Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Which handheld
ct 4839 problem with my ft990  Icon_minitimeToday at 11:49 am by 26CT1074

» Activity around Portsmouth UK
ct 4839 problem with my ft990  Icon_minitimeToday at 10:48 am by GhostRider

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
ct 4839 problem with my ft990  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:49 pm by SangueG

» CW sidesweeper, new project
ct 4839 problem with my ft990  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:13 pm by karelgol

» Swedish Repeater on Ch20 Mid
ct 4839 problem with my ft990  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:29 pm by Vasilis

» CRT SS 9900 V4
ct 4839 problem with my ft990  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:57 am by babis3g

» Moved from Introductions
ct 4839 problem with my ft990  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2024 11:43 pm by babis3g

» Mr Macmillan (Information requested)
ct 4839 problem with my ft990  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2024 11:07 pm by John123

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
ct 4839 problem with my ft990  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2024 8:52 pm by Razz229

Keywords
power lincoln call anytone Mobile list frequency Sirio ALINCO 6900 2023 yaesu sign 9900 Mckinley software ss9900 Baofeng chart 2022 display supply president antenna meter callsign
QRZ Database

ct 4839 problem with my ft990

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
teknix999

Call Sign : 26-CT-4839
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Birmingham
Equipment Used : yaesu FT-990 with silver rod

ct 4839 problem with my ft990  Empty
PostSubject: ct 4839 problem with my ft990    ct 4839 problem with my ft990  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 28, 2023 10:15 pm

Hi guys 
           I have a yaesu ft 990 rig and its come from a very good friends grand father who has passed away. he has owned it from new and its always worked well. Until now, the problem i have it after using it for maybe 30 mins on usb it goes off frequency and the cooling fan comes in but very slow. i have removed the fan and tested it using a psu and it runs fine but while in the radio its very slow. I have the full radio diagrams for reference can anyone suggest or recommend a good rig doctor that could help? 
any help would be gratefully accepted

best regards Terry
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: ct 4839 problem with my ft990    ct 4839 problem with my ft990  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 29, 2023 6:24 am

Hi Terry,

Just a quick couple of questions that may alleviate some headaches to start with :-

How do you know that you are off frequency?
Is someone telling you that your USB 'sounds' off frequency or are they reading off their dial and exclaiming as much. How does your other modes of transmission perform, (i.e. does the same problem occur on LSB as well?)

Have you confirmed your own frequency either with a frequency counter (on a constant carrier mode such as CW, AM or FM) or otherwise reception from a standardised beacon or transmission? (For example the 'Shannon Volmet' transmission at 5.505MHz USB.)

As for your fan 'test' the fan is controlled by a thermistor and op-amp circuit on the P.A. (power amplifier) board and won't be flat out unless the P.A. is running very hot. So running slowly within the radio itself would be perfectly normal and will obviously spin flat out with your simple test of hooking it to an external supply.

There are some common faults with the FT990 (the pesky 5 volt regulator's solder joints for one!) but on the whole it's generally found to be a good performing rig.

Always worth reassuring yourself of any so called 'reported' faults before jumping the gun.

As for "rig doctor's" it can all be a bit of a mine-field but I know I would personally have a repair or service/alignment performed by an authorised Yaesu repair centre.

I hope you get sorted to your own satisfaction but just be aware of typical third hand comments of "Yeah, needs re-capping mate" and the like. I don't believe anyone says this sort of stuff out of malice, but a 'little' knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
teknix999

PostSubject: Re: ct 4839 problem with my ft990    ct 4839 problem with my ft990  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 29, 2023 8:46 pm

Hi Victor,

Thank you for your reply,
I have not tested it using any kind of testing equipment how ever i am only
back to the hobby a short time and do not have the experience yet to know
what tester or meters i would require.
Because I have only just started to get into the hobby i spend most of my 
time listening and picking up the radio etiquette and abbreviations however
on a Saturday Nights i have spent time at 27.585 usb CT net chat and it here
i found the problem i am having,,,,
while talking with Maxine and John i noticed my reception was changing from
nice and clear to very darlic like and at times they sounded to be on maybe FM 
not usb . They to reported that i sounded to be off frequency along with others
in the group. If i stop modulating after maybe 15 / 20 mins my reception returns to normal.

its all very strange to me , i have even had rig checks from my very good friend that gave me 
rig and he too told me after a while chatting my signal drifts in and out.

thank you for your advice

best regards Terry
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: ct 4839 problem with my ft990    ct 4839 problem with my ft990  Icon_minitimeFri Jun 30, 2023 5:45 am

Hi Tony,

Really sorry to hear of the problems as it does obviously sound like it needs a repair but at least you've verified that as best as you're able. I would suspect a P.A. and/or regulator board problem so any technician worth their salt should be able to repair it. The only matter after that is how much is it going to cost to repair so it may be worth telephoning as many places as you can to get an idea on price. 

Apologies for not being able to help you out further and I hope you get it all sorted out.

All my very best to you and good luck,
Victor
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
teknix999

PostSubject: Re: ct 4839 problem with my ft990    ct 4839 problem with my ft990  Icon_minitimeFri Jun 30, 2023 7:31 pm

Hi Victor

Thank you for your help at least I have a starting point with a board you think maybe at
fault. I will indeed ring as many radio shops as possible to obtain a realistic quote for the repair, 
i have also emailed yaesu uk as they do repairs too ( bet they will not be cheap ) .

thank you for your input its gratefully received.

all the best regards Terry
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ct 4839 problem with my ft990    ct 4839 problem with my ft990  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ct 4839 problem with my ft990
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Help and Discussion Forums :: HF Radios 0-30Mhz-
Jump to: