Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
Keywords
Sirio SS6900 call chart radio division display Mobile 9900 power ss9900 6900 frequency lincoln president sign ALINCO yaesu midland list antenna Baofeng Calling Mckinley 2022 callsign
QRZ Database

ProComm PT-99 PROTON – Fibreglass Base Station Antenna Review

Go down 
+3
Tristar
Victor
Bloodhound
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Bloodhound
Bloodhound

Call Sign : 108-CT-1529 2M0AIV
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Castle Douglas, Scotland
Equipment Used : SS9900

antenna - ProComm PT-99 PROTON – Fibreglass Base Station Antenna Review Empty
PostSubject: ProComm PT-99 PROTON – Fibreglass Base Station Antenna Review   antenna - ProComm PT-99 PROTON – Fibreglass Base Station Antenna Review Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2022 2:16 pm

ProComm PT-99 PROTON – Fibreglass Base Station Antenna

I have recently purchased a PT99 - seen this new Base Station Antenna which is very obviously a USA manufactured copy of the Antron A99.  Unlike the Antron A99 it comes in 4 sections instead of 3 and is stated as tested in 90mph winds. The company states : "The ProComm PT-99 is a fibreglass, 1/2 wave station antenna for DX use - tuneable from 26-30 MHz. The antenna can be used for the 11-meter CB band and 10-meter amateur band.

Features / Specifications:
  • Frequency Range: 26-30 MHz tuneable

• 1/2 wave Omni-directional

• Gain: 9.9 dBi

• Power: 2000 Watt PEP

• Materials: Fiberglass, Chromed-plated parts

• Antenna Connector: UHF-female

• Mounting: side-mount on masts with a diameter of Ø 40 mm

• Height: 565cm"

Having had several Antron A99's in the past I was inclined to stick with what I know, but as it can get quite windy here in the Galloway Forest in Scotland and I have lose several A99's to wild weather and wind, I decided to give the P99 a try, as the 4 section P99 I thought would provide greater stability in high winds (less strain on each section).

The result of which I was more than pleasantly surprised.  I mounted it 15ft from Ground level and my QTH is 411ft above sea level.  My first contact was into Germany on FM  miles  13EK013 Op Jorgan, RS5/9+10dB location North of Frankfurt followed by 13Fox001 in Nuremburg about the same distance again on FM  RS5/9 (using 2/3 power on my CRT SS9900) on a FM Lift.  I was very pleased with the way this P99 Antenna was performing.  I have since worked into Puerto Rico RS5/9 on USB to 11SD30Y (4114 miles).  I have had many other contacts since then, but have quoted these as examples of the Procom P99 Proton in Action. The antenna has since survived two storms with high winds to hit Scotland over the last couple of weeks, and I look forward to a long relationship with this Antenna, highly recommended.  My punt away from the Antron A99 has paid off in my opinion.
108CT1529 Andrew 

Victor and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 Ham M7VIC
Times Thanked : 214
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: ProComm PT-99 PROTON – Fibreglass Base Station Antenna Review   antenna - ProComm PT-99 PROTON – Fibreglass Base Station Antenna Review Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2022 5:25 pm

Hi Andy,

Thanks for sharing details of this antenna you've purchased and your own personal opinions on it. This can often help fellow members who are looking at the same product maybe ready to click that 'buy it now' button. Wink

From all accounts the old A99 had a mixed bag of reviews whether it was the original Antron or later Solarcon usually performing suitably when they first get it then later 'upgrading' to a 5/8ths antenna often after their original has failed.

Hopefully as you've suggested this P99 version lasts longer and I'm sure time will tell. Perhaps you can report back on it in the future to see how it has faired but I'm sure that if it's survived the recent Scottish storm blasts it should do well.

I see unfortunately that the manufacturers still stick to their wild gain claims and anyone in the know will read straight through the 9.9dBi apparent gain(!) It's still essentially a basic half wave antenna that can perform well even when mounted low so will cover local copies and does surprisingly well when some Sporadic E 'skip' action comes in. When some 'upgrade' to 5/8ths type of antennas they see that there local copy range improves but unless mounted high enough doesn't fare as well on the skip as a low mounted half wave.

Anyway, all interesting stuff and I'm sure that there'll be others that'll give their personal view on it too.

Thanks again for your input to the Charlie Tango forum, it's members input that really makes it all the grand place it is. 

All the best,
Victor

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Tristar
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Tristar

Call Sign : 26-CT-3771
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Weston-super-Mare
Equipment Used : CRT Millennium 3v hand sets Pama GT-19

PostSubject: Re: ProComm PT-99 PROTON – Fibreglass Base Station Antenna Review   antenna - ProComm PT-99 PROTON – Fibreglass Base Station Antenna Review Icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2022 6:07 pm

Hi 👋🏻 
I’m still using a A99 Solarcom which I switched back to FROM a 5/8ths as the 1/2 wave n my local was working better than the 5/8. 

Antennas can be a mystery that work great in one person’s local and situation and poor in someone else’s. 🤷‍�😆

Gotta love the try it for yourself and see 👍🏴????????????????????????

Bloodhound likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bloodhound
Bloodhound

Call Sign : 108-CT-1529 2M0AIV
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Castle Douglas, Scotland
Equipment Used : SS9900

PostSubject: Re: ProComm PT-99 PROTON – Fibreglass Base Station Antenna Review   antenna - ProComm PT-99 PROTON – Fibreglass Base Station Antenna Review Icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2022 6:14 pm

I am really happy with The procomm P99 I have had many Antron A99 over the years, but personally glad that I took the punt on the procomm. We are currently experiencing storms and high winds for the third time in tow weeks, I am happy that no damage has occurred and it does what it says on the box, stand up to 90mph gusts of wind, which we have our fair share of in Scotland lol. Cheers Andrew 108CT1529

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 20
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700

PostSubject: Re: ProComm PT-99 PROTON – Fibreglass Base Station Antenna Review   antenna - ProComm PT-99 PROTON – Fibreglass Base Station Antenna Review Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2022 8:26 am

I'd love to see the modelling of how they get 9.9dBi gain from a half-wave omni directional vertical over a half-wave dipole!

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wireless
Major contributor
Major contributor
Wireless

Call Sign : M5WJF / 26-CT-4345 / 26-TC-4345
Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : Shrewsbury IO82OQ
Equipment Used : kit

PostSubject: Re: ProComm PT-99 PROTON – Fibreglass Base Station Antenna Review   antenna - ProComm PT-99 PROTON – Fibreglass Base Station Antenna Review Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2022 11:03 am

Victor wrote:
I see unfortunately that the manufacturers still stick to their wild gain claims and anyone in the know will read straight through the 9.9dBi apparent gain(!) It's still essentially a basic half wave antenna that can perform well even when mounted low so will cover local copies and does surprisingly well when some Sporadic E 'skip' action comes in. When some 'upgrade' to 5/8ths type of antennas they see that there local copy range improves but unless mounted high enough doesn't fare as well on the skip as a low mounted half wave.

43CT016
I'd love to see the modelling of how they get 9.9dBi gain from a half-wave omni directional vertical over a half-wave dipole!

Yup, 2.2dBi gain for any half-wave dipole, even if dB and dBi figures were interchangeable (they are not), more than 35 metres of RG-58 on its own would cause a negative gain overall, not even considering connector losses in PL-259 SO-239 above 7MHz

I suggest a large pinch of salt is required when looking at specifications provided to sell anything.

Next they will be selling cans of SWR Spray...

antenna - ProComm PT-99 PROTON – Fibreglass Base Station Antenna Review 462_610

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 46
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: ProComm PT-99 PROTON – Fibreglass Base Station Antenna Review   antenna - ProComm PT-99 PROTON – Fibreglass Base Station Antenna Review Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2022 11:44 am

This is the boy for the job.
antenna - ProComm PT-99 PROTON – Fibreglass Base Station Antenna Review Swr10

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mints

Call Sign : 26-CT-4316
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Redcar
Equipment Used : Yeasu 450d

PostSubject: Re: ProComm PT-99 PROTON – Fibreglass Base Station Antenna Review   antenna - ProComm PT-99 PROTON – Fibreglass Base Station Antenna Review Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2022 3:43 pm

Just got a proton 99 not happy with band with but let’s see how it works
I sure my old Antron 99 30 years did 26 to 28 1.1 but will see
The starduster 27 probably been my best antenna from years ago

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tristar
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Tristar

Call Sign : 26-CT-3771
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Weston-super-Mare
Equipment Used : CRT Millennium 3v hand sets Pama GT-19

PostSubject: Re: ProComm PT-99 PROTON – Fibreglass Base Station Antenna Review   antenna - ProComm PT-99 PROTON – Fibreglass Base Station Antenna Review Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2022 4:27 pm

Hi All.
I have a Homebase A99 which works well here.
I’m only 11ft above sea level but when there’s no lift the antenna does well on only a 20 ft pole. The pole is made of aluminium 5ft sections and if these a bit of skip works even better dropping the height to only a 10ft pole. Just my experience at my QTH. 👍

SangueG and Mints like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mints

Call Sign : 26-CT-4316
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Redcar
Equipment Used : Yeasu 450d

PostSubject: Re: ProComm PT-99 PROTON – Fibreglass Base Station Antenna Review   antenna - ProComm PT-99 PROTON – Fibreglass Base Station Antenna Review Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2022 5:55 pm

Be nice to see the difference but will just keep this for now
Might get a gainmaster next not sure 1/2 or 5/8

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ProComm PT-99 PROTON – Fibreglass Base Station Antenna Review   antenna - ProComm PT-99 PROTON – Fibreglass Base Station Antenna Review Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ProComm PT-99 PROTON – Fibreglass Base Station Antenna Review
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Help and Discussion Forums :: Antenna Discussion-
Jump to: