Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
Mobile antenna for 446 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:33 pm by Vasilis

» NATO 2000 Restoration
Mobile antenna for 446 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:30 pm by micscave

» New Member (Issued)
Mobile antenna for 446 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:30 pm by Mr T

» Help needed
Mobile antenna for 446 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:28 pm by GaryWilson

» New member introduction. (Issued)
Mobile antenna for 446 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:19 pm by stealth 57

» Request for CT Callsign (Issued)
Mobile antenna for 446 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:11 pm by GaryWilson

» what was your first radio and antenna
Mobile antenna for 446 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:13 am by stealth 57

» Anytone 6667
Mobile antenna for 446 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 am by Razz229

» CB Radio Featured in Film and Tv
Mobile antenna for 446 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:41 am by Razz229

Keywords
Mckinley anytone software chart 2023 president call Baofeng power list lincoln meter frequency ss9900 Sirio display callsign ALINCO sign 2022 yaesu 9900 supply Mobile antenna 6900
QRZ Database

Mobile antenna for 446

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
TwinCam

Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : South Wales
Equipment Used : CB and PMR 446

Mobile antenna for 446 Empty
PostSubject: Mobile antenna for 446   Mobile antenna for 446 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 18, 2023 9:08 pm

Hi guys,
I have used cb radio since the 1970's
fm/am/ssb mostly mobile and still do, but am now interested in 446.
I have a Baofeng radio programmed to the 16 pmr channels, but need an antenna for mobile use.
I do understand the limits of pmr against cb, but will an exterior antenna help ?
Thanks for any advice.
Back to top Go down
26CT1074
Contributor
Contributor
26CT1074

Call Sign : 26-CT-1074 / M7MMC
Times Thanked : 6
QTH or Location : Brighton, East Sussex
Equipment Used : Icom IC-7300, Lincoln II (V4), Xiegu X6100

PostSubject: Re: Mobile antenna for 446   Mobile antenna for 446 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 19, 2023 11:21 am

The issue with PMR, is the range is less  than line of sight and in built up areas is almost useless unless you can get some decent height.
A lot of antennas are sold on eBay and such like, that say 'mobile pmr antenna' but the reality is... there are none.
A decent 2m/70cm antenna will do the job, because PMR is just above the 70cm amateur band it won't make much of a difference on it's SWR reading. Minimal infact.
Again, I wouldn't invest a great deal in PMR unless locally you have a good few using the band, or if you can get up to high ground you may have better luck.
Any 70cm amateur antenna for the car will be fine to use.But again, range is terribly short.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/c/OnTheMicwithMike
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Mobile antenna for 446   Mobile antenna for 446 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 19, 2023 4:11 pm

PMR on the whole especially armed with nothing but the 'rubber duck' antenna will as already mentioned give you a limited range.....but....

Check out what Ray and the guys manage with the South Coast PMR net and you may well be surprised!

https://charlietangodxgroup.forumotion.com/t56-south-coast-pmr-net-report

Some of these guys are running bigger antennas but a lot just try and find high ground in the clear to manage the QSO distances they obtain. With a little bit of help from Mother Nature every so often with 'tropospheric propagation' they often contact greater distance operators including those on the European Continent. Mobile antenna for 446 1f44d  

Worth having a listen out for any 8@8 activity in your area, (Channel 8, 8pm, usually Sundays), especially from any high ground near you and see what's out there. Make sure you're stood outside of your car for best signal reception and then maybe later look at other antenna options available to you. Some of the cheaper Chinese affairs from online retailers are abysmal but again as mentioned Ham radio 70cm antennas do a nice job due to similar frequency use.

I had a lot of fun with my little Baofeng in the early days (even building Yagi beams from old TV antennas!) gaining contacts well beyond the oft suggested line-of-sight limitations. I still have a 'handy' in the form of the Ailunce HD1 but nowadays along with a Ham licence fire up 70cm activity to repeaters and contacts sometimes several counties away.

(Just remember that additional antennas and/or more power than 500mW or half a Watt on PMR are technically illegal.)

Have fun and let us know how you get on.

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mobile antenna for 446   Mobile antenna for 446 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mobile antenna for 446
Page 1 of 1