Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Giving PMR 446 Another Whirl
antenna - Zetagi V2 antenna switcher. Icon_minitimeToday at 12:19 am by John123

» Galaxy Saturn modification ( -5khz )
antenna - Zetagi V2 antenna switcher. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:54 pm by John123

» Static/noise
antenna - Zetagi V2 antenna switcher. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 pm by John123

» President Himalaya wb half wave
antenna - Zetagi V2 antenna switcher. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:45 pm by John79

» South Coast PMR net report
antenna - Zetagi V2 antenna switcher. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:48 pm by Razz229

» New shack in operation.
antenna - Zetagi V2 antenna switcher. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:46 pm by VanRougeT4

» 11m conditions
antenna - Zetagi V2 antenna switcher. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 10:50 pm by John123

» Your Amateur station is unique....but just how good is it?
antenna - Zetagi V2 antenna switcher. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 8:15 pm by Victor

» Gainmaster 5/8
antenna - Zetagi V2 antenna switcher. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 5:06 pm by madmax

Keywords
software ss9900 frequency Mobile Sirio sign 9900 chart Baofeng call callsign anytone meter antenna list display 2024 power president lincoln yaesu 2022 ALINCO Mckinley 6900 2023
QRZ Database

Zetagi V2 antenna switcher.

Go down 
+2
Sharpshooter
hawk657
6 posters
AuthorMessage
hawk657
hawk657

Call Sign : CT/X 6657
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Nuneaton - Warwickshire
Equipment Used : AT5555, CRT2000H, Midland PORTAPACK, SIRIO and FIRESTIK mobile antennas. Home built DIPOLE in the loft, T2LT and a Silver Rod going up this week (sep 23)

antenna - Zetagi V2 antenna switcher. Empty
PostSubject: Zetagi V2 antenna switcher.   antenna - Zetagi V2 antenna switcher. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2023 3:52 am

Silly question of the day ..... The Zetagi V2 antenna switcher.....When used with one antenna and two radios....It will obviously TX and RX on the selected radio side, but will it sill RX on the second radio, or does the big red switch have control over both TX and RX?

I would like to have both radios on at once, TX on one of them but monitor the other, 1 Multimode and the other my UK40 muppet.  is this possible with the Zetagi V2 or do I need something different?

Thanks in advance.

Matt
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/@pilgrimoutdoors-uk6177/
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

Call Sign : 163-CT-329
Times Thanked : 13
QTH or Location : Deeside, Flintshire
Equipment Used : A growing list

PostSubject: Re: Zetagi V2 antenna switcher.   antenna - Zetagi V2 antenna switcher. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2023 5:38 am

I wondered the same a while back.
But then thought it may damage one of the radios. Although as you say it's switched between one or the other. Since it's manufactured for two antenna's to one radio I didn't want to put anything to chance.

Have you connected two radios through it and transmitted ?

There is this for two radios to one antenna rather than one radio. which is more expensive.

https://www.kcb.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p1779_Zetagi_SW2_Automatic_Antenna_Switch.html

I wouldn't of thought two at the same time would be a good idea, it would I imagine at least throw the SWR through the roof and at worst the set transmitting blow the other set.

I'm interested in the replies though 👍🏼

Les-1, Victor and hawk657 like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 360
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Zetagi V2 antenna switcher.   antenna - Zetagi V2 antenna switcher. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2023 6:07 am

Hi Matt,

The Zetagi V2 is simply a single pole double throw (SPDT) switch in a box so won't do what you ask.

I just had a shifty on the old t'internet and there's a picture on this forum of the internals so you can see for yourself :-

https://www.forumradioamatori.it/forum/index.php?topic=8055.0

It simply connects one side or the other.

(I had written a lot of stuff about isolation problems and such but thought better of it. Let's just say you're going to run into a whole heap of trouble trying to monitor and transmit at the same time even with different radios. Don't let F.O.M.O or fear-of-missing-out cause you problems.....if someone calls on the 19 Muppets but you're busying yourself on the free-bands then so be it. Wink )

Ah, just noticed Nige's response, the Zetagi SW2 is a more refined piece of kit but you're still only going to be able to use one radio at a time. As he mentions on simpler switch units you could be transmitting into a short or open circuit (SWR protection should handle that) but equally transmit from one radio into the other rendering it deaf-as-a-door-post from thereafter!! (More expensive manual units ground the other connections providing isolation for receiver circuitry.)

If you really want to know about the issues of running transmitters and receivers at the same time you only need a shifty-look at Ham radio repeater systems. Huge cavity filters and big frequency separations are the order of the day!

There was me trying to keep this short too. Again, F.O.M.O. so keep it simple with one radio at a time. antenna - Zetagi V2 antenna switcher. 1f44d 

All the best,
Victor

Les-1 and hawk657 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Zetagi V2 antenna switcher.   antenna - Zetagi V2 antenna switcher. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2023 6:23 am

2 radios 1 to tx and 1 for rx = 1 blown front end.
With hf and vhf/uhf you might be ok.

Les-1 and hawk657 like this post

Back to top Go down
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4654
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Preston, Lancs.
Equipment Used : UNIDEN 100, midland alan 78 plus multi + mag mount , silver rod

PostSubject: Re: Zetagi V2 antenna switcher.   antenna - Zetagi V2 antenna switcher. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2023 12:54 pm

i have a v4 model of those and it seems to work ok
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Zetagi V2 antenna switcher.   antenna - Zetagi V2 antenna switcher. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2023 2:22 pm

Same sort of kit there Lionel just with a couple of more single pole double throw (SPDT) switches.
(Three switches in a box. Wink ) No grounding of unused ports, poor isolation, probably insertion losses too. 

There's a good reason why decent coaxial switches cost big bucks.
Back to top Go down
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4654
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Preston, Lancs.
Equipment Used : UNIDEN 100, midland alan 78 plus multi + mag mount , silver rod

PostSubject: Re: Zetagi V2 antenna switcher.   antenna - Zetagi V2 antenna switcher. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2023 2:41 pm

what do you suggest Victor swap the ant coax manually when using different radio's ?
Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

PostSubject: Re: Zetagi V2 antenna switcher.   antenna - Zetagi V2 antenna switcher. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 23, 2023 4:19 am

Personally, I would never do this...but if you want to, the way to check it is safe is as follows:

Get the isolation figure for the switch you want to use, at the frequency you're using (i.e. 27MHz), then get the max power either radio will generate, and do the math to see what "input" power is going to go into the antenna of the other radio.  If it is more than the radio can handle, don't do it. Smile

You might be safe with a 4w or 12w CB, assuming the isolation figure stated isn't picked out of the air by the manufacturer, so better still to measure what is going into the other port.

Better again, just don't risk it.  Very Happy

Last edited by 43CT016 on Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:50 am; edited 1 time in total

Les-1 and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Zetagi V2 antenna switcher.   antenna - Zetagi V2 antenna switcher. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 23, 2023 6:00 am

For the sake of a bit of further information on such issues as this I'll post the following couple of links.

Here's a great video from Alan - W2AEW :-

An example of a homebrew coaxial switch which also references the above work is from Peter - VK6YSF :-

https://vk6ysf.com/rf_switch_20220626.htm

You'll see that every effort has been made to check and/or measure the required isolation characteristics before utilising such devices and even then with an assumed safety margin. Note that you can even damage a receiver whilst it is powered OFF if too much RF power is placed upon the antenna input!

Unfortunately it is hard to find such specifications on cheaper pieces of equipment so the only real way to be sure is to actually measure the characteristics yourself. Trying to find out the isolation characteristic of your transceiver/rig would be much harder if testing it for yourself as it'd be akin to testing a match....one strike, yep that works, but never to be repeated.

With the radio interest there are a lot of 'black-box' products where you don't actually know what's going on inside them and a lot of 'box-pushers' who happily sell you such items but then you're on your own from thereafter. Due diligence is the order of the day.

Hearsay can also be a dangerous thing such as "my mate uses such-and-such" as often they're unaware of their actions or the consequences. I've seen/repaired more than one radio in my day with receiver front ends 'blown' replacing fiddly PIN diodes and other front-end semiconductors. Often the user is unaware but might stretch as far as "Oh, really? I thought it was a little deaf on receive".

Back to the original poster Hawk657, Matt - 

Even if you successfully isolate both transceivers (or even go as far as placing separate antennas on them) you'll still swamp the one on receive whilst transmitting on the other especially on the same band of frequencies. When using different bands such as with Amateur Radio you can still face problems and you only have to look at a Ham field day where much spacing between participants or extra band-pass filters are the order of the day.

Remember, all my 'waffle' ever given here on CT is not in some vain attempt of uplifting my apparent intelligence or so called radio expertise, but in my best efforts to help out where I can.

I'll warn you of minefields even if you don't understand what that "Achtung! Minen!" sign means, but I certainly won't tell you to put your fingers in your ears and stomp forwards hoping for the best.

Victor

Les-1, Alan Pilot and hawk657 like this post

Back to top Go down
hawk657
hawk657

Call Sign : CT/X 6657
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Nuneaton - Warwickshire
Equipment Used : AT5555, CRT2000H, Midland PORTAPACK, SIRIO and FIRESTIK mobile antennas. Home built DIPOLE in the loft, T2LT and a Silver Rod going up this week (sep 23)

PostSubject: Re: Zetagi V2 antenna switcher.   antenna - Zetagi V2 antenna switcher. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 24, 2023 5:53 pm

Thank you all so much for the amazing detail given above.  Brilliant and very kind.  

cheers.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/@pilgrimoutdoors-uk6177/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Zetagi V2 antenna switcher.   antenna - Zetagi V2 antenna switcher. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Zetagi V2 antenna switcher.
Page 1 of 1