You'll soon get bored of hearing "Sharon, can you come to the shop floor please" in that awful nasal way. Sometimes you'll hear local 'security' and that'll be typically "Dave! Dave! You copy?", swiftly followed by, "You coming for a smoke?"

Unless you have a mate also with a PMR radio it's a bit booooring....Even with a mate you'll find out you can't transmit far and realise you're both just playing walkie-talkie Wink

You could play with antenna building, it can be a lot of fun, but a 1/4 wave GP isn't likely to give you much more listening range than the rubber duck that comes with them. Little tip, it's VHF/UHF so you'll probably hear more outside of the house than you will inside but you could always hang out of the window and see how that fares. Get to the top of a local car park or some such and you'll have clear open air high views and hear much further.

Anyway, hope some of my waffle helps you in any way.

All the best,
Victor

26ct954 likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
26ct954
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-954, M7PLD..
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Ellesmere Port
Equipment Used : icom 718,cobweb,anytone 667,

PostSubject: Re: Baofeng query   Baofeng - Baofeng query Icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2020 6:57 am

NUBSTER wrote:
You can only use 70cms &2m which is what these Baofeng are for if your a licence Amateur ,incase you didnt know Chris, if you are one you will already know I only mentioned it just incase, you can programme them for PMR frequencies use only which is none licence like a two way walkie talkie .
,, good morning I have registered for hamtrain mock course from the 6 Dec for foundation, got the book trying,but a lot things don't make much sense..

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Baofeng query   Baofeng - Baofeng query Icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2020 8:32 am

You do the course and digest the book and you will pass.
I am laughing as i type but not at you and i bet Victor is when he sees this.
You can go over and over the course work as it will stay there for quite some time after the course finishes.

Victor and 26ct954 like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Baofeng query   Baofeng - Baofeng query Icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2020 9:38 am

Alan Pilot wrote:
You do the course and digest the book and you will pass.

Not laughing Alan, but smiling mate Smile

You did well and nice to see you pass it on 👍
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Baofeng query   Baofeng - Baofeng query Icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2020 10:08 am

I was surprised how much did sink in my befuddled old noggin as i coludn't seem to be able to remember anything.
But on the day things just came back when i read the question (3 times each in my dyslexic case).
So if i cam pass then you can believe me and most of all believe in yourself whoever you are.
And there is always our Victor to kick your rrrr's into play.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Baofeng query   Baofeng - Baofeng query Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Baofeng query
Page 1 of 1