Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
A good homebrew 2m/70cm antenna to build for on the roof. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:49 pm by SangueG

» CW sidesweeper, new project
A good homebrew 2m/70cm antenna to build for on the roof. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:13 pm by karelgol

» Swedish Repeater on Ch20 Mid
A good homebrew 2m/70cm antenna to build for on the roof. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:29 pm by Vasilis

» CRT SS 9900 V4
A good homebrew 2m/70cm antenna to build for on the roof. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:57 am by babis3g

» Moved from Introductions
A good homebrew 2m/70cm antenna to build for on the roof. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2024 11:43 pm by babis3g

» Mr Macmillan (Information requested)
A good homebrew 2m/70cm antenna to build for on the roof. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2024 11:07 pm by John123

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
A good homebrew 2m/70cm antenna to build for on the roof. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2024 8:52 pm by Razz229

» New member (Issued)
A good homebrew 2m/70cm antenna to build for on the roof. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2024 7:43 pm by GaryWilson

» 27.555 usb from a longwire
A good homebrew 2m/70cm antenna to build for on the roof. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2024 1:45 pm by stephen Gunrunner

Keywords
anytone chart display 6900 Mobile power list callsign lincoln meter call supply antenna Sirio Baofeng 9900 yaesu Mckinley ss9900 2023 president 2022 ALINCO software sign frequency
QRZ Database

A good homebrew 2m/70cm antenna to build for on the roof.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Uncle P
Uncle P

Call Sign : 26-CT-4640
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Prescot, Merseyside
Equipment Used : Little boxes wi' knobs on and big metal stick thingy

A good homebrew 2m/70cm antenna to build for on the roof. Empty
PostSubject: A good homebrew 2m/70cm antenna to build for on the roof.   A good homebrew 2m/70cm antenna to build for on the roof. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2022 10:21 pm

I'm looking for a new challenge. It must be reasonably simple though coz I'm a thicko. I have managed dipoles and T2LTs for 11m before. I wont mention some of the monstrosities I tried to build in my earlier years. Lets just say the front of my house resembled Windy Millers windmill at one point. I think I even attempted to turn my bedroom into one big antenna. Can't remember how I got on with that project though I must admit my sperm count isn't what it should be I guess A good homebrew 2m/70cm antenna to build for on the roof. 1f62b 
I want to make a simple 2m/70cm antenna that I can put up on my roof. Something that's going to aid me not just for receiving but for transmitting also, for when I pass my foundation(there's positive mental attitude for ya A good homebrew 2m/70cm antenna to build for on the roof. 1f609). I look forward to the flood of suggestions from you guys.

73's
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: A good homebrew 2m/70cm antenna to build for on the roof.   A good homebrew 2m/70cm antenna to build for on the roof. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2022 7:27 am

My first 2m/70cm was a home made job.
Found a video on the net and followed that.
2 lengths of welding rod the type used with gas welding.
Literally bent in a tight U with one end at 19" and the other at 9" those are just a guess but you will find the video easy enough you need 2 the same.
I then got some plastic conduit and a junction 3 way and with a washer i bolted the 2 rods into the junction and fitted eyes to a length of coax and fastened them with a second nut to the 2 bolts.
Fitted the conduit over them and a third bit so i could fix it up on the end of my old shack.
I made the rods a tad longer so i could trim for SWR but only had to take off what i added.
Look up some videos i found plenty.
Forgot to say it worked well.

Tonyvic and Uncle P like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: A good homebrew 2m/70cm antenna to build for on the roof.   A good homebrew 2m/70cm antenna to build for on the roof. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2022 9:11 am

J-poles, J-poles, J-poles.....Slim Jim's.

That's what you'll tend to find or be suggested when asking for a dual VHF/UHF antenna. They'll come in various 'flavours' too like the 'copper cactus' made from copper plumbing pipe, 300 ohm ribbon type feeder or apparent colinear types with bends, windings or bits of coax purporting unsubstantiated 'gain'.

Knock yourself out, have a bit of fun, don't worry about failing or landing up with a poor antenna.

Most then go on to buy a typical 'white stick' solution.....

For 2m operation I built an extended double Zepp antenna (basically a long dipole) from bits of wire and garden canes. It has some gain and performs flawlessly in the loft where it still remains in use today. Peter Parker VK3YE explains one out nicely on a video of his :-

https://youtu.be/Q-t8NBL67fc

It just about manages UHF too and almost as poorly as some of the other dual band affairs!.....Best have another antenna for 70cm. Wink

For UHF I made a smaller scaled down version of the above but a simple short dipole will work better than most other suggestions.

All of these work and are mounted in a loft too....not everyone has success with a typical J-pole and usually attribute strange notions like the roof tiles 'attenuating' the signals for their failings.

You'll also usually hear about how you need 'better coax' for any of these to work but if you keep coax runs short losses are far less. I actually use good quality TV type coax with the 75 ohm impedance not being an issue and the foil screened foam stuff has far less losses than most cheaper coax cable yet cost a fraction of the price. Usually available from most local DIY outlets too instead of your well marked up radio emporium.

If you simply want to hear the nearest repeater then knock yourself out with any old bit of bent wire. If you want to hear simplex operations and far more repeaters further afield then build a 'better' antenna.

Repeaters have made people lazy with VHF/UHF operations and you can do so much more than you'd think possible. 

All the best,
Victor

Alan Pilot, TheReverend, Tonyvic and Uncle P like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Uncle P
Uncle P

Call Sign : 26-CT-4640
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Prescot, Merseyside
Equipment Used : Little boxes wi' knobs on and big metal stick thingy

PostSubject: Re: A good homebrew 2m/70cm antenna to build for on the roof.   A good homebrew 2m/70cm antenna to build for on the roof. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2022 11:10 am

Good morning Alan 

That sounds much like one I was watching earlier. That was done with coat hangers though and it was rough and ready but did the job. Yours sounds nice and tidy. I think a trip to B&Q is on the cards in the near future. I'd be happy with that sat on my roof. 

Good morning Victor

I was looking at J Poles. Looks like the slide off a trombone Very Happy  One for the future I think, as is the Double Zepp. The Zepp looks easy enough to do but I think that one would have to go on a pole in the garden rather than on the roof. 
Yes the coax issue was brought up on a few videos I watched. RG213 was mentioned. I could buy another rig for what it would cost me for that stuff to reach the bottom of my garden. Getting RG8x made my wallet gasp for breath but I was never gonna go as low as RG58.  Well I didn't realise you could use TV coax for radio. I always thought 50 ohms was a must. That's something else learned.  

Thanks for the suggestions fellas. I will certainly be giving them a try. I will be sure to post pictures of my efforts in the forum.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend fellas

73's

Paul

Victor, Alan Pilot and TheReverend like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: A good homebrew 2m/70cm antenna to build for on the roof.   A good homebrew 2m/70cm antenna to build for on the roof. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2022 11:25 am

Look forward to some pictures of what you're up to Paul. A good homebrew 2m/70cm antenna to build for on the roof. 1f44d

Yep, 75 ohms will at worst give you a SWR of 1.5:1 as far as impedance but I've used it for all sorts and often have a lower SWR. Nowadays I'm all about open wire feeders and 600 ohm ladder-line. Wink

Enjoy your Sunday......I'm off for a bit of toad-in-the-hole roast soon with just me and the missus then we'll probably nod off on the sofas digesting it! Smile

73's to you buddy,
Victor

TheReverend and Uncle P like this post

Back to top Go down
TheReverend
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3921 / M7GDA
Times Thanked : 6
QTH or Location : Lambourn
Equipment Used : CRT SS9900, CRT ONE N, CRT Electro, UV-5r, B550p, HP-202, Sirio 4000, T2lT, Sharmans X-50, Diamond A430....and many bits of wire.

PostSubject: Re: A good homebrew 2m/70cm antenna to build for on the roof.   A good homebrew 2m/70cm antenna to build for on the roof. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2022 1:07 am

Hi All,

And just a quick question on suitable antenna materials if I may?  I have a couple of 3-4 metre lengths of 79 strand copper speaker wire languishing in my hallway currently, as they're bound for the electrical recycling.....I keep on looking at them, as if in some way finding them useful to re-use for an antenna?

Your thoughts are welcome

Cheers,

Simon.

Uncle P likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: A good homebrew 2m/70cm antenna to build for on the roof.   A good homebrew 2m/70cm antenna to build for on the roof. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2022 6:22 am

Hi Simon,

Good quality copper cable is perfect for antenna experiments it just depends on if you have enough of the stuff.

For your short lengths you could build a 2m dipole, an EDZ I mentioned above, a two element yagi beam, a Moxon rectangle, etc. etc.

Obviously wire is 'floppy' compared to nice aluminium tubing but it's also better conducting. Strap it to some nice bits of wood, garden canes, dowelling, plastic piping or whatever to hold the shape you're after......it doesn't have to be "pretty" to work. Wink

Little tip - after you've built a working antenna with everything connected and trimmed to size seal the ends of the copper wire with something like the better half's nail enamel nail varnish to prevent the copper corroding. 

If you're going to mount such a monstrosity outside then a bit of external use varnish wouldn't go amiss to waterproof it otherwise stick it in the loft or use it as a temporary setup. 

I still think building and experimenting with antennas is about the most fun you can have with bits of wire.

All the best,
Victor

Uncle P likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A good homebrew 2m/70cm antenna to build for on the roof.   A good homebrew 2m/70cm antenna to build for on the roof. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A good homebrew 2m/70cm antenna to build for on the roof.
Page 1 of 1