Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» New Member (Issued)
What is the proceedure for tuning an antenna? Icon_minitimeToday at 4:30 pm by Mr T

» Help needed
What is the proceedure for tuning an antenna? Icon_minitimeToday at 3:28 pm by GaryWilson

» New member introduction. (Issued)
What is the proceedure for tuning an antenna? Icon_minitimeToday at 3:19 pm by stealth 57

» Request for CT Callsign (Issued)
What is the proceedure for tuning an antenna? Icon_minitimeToday at 3:11 pm by GaryWilson

» what was your first radio and antenna
What is the proceedure for tuning an antenna? Icon_minitimeToday at 11:13 am by stealth 57

» Anytone 6667
What is the proceedure for tuning an antenna? Icon_minitimeToday at 10:10 am by Razz229

» CB Radio Featured in Film and Tv
What is the proceedure for tuning an antenna? Icon_minitimeToday at 9:41 am by Razz229

» South Coast PMR net report
What is the proceedure for tuning an antenna? Icon_minitimeToday at 8:14 am by Razz229

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
What is the proceedure for tuning an antenna? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

Keywords
lincoln anytone yaesu antenna Mckinley ss9900 meter ALINCO 2022 chart software 9900 Mobile callsign supply 2023 Sirio 6900 power call frequency president list Baofeng display sign
QRZ Database

What is the proceedure for tuning an antenna?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4694, M7EUS
Times Thanked : 14
QTH or Location : Dorchester UK
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT950, 66FT Endfed Antenna, Various Other Bits and Pieces

What is the proceedure for tuning an antenna? Empty
PostSubject: What is the proceedure for tuning an antenna?   What is the proceedure for tuning an antenna? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 08, 2023 11:32 pm

Am finally plucking up the courage to go for some real talking contacts after a few months of exclusively FT8. I then realised I had no idea on the procedure of tuning an antenna whilst live, is it a case of announcing your call sign in a clear frequency, then manually tuning your antenna, or is there a set procedure? Might be a daft question, but I want to get it right.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: What is the proceedure for tuning an antenna?   What is the proceedure for tuning an antenna? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 09, 2023 7:23 am

Key up a CW signal right over the conversation you wish to join whilst fiddling with the ATU blissfully unaware that your actions are infuriating everyone else!! Very Happy

Joking quip there but you'd be surprised how often you witness it on air.

On my homebrew ATU I have a set of numbers on the variable capacitors controls and inductor switches with which to reference much like that available on commercial units. I found the settings that were most suitable for a particular band on my particular antenna with the help of a NanoVNA so thoughtfully gifted by a fellow CT member. (Cheers Alan. What is the proceedure for tuning an antenna? 1f44d ) This handily equates to the lowest SWR reading also but on a matching unit or ATU you could have a couple of 'low SWR' point settings and always good to find the 'best' one. You don't need the help of a NanoVNA as usually the 'best' setting is where you get the best reception of signals you're trying to hear.

I have these 'numbers' typed up on a handy reference piece of paper next to my ATU so that I can quickly set it up whenever I switch bands. This has been done for my own use of FT8 frequencies but I know a little 'tweak' will bring it up to the voice mode frequencies. (You can use the 'tune' button on FT8 software in a clear part of the waterfall to do live transmission tests without annoying anyone.) After a while you stop using the 'reference' sheet and simply remember the settings after doing them for some time. Lands up being much quicker to set up your ATU than most believe, sometimes quicker than the relay clickety-clack of an auto ATU without memory features.

There are bits of kit such as an impedance noise bridge that enable you to 'silently' tune the ATU to a 50 ohm load without transmitting but quite often is more of a faff than doing it without....especially if you forget to switch it out and transmit into it! (I did build my own installed inside my ATU but removed it after finding out it wasn't all that useful.)

I also don't worry about realising a 'perfect' 1:1 SWR knowing that any reading of less than 2 is more than sufficient. (For my own preferences 1.5 is pretty much 'bang-on' or good enough.)

Always good to use low power to setup your ATU so that you don't damage it whilst finding your settings. (Easy at the Foundation 10W limit anyway.) I've seen too many 'burned' or arced out from wildly mismatched QRO shenanigans.

It's often not the finicking procedure most make out Mark, your FT8 settings will be in the ball park and as mentioned a little tweak will have you in the voice mode frequencies. No point tweaking further after that when your RF meter is bouncing about on SSB but as long as the SWR isn't bouncing all will be good. (A low SWR should always be low regardless of power output as it is a ratiometric reading.)

Much easier than you think so don't sweat the small stuff.

Of course there are always 'resources' that will go into intrinsic detail of how to perform an ATU adjustment and if that level of fiddling is your bag then go for it. Otherwise quickly tune up and get yourself on air.  What is the proceedure for tuning an antenna? 1f44d 

Not a 'daft' question after all, we all have to start somewhere. Tweak for voice when you're transmitting and all will be well.

Hope that helps Mark, just remember to enjoy yourself.

All the best,
Victor

Ivy Mike and 13oots2 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Ivy Mike
Major contributor
Major contributor
Ivy Mike

Call Sign : 26CT4113/G1HWY
Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : IO90uv
Equipment Used : ICOM radios/antenna farm

PostSubject: Re: What is the proceedure for tuning an antenna?   What is the proceedure for tuning an antenna? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 10, 2023 6:15 am

The procedure is to buy an Auto ATU that remembers each frequency. Wink

Only kidding but it does take the faff out of tuning.

My own is the MAT 1500PRO coupled to the IC7300.
I use it to tune both HF ants when the 7300 cannot reach tune, especially when the cobweb is wet.

Victor and 13oots2 like this post

Back to top Go down
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT950, 66FT Endfed Antenna, Various Other Bits and Pieces

PostSubject: Re: What is the proceedure for tuning an antenna?   What is the proceedure for tuning an antenna? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 10, 2023 6:47 am

Ivy Mike wrote:
The procedure is to buy an Auto ATU that remembers each frequency. Wink

Only kidding but it does take the faff out of tuning.

My own is the MAT 1500PRO coupled to the IC7300.
I use it to tune both HF ants when the 7300 cannot reach tune, especially when the cobweb is wet.

I actually quite enjoy using a manual tuner, there is something quite satisfying about getting the needle on the meter down to zero.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: What is the proceedure for tuning an antenna?   What is the proceedure for tuning an antenna? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 10, 2023 5:40 pm

I know what you mean Mark. What is the proceedure for tuning an antenna? 1f44d 

I used to love tweaking those dials carefully not being satisfied until I got that 'perfect' SWR. Something about it that's quite soothing and feels like you're part of the radio experience even slowing your thoughts carefully about that next radio contact. Nowadays a quick crank and click here & there does me fine after performing the former several hundred times. Wink

There is something to be said for the relay flutter of an Auto ATU recalling it's memory settings. (Nice ATU there Mike!) But I do recall as a younger man visiting a Ham friend who grabbed that crank handle of the Roller-coaster inductor on his homebrew ATU whirring it around like crazy. He used to give me a smile and exclaim "Just starting her up! - Chocks away!!"
Back to top Go down
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: What is the proceedure for tuning an antenna?   What is the proceedure for tuning an antenna? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 10, 2023 8:10 pm

Thought I had said in a previous post that the idea of using FT8 to tune is rather ingenious, Victor., that will be my preferred method from now on.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: What is the proceedure for tuning an antenna?   What is the proceedure for tuning an antenna? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 11, 2023 7:02 am

More than likely Mark but good information is always worth repeating. What is the proceedure for tuning an antenna? 1f44d 

Plus I can't always remember every one of the almost 5000 postings I've made so bound to repeat myself....that or dementia is starting to kick in! Very Happy

The FT8 tune method is less invasive on the spectrum available to us, even a quick CW tune in an empty space is almost no bother. (Until someone exclaims that CW is not allowed in the 'voice' allocation.... Rolling Eyes )

All far, far better than cranking everything up and shouting out "Hola! Hola!" or the elongated "1,2,3,4....1,2,3...1,2,3,4,5.....Fiiiiiive.....Fiiiiiii-va" often encountered on air. (Usually without an identifying call sign too!) 

Definitely superior to 'tuning-up' all over someone's QSO.

I congratulate you Mark on asking others for the 'best procedure' rather than struggling on your own, or heaven forbid performing any of the poor examples mentioned. It all makes for a good Radio Amateur operator.

SangueG and 13oots2 like this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: What is the proceedure for tuning an antenna?   What is the proceedure for tuning an antenna? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 11, 2023 8:03 am

Victor wrote:
The FT8 tune method is less invasive on the spectrum available to us, even a quick CW tune in an empty space is almost no bother. (Until someone exclaims that CW is not allowed in the 'voice' allocation.... Rolling Eyes )

All far, far better than cranking everything up and shouting out "Hola! Hola!" or the elongated "1,2,3,4....1,2,3...1,2,3,4,5.....Fiiiiiive.....Fiiiiiii-va" often encountered on air. (Usually without an identifying call sign too!) 

Definitely superior to 'tuning-up' all over someone's QSO.

Seconded! Digital noise and notch filters in some radios and external DSP devices can almost, and sometimes completely, eliminate a single intrusive tone. I haven't seen any that can eliminate a "Hola". Great suggestion.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: What is the proceedure for tuning an antenna?   What is the proceedure for tuning an antenna? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 13, 2023 12:56 am

Victor wrote:
I congratulate you Mark on asking others for the 'best procedure' rather than struggling on your own, or heaven forbid performing any of the poor examples mentioned. It all makes for a good Radio Amateur operator.

I took the time and effort to pass the exam, so I am making the effort to do things properly. A little under 10W out and good operating procedure won't hurt me.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: What is the proceedure for tuning an antenna?   What is the proceedure for tuning an antenna? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 13, 2023 5:57 am

Well said Mark my friend, very well said indeed. What is the proceedure for tuning an antenna? 1f44d
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is the proceedure for tuning an antenna?   What is the proceedure for tuning an antenna? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is the proceedure for tuning an antenna?
Page 1 of 1