Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» full licence !!!!!
External changover switch Icon_minitimeToday at 6:37 pm by VanRougeT4

» CB silver rod as multiband HF antenna?
External changover switch Icon_minitimeToday at 6:14 pm by VanRougeT4

» Requesting Charlie Tango Callsign
External changover switch Icon_minitimeToday at 3:51 pm by KC8EMH

» New Member (Issued)
External changover switch Icon_minitimeToday at 12:30 pm by John123

» Request for CT Callsign (Issued)
External changover switch Icon_minitimeToday at 12:27 pm by John123

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
External changover switch Icon_minitimeToday at 12:21 pm by Vasilis

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
External changover switch Icon_minitimeToday at 12:15 pm by FreqFreak

» NATO 2000 Restoration
External changover switch Icon_minitimeToday at 11:49 am by GaryWilson

» Help needed
External changover switch Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:28 pm by GaryWilson

Keywords
Sirio call chart Mobile lincoln ss9900 callsign 9900 Mckinley sign power ALINCO list meter yaesu antenna software supply 2022 frequency 6900 display anytone Baofeng president 2023
QRZ Database

External changover switch

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
JimmyD

Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Bromley
Equipment Used : Kenwood R-2000

External changover switch Empty
PostSubject: External changover switch   External changover switch Icon_minitimeSat Oct 21, 2023 3:23 pm

Hi im in the process of building a shack in my garden shed, I want to have a 2-way splitter fixed under the rafters of the lean-to (porch) which is just outside the shed door. Placing it here outside will prevent it from direct rain, but its still outside so will suffer slightly from the elements and also spiders/cobwebs ect. Im looking for a 2-way splitter so I can utilise my hwef and another in the future. Is there such a thing as an "external" splitter anyone knows of ? I would prefer not to purchase an internal one and mount it in a box. If I can find something suitable I would wrap the coax connections in amalgamating tape. Since looking at the internal splitters they look quite solid anyway without ingress holes, and was considering if I would get away with an internal in such a position. Can anyone recommend ?? Thanks
Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

Call Sign : 163-CT-329
Times Thanked : 13
QTH or Location : Deeside, Flintshire
Equipment Used : A growing list

PostSubject: Re: External changover switch   External changover switch Icon_minitimeSat Oct 21, 2023 8:39 pm

I know you say you would prefer not to mount in a box, and I don't know whether there are external ones.
But just a thought. Personally, even if they do external ones, I would make a box from something like a tupperware container at least.
Screw the base of the container to the wall.
Seal the coax into the box from the bottom side and seal where it's screwed down. Lid just pops on facing you.

Totally protected on the cheap 👍🏼

Back to top Go down
JimmyD

PostSubject: Re: External changover switch   External changover switch Icon_minitimeSat Oct 21, 2023 9:01 pm

Thanks for response, im a novice with this sort of stuff which as got me thinking. How do coax cabling and connections hold up in the sleet and snow anyway ? For example ive ordered an external 49:1 unun (yet to arrive), while the internal gubbins are sealed in a weatherproof box, the SO239 connections are external so are they generally watertight when terminated correctly ? Final thought on a coax switch is probably not a great idea (even if its in a box) as the frost and cold would likely seize the mechanism anyway !
Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

Call Sign : 163-CT-329
Times Thanked : 13
QTH or Location : Deeside, Flintshire
Equipment Used : A growing list

PostSubject: Re: External changover switch   External changover switch Icon_minitimeSat Oct 21, 2023 9:16 pm

I'm a relative novice too.
Coax connection outside I would use self amalgamating tape.
The threads I imagine would be prone to water ingress through capillary action.

Why might I ask do you want to put your splitter outside rather than in ?

Back to top Go down
JimmyD

PostSubject: Re: External changover switch   External changover switch Icon_minitimeSat Oct 21, 2023 10:00 pm

Sharpshooter wrote:

Why might I ask do you want to put your splitter outside rather than in ?

Reasoning for having the switch outside is so I dont need to have x2 coax's coming in ! The existing tiny hole through the wall is just large enough for one coax.
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: External changover switch   External changover switch Icon_minitimeSun Oct 22, 2023 6:22 am

Self amalgamating tape is good but not that good as i have found it to weather a bit.
Silicone grease or Vaseline a bit messy but works.
Now the stuff i use now but can never remember it's name it is like a bandage with grease but if i remember i will edit this.
Edit  
Denso Tape

Ivy Mike and DerekF like this post

Back to top Go down
Ivy Mike
Major contributor
Major contributor
Ivy Mike

Call Sign : 26CT4113/G1HWY
Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : IO90uv
Equipment Used : ICOM radios/antenna farm

PostSubject: Re: External changover switch   External changover switch Icon_minitimeSun Oct 22, 2023 8:01 am

JimmyD wrote:
Thanks for response, im a novice with this sort of stuff which as got me thinking. How do coax cabling and connections hold up in the sleet and snow anyway ? For example ive ordered an external 49:1 unun (yet to arrive), while the internal gubbins are sealed in a weatherproof box, the SO239 connections are external so are they generally watertight when terminated correctly ? Final thought on a coax switch is probably not a great idea (even if its in a box) as the frost and cold would likely seize the mechanism anyway !

Most cheap PL259s are not waterproof.
Messi Paoloni are sealed but good idea to tape up or seal with liquid rubber.

DerekF and JimmyD like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: External changover switch   External changover switch Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

External changover switch
Page 1 of 1