Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Giving PMR 446 Another Whirl
Well this should  make people  feel happier  Icon_minitimeToday at 6:48 am by SangueG

» New shack in operation.
Well this should  make people  feel happier  Icon_minitimeToday at 6:45 am by SangueG

» Your Amateur station is unique....but just how good is it?
Well this should  make people  feel happier  Icon_minitimeToday at 6:28 am by SangueG

» Galaxy Saturn modification ( -5khz )
Well this should  make people  feel happier  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:54 pm by John123

» Static/noise
Well this should  make people  feel happier  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 pm by John123

» President Himalaya wb half wave
Well this should  make people  feel happier  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:45 pm by John79

» South Coast PMR net report
Well this should  make people  feel happier  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:48 pm by Razz229

» 11m conditions
Well this should  make people  feel happier  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 10:50 pm by John123

» Gainmaster 5/8
Well this should  make people  feel happier  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 5:06 pm by madmax

Keywords
2024 display Baofeng 9900 yaesu list call ss9900 ALINCO software power president sign 2022 lincoln chart frequency Sirio meter callsign anytone antenna Mckinley Mobile 2023 6900
QRZ Database

Well this should make people feel happier

Go down 
+2
Victor
26ct954
6 posters
AuthorMessage
26ct954
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-954, M7PLD..
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Ellesmere Port
Equipment Used : icom 718,cobweb,anytone 667,

Well this should  make people  feel happier  Empty
PostSubject: Well this should make people feel happier    Well this should  make people  feel happier  Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2021 11:53 am

I little something to cheer you all up, Have been playing choo choo round the house, I am not going mad,, on my way it's all to do with the foundation question, 431.432 charing cross I won't forget that next time...

NUBSTER and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 361
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Well this should make people feel happier    Well this should  make people  feel happier  Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2021 12:05 pm

lol!
Nice one Chris! Anything to make it stick in that old noggin.

I learned six ways to Sunday all the variations on that question it famously being renowned as a 'trick queston'. Imagine my shock when on my exam I got the "What frequency are you not allowed to transmit on within 100km of Charing Cross?". Asked straight up, no tricks and the damn thing is printed on the exam sheet band plan you print off for the exam?!?!?

NUBSTER and 26ct954 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
ranger
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
ranger

Call Sign : 26CT140/26TM140
Times Thanked : 6
QTH or Location : Essex

PostSubject: Re: Well this should make people feel happier    Well this should  make people  feel happier  Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2021 6:42 pm

It is Martin, the  MoD,
They are the primary user of the band with amateur's secondary,

Whilst tx is forbidden, I cant say I have ever came across anyone rxing anything from the MoD,
although I am sure any such transmission would be scrambled in one form or another, but I would be interested to learn the mode & type of encryption.

T.
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 157
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

PostSubject: Re: Well this should make people feel happier    Well this should  make people  feel happier  Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2021 11:19 pm

Interesting stuff.👍

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Well this should make people feel happier    Well this should  make people  feel happier  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2021 6:21 am

Lewis M3HHY with his Ringway Manchester YouTube channel did a video on the subject a little while ago.

Make a lot more sense than the usual responses you hear, (even if less interesting).

Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

PostSubject: Re: Well this should make people feel happier    Well this should  make people  feel happier  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2021 6:59 am

Victor wrote:
lol!
Asked straight up, no tricks and the damn thing is printed on the exam sheet band plan you print off for the exam?!?!?

You're allowed to take a band plan printout into the exam? Shocked

Ours is a whole separate exam, to be done from memory, and the Yank one has to be memorised and pops up in all three exams, and has some real quirks in there.  Damn!  You're spoilt.  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Well this should make people feel happier    Well this should  make people  feel happier  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2021 7:47 am

I think we discussed this before Jeff Wink

For the UK Foundation exam you print off the exam reference paper EX307.pdf, (there are also similar papers for the Intermediate and Full).

For some reason the RSGB site isn't currently working but here is Essex Ham's copy of the same :-

https://www.essexham.co.uk/train/foundation-exam-booklet/

The relavent data for the exam is contained within it.

As we discussed before I'm pretty sure what they are after in the exam is ensuring you will be a competent radio operator, not Mr Memory Man Wink
I'm also sure that anyone able to memorise every aspect of the band plans, frequency, allocation, etc. would be a rather 'special' person....and they could remember it entirely wrong just as easily, especially if the bandplan allocation changes!

I admire anyone that can say, "I'm not sure I'll just look it up", as much as someone who actually knows off the top of their head. Probably more so the former as they've verified their answer and more likely to be up to date. As we know people can commit to memory completely wrong information and be adamant that they are right often arguing it to the hilt.

Paddy likes this post

Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

PostSubject: Re: Well this should make people feel happier    Well this should  make people  feel happier  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2021 8:38 am

Victor wrote:
I think we discussed this before Jeff Wink

I'm also sure that anyone able to memorise every aspect of the band plans, frequency, allocation, etc. would be a rather 'special' person....and they could remember it entirely wrong just as easily, especially if the bandplan allocation changes!

Yeah, but I'm never going to miss an opportunity to tease! Very Happy 

Sadly, for our exams and the US ones, you do have to remember elements of it...what part of a band certain modes can be used, what power levels on certain bands or certain emissions that differ form the defaults, etc etc.

I'm with you though - knowing how to read a bandplan is really all that's relevant here.  My wall has the US and Aus ones up printed on A3 sheets!

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Well this should make people feel happier    Well this should  make people  feel happier  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2021 9:05 am

Ha! Ha Very Happy

You got me hook, line and sinker mate!

Can't believe any official body still think there's value in memorising minute detail of something that it is much more efficiently looked up. I know as an electronics engineer I didn't memorise every damn component identifier, (although years later I still remember components that became obsolete back in the 1980's!!!) I certainly didn't remember the detailed characteristics of every component it being an impossible task.

Yet when I worked for a stint in the camera trade as a salesman the sales area manager expected us to know the price of every camera currently in stock!?! I told him straight, different today from what it was last week and will be different again next week as new models come out and items are reduced for sale. We also sell hundreds of models, what exactly are you after? He was not a happy bunny Wink

It's one area of the examination process I certainly believe the RSGB got right Jeff. Here's hoping other 'catch up' Very Happy
Back to top Go down
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 157
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

PostSubject: Re: Well this should make people feel happier    Well this should  make people  feel happier  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2021 7:36 pm

Victor wrote:
Lewis M3HHY with his Ringway Manchester YouTube channel did a video on the subject a little while ago.

Make a lot more sense than the usual responses you hear, (even if less interesting).

Thanks for posting, Victor.👍

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Well this should make people feel happier    Well this should  make people  feel happier  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2021 7:47 pm

Far less interesting than the clandestine theories John Wink

Still, nice to know.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Well this should make people feel happier    Well this should  make people  feel happier  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Well this should make people feel happier
Page 1 of 1