Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» crt ss 9900
Which Multimode radio Icon_minitimeToday at 4:35 pm by stealth 57

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
Which Multimode radio Icon_minitimeToday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

» CT call sign (Issued)
Which Multimode radio Icon_minitimeToday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
Which Multimode radio Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

Which Multimode radio Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Which Multimode radio Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
Which Multimode radio Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

» Anytone 6667
Which Multimode radio Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:24 am by Julian brian

» Help needed
Which Multimode radio Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:02 am by Mighty mutts

Keywords
Sirio supply lincoln 9900 Baofeng call anytone antenna chart list Mobile meter president 6900 ss9900 ALINCO callsign Mckinley display 2023 software power 2022 sign yaesu frequency
QRZ Database

Which Multimode radio

Go down 
+6
karelgol
53 Prefect
Tristar
Sgt Bilko
NUBSTER
Swadeyboy
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Swadeyboy
Contributor
Contributor
Swadeyboy

Call Sign : 26-CT-3743
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Chingford London
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT450D and Sigma SE HF360 vertical

Which Multimode radio Empty
PostSubject: Which Multimode radio   Which Multimode radio Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2021 7:43 pm

I am looking for recommendations for a second radio for mobile use. i have narrowed down my choice to 3 units, President Mckinley, CRT 9900 and Alinco DX10. 

Thanks in advance.

Alan - Mirror Man, Swadeyboy and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Sgt Bilko
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sgt Bilko

Call Sign : 108 ct 302 - mm0ibe
Times Thanked : 17
QTH or Location : Prestonpans. East Lothian
Equipment Used : SS9900

PostSubject: Re: Which Multimode radio   Which Multimode radio Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2021 2:16 pm

CRT 9900 from me. Had the radio. 10m / 11m / 12m. Small. 60w ssb. 

Paul.

Pagan, Alan - Mirror Man and Swadeyboy like this post

Back to top Go down
Tristar
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Tristar

Call Sign : 26-CT-3771
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Weston-super-Mare
Equipment Used : CRT Millennium 3v hand sets, President Barry2

PostSubject: Re: Which Multimode radio   Which Multimode radio Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2021 5:26 pm

Hi. 
The President Mc Kinley IS a great radio where you can use the FM40 uk channels and the euro cept band with FM/AM/USB and LSB all on legal frequencies and power. 

Really enjoy mine and easy use menus.

Alan - Mirror Man and Swadeyboy like this post

Back to top Go down
Tristar
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Tristar

Call Sign : 26-CT-3771
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Weston-super-Mare
Equipment Used : CRT Millennium 3v hand sets, President Barry2

PostSubject: Re: Which Multimode radio   Which Multimode radio Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2021 9:13 am

Any update on your selected radio?

Back to top Go down
Swadeyboy
Contributor
Contributor
Swadeyboy

Call Sign : 26-CT-3743
QTH or Location : Chingford London
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT450D and Sigma SE HF360 vertical

PostSubject: Re: Which Multimode radio   Which Multimode radio Icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2021 10:08 am

I ended up ordering a CRT9900 after a conversation with CT318 Steve.
Thanks for all the advice guys.

Alan - Mirror Man and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
53 Prefect
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
53 Prefect

Call Sign : VA3XUK & G6ZGU
Times Thanked : 6
QTH or Location : Oro Medonte, Ontario
Equipment Used : Icom, Kenwood, Uniden, Stalker

PostSubject: Re: Which Multimode radio   Which Multimode radio Icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2021 12:54 pm

From what I have seen, heard and read, next small radio for me will be Xiego G90. The features on such a small, removable head radio, are crazy at that price.

Back to top Go down
karelgol
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
karelgol

Call Sign : 19-CT-024 / PD0GOL
QTH or Location : Steenwijk, JO32bs
Equipment Used : Dynascan AT5555,Yaesu FT-897, W3EDP junior, MFJ-925

PostSubject: Re: Which Multimode radio   Which Multimode radio Icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2021 3:02 pm

I also like to work local on FM. I miss that on the Xiego. Otherwise it looks like a fine piece of equipment.

Alan - Mirror Man likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sgt Bilko
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sgt Bilko

Call Sign : 108 ct 302 - mm0ibe
Times Thanked : 17
QTH or Location : Prestonpans. East Lothian
Equipment Used : SS9900

PostSubject: Re: Which Multimode radio   Which Multimode radio Icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2021 3:50 pm

The Xeigu G90 does do FM after a firmware update.

Alan - Mirror Man and karelgol like this post

Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Markone
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Markone

Call Sign : 26-CT-3433
QTH or Location : Hull
Equipment Used : Midland Alan 88s + crt 9900+5/8 gain master

PostSubject: Re: Which Multimode radio   Which Multimode radio Icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2021 5:11 pm

The crt9900 is a great little radio, on 11m worked S. America. Europe, Asia, all on just radio power. Now using it 10m with good results. Never had a bad audio report, even with standard mic. Cost £150 new, all radios have good and bad points, even top end. Its a hobby of trial  and error .enjoy your radio.
good luck
regards .

Alan - Mirror Man and 29CT063 like this post

Back to top Go down
53 Prefect
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
53 Prefect

Call Sign : VA3XUK & G6ZGU
QTH or Location : Oro Medonte, Ontario
Equipment Used : Icom, Kenwood, Uniden, Stalker

PostSubject: Re: Which Multimode radio   Which Multimode radio Icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2021 5:14 pm

A5H5ATAN1C wrote:
As much as I hate to be the bad news bear, the simple truth is none of the 'exports' are that great, low grade much of a muchness, so I'm not even going to suggest any 'CB' export or otherwise - I'll simply say that given none of the 'exports' are legit certified anyhow,  so stop pretending somehow and look at alternative ways of using 26-30 MHz using a better grade of kit entirely.  Sure I have an AT series rig I use, mostly for listening freeing up my ham gear from doing 10/11M snooping, but I use older and highly optimised (as in workshop optimised using proper instruments and rebuilt to worthy 10m operational grade purity levels)  old monobanders and be done with it for legit working.

My honest second set for mobile or semi-manpack source for non-SSB ops would be a TYT TH-9800 quad bander and just preset all the memories with the various channelized blocks on 27 MHz and Tx-Inhibited on anything else it can cover also in memory presets and lock into preset mode.

At least it's HF section providing the 26-30 MHz part of the quad band will be of a much better grade to start with (given what the radio is essentially a Chinese copy of on many levels).  Even a brand matchef quad band vertical for the car is cheap and accessible.  If you're going to push the veil of legitimacy, do it with something that's actually higher spec on it's HF side from the outset.  At least the purity of output has a hope of being better and based on the one I had here on loan, better receiver on 11/10 than any 'CB' or export set - more like the FT-818 as a receiver in fact (but still a long way short of that ultimately).

In fact, if you dig deep, you can actually get a fascia you swap remote head guts into, that looks more CB or Pro LMR than it's Yaseu ham/LMR style appearance.

Now for true multimode 26-30mhz high quality potential, mobile or otherwise, that's semi-portable in scope, you won't see change much out of £500 unless you're gifted such a piece of gear (such as an unwanted FT-747GX with the very rare FM option fitted).  But that's really a transportable portable.  About the nearest multimode that's true mobile/portable/shoulder worn manpack light and compact of quality, at the price of best case 5W Tx output, would be a £700 odd FT-818, a used example of or a used FT-817ND, but those have very high resale prices and scarcity of used market availability - reflecting how loved they actually are.

But I'll say, as a 26-30Mhz AM/FM unit with far wider listening scope, the TH-9800 wins on value easily vs any export option and probably to many on all round quality - I've actually decided to add one to my permanent collection now i've thought it through and mentioned it as a possible choice on here.

That said, for me, easier to live with as I can 100% justify it's presence and possession of without issue.
Not really sure how this relates to the OPs question to be honest.

Alan - Mirror Man, Markone, Tristar and bubbles like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan - Mirror Man
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan - Mirror Man

Call Sign : 108CT233
Times Thanked : 14
QTH or Location : Central Scotland
Equipment Used : CRT SS9900 Beofeng UV5R Yaesu FTDX1200 CRT Micron CRT FP00 Sattelite 2000 antenna ZS6BKW X30 co-linear

PostSubject: Re: Which Multimode radio   Which Multimode radio Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2021 2:16 pm

I like my 9900 even though I have a couple of wide-banded HF sets which cover the band I like using a C.B. to chat to others on the C.B. I know I will do better on the Yeasu with its built in speech processor etc on 11M SSB but I like to have the dedicated C.B. there hooked up to a twig all the time and I feel its a bit more of a challenge when you do make the DX contacts on the little set to.  I haven't had it on 10M yet but I hear others discuss some sporadic action on their quite recently so I look forward to making contacts there with it too.

Aren't these digital radios great?  Does FM after a firmware upgrade...that's what I like to hear!

Markone and 29CT063 like this post

Back to top Go down
29CT063

Call Sign : 29-CT-063
QTH or Location : Cork Ireland
Equipment Used : crt ss9900 with anton99

PostSubject: Re: Which Multimode radio   Which Multimode radio Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2021 1:32 pm

I'm in same boat as they say !
Looking at Lincoln 2 plus and cry ss9900.
Some say audio on great on Lincoln 2

I got big fingers hence why I was looking at Lincoln but for mobile CB use in nissan juke the ss9900.
Won't be mounting any CB as too tight in juke so would leave everything like power and antenna but disconnect the CB and whip when not using.
I got to use friends ss9900 and was impress with contacts he made and how clear the audio was.

Like the Lincoln too.

Alan - Mirror Man likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which Multimode radio   Which Multimode radio Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which Multimode radio
Page 1 of 1