Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Request callsign....
using the old multimode Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:42 pm by 53 Prefect

» Yes, I am still breathing.
using the old multimode Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:36 pm by 53 Prefect

» 1/2 wav or 5/8 wav
using the old multimode Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:35 pm by Des Collier

» My New CB Radio YouTube channel.
using the old multimode Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:31 pm by 53 Prefect

» Call Sign Application
using the old multimode Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:10 pm by Robert Martin

» Which handheld
using the old multimode Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:58 pm by GhostRider

» Activity around Portsmouth UK
using the old multimode Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:48 am by GhostRider

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
using the old multimode Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2024 8:49 pm by SangueG

» CW sidesweeper, new project
using the old multimode Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2024 4:13 pm by karelgol

Keywords
president Sirio ss9900 Baofeng yaesu Mobile display ALINCO antenna meter supply anytone call list 9900 2023 frequency 2022 power callsign lincoln chart 6900 sign software Mckinley
QRZ Database

using the old multimode

Go down 
+2
SangueG
skyrider
6 posters
AuthorMessage
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4654
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Preston, Lancs.
Equipment Used : UNIDEN 100, midland alan 78 plus multi + mag mount , silver rod

using the old multimode Empty
PostSubject: using the old multimode   using the old multimode Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2022 9:52 pm

right many years ago i started off with a ham international multimode 2 which i still have would it still be ok to use this (legal wise) or would it be better to get a more modern ssb usb/lsb rig , answers on a post card thanks   Laughing
Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: using the old multimode   using the old multimode Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2022 10:15 pm

Hi Lionel. The Multimode 2 is not type approved and so not legal to use here in UK. That said, people do use them, I would if I had one. The chances of being caught are not as high as back in the day. Choice to use and take the small risk is up to you Smile

Victor and skyrider like this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: using the old multimode   using the old multimode Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2022 10:32 pm

Hi Lionel,

Lovely radio - completely 'illegal' - but it ain't stopped anyone yet! Wink

Not many of the radios on the market today are technically 'type approved' apart from a few exceptions yet those and many of the older radios are in use everyday.

No legal advice is given here but the old days of the Radio Communications Agency or 'Buzby' knocking at the door are thankfully long gone. Besides, unless you boast about what you're transmitting on who would know?

I know, I know, some are probably shuddering in their boots at those words or ready to condone me but honestly there are far more heinous crimes you could be committing in society today.

Technically a 'Ham' could use one of the 'type approved' radios today on 10m totally legally or they could use it on CB as it's now a licence free system, but......they couldn't use the same radio on both....Go figure!?!

(To be 'legal' they'd have to own two different radios even if they're the same model!)

Madness I know but the world has slightly caught up. You're far less likely to be prosecuted for using an 'illegal' CB than you are texting whilst driving and so it should be. I don't know anyone killed or maimed whilst operating a non-approved radio.....

Of course, I'm now a 'licenced' Ham so shudder at my own thoughts.....only because I've become protective over it and wouldn't want some miserable old sod doing their very best to 'dob' me in. Razz

If they wanted to start hammering down on radio operators they'd be best using their time to track down the ignoramuses that key up on repeaters, key & whistle over HF transmissions or scream "this frequency is in use!" when it clearly isn't.

Again, no 'legal' advice has been given and I am in no way a practitioner of the law.
(That should cover my backside anyway. Wink )

rekibrepus, Mick Lake, skyrider and Rosssin like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

Equipment Used : UNIDEN 100, midland alan 78 plus multi + mag mount , silver rod

PostSubject: Re: using the old multimode   using the old multimode Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2022 10:40 pm

yes thanks for that it's probably time to go shopping for something a bit more up to date but i think i will go for a used model in good nick  pale
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: using the old multimode   using the old multimode Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2022 5:52 am

You could always sell the Multimode 2 and use the proceeds to fund a new radio.

Currently there is one on the bay with no cases or front panel and marked as 'spares or repairs' for £100. I've seen them go for the £150 upwards price bracket which would go a long way towards a new radio.

If you don't want the hassle then it may well be calling up a few of the dealers and see what they'll give you as trade in value for a new radio or maybe even newer second hand unit.

Best of luck. using the old multimode 1f44d

skyrider likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: using the old multimode   using the old multimode Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2022 6:26 am

Keep the mm2 if it is working well.
If it's not working that well put it up for sale on the bay.
When sold some fool will have paid you enough to buy a new radio.
Job done lol.
Short and sweet but still on my first coffee.
Back to top Go down
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: using the old multimode   using the old multimode Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2022 3:19 pm

thanks guys i think i will keep the MM as it works well in the early 80's when i bought it new it was £160 and had good use out of it
Back to top Go down
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: using the old multimode   using the old multimode Icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2022 8:56 pm

Hi another question about the MM2 are they true fm thanks
Back to top Go down
Mitch
Contributor
Contributor
Mitch

Call Sign : M1TCH
Times Thanked : 8
QTH or Location : Leicester
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-857D, Diamond V2000, Major 3000, President Jackson Mk1, Lafayette AFS-1005, K40 mic, KL203, B550P and Sirio GPE 27 ⅝λ.

PostSubject: Re: using the old multimode   using the old multimode Icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2022 10:37 am

The MM2's are FM enough for normal channels, if a little quiet, but they can struggle on UK FM due to how the shift and deviation is set up. They can be modded to sound a lot better on FM of course and it's simple and worth doing. Has yours been modded at all? With the FM vco mod plus a legal board it'll work just the same as a UK FM rig if that's what you want.
Back to top Go down
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: using the old multimode   using the old multimode Icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2022 2:06 pm

Hi Mitch no the radio has never been touched and i have had it from new so perhaps i should think about a proper rig doctor taking a look at it  Idea thanks
Back to top Go down
Mitch
Contributor
Contributor
Mitch

Call Sign : M1TCH
Times Thanked : 8
QTH or Location : Leicester
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-857D, Diamond V2000, Major 3000, President Jackson Mk1, Lafayette AFS-1005, K40 mic, KL203, B550P and Sirio GPE 27 ⅝λ.

PostSubject: Re: using the old multimode   using the old multimode Icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2022 8:14 pm

It might be time for a service then 'cause I'll bet it's drifted a bit in the last 40+ years. However, servicing radios this old, especially if it's the first time, some of the adjustable componants will break if turned (horseshoe pots in particular), it's an age thing, just so you know it could do more harm than good.

I'd certainly have the FM mod done, 'unpopping' the squelch is a good mod too. Legal board is good for convenience but not that cheap and all the UK channels can be got anyway with 2 bands and shift plus sometimes.

The easiest is probably to just get an FM rig and keep the MM2 bog standard as no doubt in the future it will be worth more if untouched, and use it for SSB stuff.
Back to top Go down
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: using the old multimode   using the old multimode Icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2022 8:38 pm

yes i think you could be right Mitch. a while ago i bought a president mc kinley off northern crusader and even though it is a great radio i have to keep getting the instruction book out even to do the simplest thing so i might be letting it go shortly and get a radio that's easier to use
Back to top Go down
teapot
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4484
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Torquay
Equipment Used : cobra 148 glt dx starlker9 fdx, icom 706 mk1

PostSubject: Re: using the old multimode   using the old multimode Icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2023 10:08 pm

great radio but if i was you sell it by a 148 cobra much better radio and as illegal as mm2
Back to top Go down
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: using the old multimode   using the old multimode Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2023 2:02 am

i have decided to keep the mm2 and getting more used to the  president
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: using the old multimode   using the old multimode Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

using the old multimode
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Community Hangout :: General Chat-
Jump to: