Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
SWR new antenna - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 8:49 pm by SangueG

» CW sidesweeper, new project
SWR new antenna - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 4:13 pm by karelgol

» Swedish Repeater on Ch20 Mid
SWR new antenna - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 1:29 pm by Vasilis

» CRT SS 9900 V4
SWR new antenna - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 11:57 am by babis3g

» Moved from Introductions
SWR new antenna - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:43 pm by babis3g

» Mr Macmillan (Information requested)
SWR new antenna - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:07 pm by John123

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
SWR new antenna - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:52 pm by Razz229

» New member (Issued)
SWR new antenna - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:43 pm by GaryWilson

» 27.555 usb from a longwire
SWR new antenna - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:45 pm by stephen Gunrunner

Keywords
meter frequency lincoln 9900 chart Baofeng power Mckinley ALINCO antenna ss9900 yaesu supply Sirio Mobile call list president 2023 callsign anytone display 2022 software sign 6900
QRZ Database

SWR new antenna

Go down 
+7
BASS 666
43CT016
Northern Crusader
Victor
Alan Pilot
Sharpshooter
bill53uk
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
bill53uk

Call Sign : 26-CT-3036
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Hemel Hempstead.
Equipment Used : CRT SS6900N

SWR new antenna - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: SWR new antenna   SWR new antenna - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2022 11:07 pm

still not happy no. the crt 6900 is only 15watts and the other rig i have (anytone 6666) is 45 watts so my swr could go up. not tried it yet though. Im not the only one thats had trouble look here 
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/copythat/sirio-megawatt-4000-t15472-s10.html
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: SWR new antenna   SWR new antenna - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2022 6:35 am

But it shouldn't alter whatever radio is connected.
SWR is what is reflected back down the coax to the radio and only caused by the antenna setup.
As we have been saying all along the radio and power won't alter the swr well it shouldn't.
Back to top Go down
BASS 666

QTH or Location : belfast
Equipment Used : none yet

PostSubject: Re: SWR new antenna   SWR new antenna - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2022 7:06 am

bill53uk wrote:
still not happy no. the crt 6900 is only 15watts and the other rig i have (anytone 6666) is 45 watts so my swr could go up. not tried it yet though. Im not the only one thats had trouble look here 
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/copythat/sirio-megawatt-4000-t15472-s10.html
my 6900 is 35 to 40 watts so why is yours only 15 watts ? an swr of 1.5 is spot on if that's what you can get it down to ... have you tried it out yet did you get good copies ?
Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: SWR new antenna   SWR new antenna - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2022 8:53 am

Bit late to this. Think I mentioned on another thread previously about when increasing power the SWR can rise and why, but might be dreaming or at least I can't find it. In short it can rise if there is something wrong with the antenna system (and I don't mean just length), e.g. connections, feeder, ground, or it interacting with something close by.

My SWR rises with increased power on 12m and 17m because of interaction between other elements primarily, plus other junk in the loft. 10m, 11m, 12m elements are so physically close, as are 15m and 17m (layout pic on QRZ), there is little I can do about it. But at the small power levels I am using I am not fussed, and all it works well enough.

Quick vid. Sorry it's a bit blurry, was rushing and my close up vision is getting worse by the day Embarassed

Might be a bit late now, but if your tuning your mobile twig and you're out in the open with no large metal nearby that it might interact with, and SWR is rising when you turn your power up, I would seriously check your connections and feeder cable.

BASS 666 Gary, my 6900 is currently set to 21 watts max on SSB. Think output depends on rig release version, if it's set up for fully export, or in my case if someone (me) has been twiddling.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: SWR new antenna   SWR new antenna - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2022 10:08 am

Thanks for taking the time to make and post a video Neal. Awesome stuff as always. SWR new antenna - Page 2 1f44d

Let's not forget that most cheap SWR meters work with a simple 'strip-line' which is not only very frequency dependent but also this strip-line is usually not isolated/shielded from the actual analogue meter. Once you go up in power or even frequency there will be more mutual coupling or RF leakage from the RF carrying strip-line to the circuitry and coil of the meter obviously upsetting readings.

On more expensive meters that utilise a strip-line it is completely isolated from the metering circuit with metal shielding to prevent ambiguous readings.

On yet even more expensive meters there will be a different method of measurement rather than a strip-line such as a tandem match, bruene bridge or similar utilising ferrite materials to provide better measurements across a wide range of frequencies and power levels. There may also be more circuitry to prevent measurement errors, PEP functions, etc. Some use a resistive tap line for sampling and read direct through a semiconductor device which can then output to further analogue circuitry to an analogue meter or even an embedded microprocessor system to a digital display.

I know all this 'nonsense' because I modified my simple strip-line Zetagi SWR meter to a tandem match to provide frequency dependent readings as well as additional circuitry for error correction and PEP hold measurements. Wink

(I know, I said I'd post details of this homebrew affair but currently it's apart to fit in my newly built/being built ATU!)

Simply put, you can either fork out for a very expensive SWR meter, (some do and even have a collection of them!!), or sensibly utilise what you have.

On a cheap meter you'd use a lower power ensuring you calibrate your forward setting and tune for best SWR. Don't bother trying to go for the fabled 1:1 SWR reading just try and make sure you're reading less than 2, (90% efficiency!), or a bit lower than that. Even 1.5 is a 96% efficiency! SWR new antenna - Page 2 1f44d

SWR and tuning an antenna.....can be as simple as you like or flipping complicated.

(I won't even get into how field strength readings can be better than simple SWR processes, the ambiguous 50 ohm impedance or other matters. Very Happy )

All the best,
Victor

Alan Pilot likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
bill53uk

PostSubject: Re: SWR new antenna   SWR new antenna - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2022 1:32 pm

I have ordered a new good value swr meter and i am waiting for delivery. I am sorry that I said my rig was only 15watts, I have investigated further and found that it is in fact 40watts am/fm not 15w as i said in earlier
Back to top Go down
Zodian01
Zodian01

Call Sign : 26-CT-3362
QTH or Location : Stretford, Manchester
Equipment Used : SS7900,Whistler TRX1, Baofeng 1702, CRT Space-U, HackRF 1, Radio Shack Pro97

PostSubject: Re: SWR new antenna   SWR new antenna - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2022 1:59 pm

Could try a Matcher for the SWR.  Seems to work for me.  I use a Zetagi combined SWR and Matcher meter.  Handy bit of kit.  Just a suggestion.

Regards, Ant.  (zodian01)
Back to top Go down
BASS 666

QTH or Location : belfast
Equipment Used : none yet

PostSubject: Re: SWR new antenna   SWR new antenna - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2022 5:07 pm

bill53uk wrote:
I have ordered a new good value swr meter and i am waiting for delivery. I am sorry that I said my rig was only 15watts, I have investigated further and found that it is in fact 40watts am/fm not 15w as i said in earlier
if you are using the built in swr meter it is good enough .. i have a very expensive meter and my built in meter is very close to it in measurement ..
Back to top Go down
Andy2490
Andy2490

Call Sign : 108-CT-345
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Newcastleton
Equipment Used : Bearcat 980/ TTI 881

PostSubject: Re: SWR new antenna   SWR new antenna - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2022 9:05 pm

Hi did this get sorted, I've not read through all the comments, but did anyone mention the position of the mag mount ideally being central on the vehicle and also making sure that all doors are closed on the car when adjusting swr, just a thought.
Back to top Go down
bill53uk

PostSubject: Re: SWR new antenna   SWR new antenna - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2022 1:24 am

hi all sorry it been a long time since last came on, I have got the swr down to 1.2 on 1 and 1.3 on 40 and thats how far ive got. you have been a great help many thanks lads

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: SWR new antenna   SWR new antenna - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2022 6:30 am

Glad you got it sorted out.
Back to top Go down
bill53uk

PostSubject: Re: SWR new antenna   SWR new antenna - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2022 9:46 pm

it been very frustrating at times. because my car has half sun roof i have to put the antenna further back. I landed taking about 2.5inches off the antenna. but thanks for all your help and ideas. 73.s charlie tango 3036.
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 350
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: SWR new antenna   SWR new antenna - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2022 9:08 am

That's a more than acceptable SWR well done I hope you enjoy making many contacts.

73's Gary.
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SWR new antenna   SWR new antenna - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SWR new antenna
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Community Hangout :: General Chat-
Jump to: