Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Your Amateur station is unique....but just how good is it?
Baofeng - Gosh setting  up a baofeng  Icon_minitimeToday at 7:59 am by Victor

» Giving PMR 446 Another Whirl
Baofeng - Gosh setting  up a baofeng  Icon_minitimeToday at 6:48 am by SangueG

» New shack in operation.
Baofeng - Gosh setting  up a baofeng  Icon_minitimeToday at 6:45 am by SangueG

» Galaxy Saturn modification ( -5khz )
Baofeng - Gosh setting  up a baofeng  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:54 pm by John123

» Static/noise
Baofeng - Gosh setting  up a baofeng  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 pm by John123

» President Himalaya wb half wave
Baofeng - Gosh setting  up a baofeng  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:45 pm by John79

» South Coast PMR net report
Baofeng - Gosh setting  up a baofeng  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:48 pm by Razz229

» 11m conditions
Baofeng - Gosh setting  up a baofeng  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 10:50 pm by John123

» Gainmaster 5/8
Baofeng - Gosh setting  up a baofeng  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 5:06 pm by madmax

Keywords
Baofeng 2022 2023 antenna frequency meter Sirio lincoln anytone call 6900 yaesu ALINCO 2024 display callsign Mobile ss9900 Mckinley power list 9900 chart software president sign
QRZ Database

Gosh setting up a baofeng

Go down 
+2
Tim Tom
26ct954
6 posters
AuthorMessage
26ct954
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-954, M7PLD..
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Ellesmere Port
Equipment Used : icom 718,cobweb,anytone 667,

Baofeng - Gosh setting  up a baofeng  Empty
PostSubject: Gosh setting up a baofeng    Baofeng - Gosh setting  up a baofeng  Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2021 5:10 pm

Trying  to setup  a baofeng  am I having  problems,  do you  need the data cable to put the  repeaters  in...
Back to top Go down
Tim Tom
Contributor
Contributor
Tim Tom

Call Sign : 26-SW-010 / 26-TM-087
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Somerset
Equipment Used : Kernow beta 4100 mobile for now...

PostSubject: Re: Gosh setting up a baofeng    Baofeng - Gosh setting  up a baofeng  Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2021 5:11 pm

You don't but it bloody well helps!

I set mine up the other day, there's some useful videos in YouTube of how to do it, but yes without the data cable it can be a bugger to set up

26ct954 and Ninjaunicorn1 like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 361
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Gosh setting up a baofeng    Baofeng - Gosh setting  up a baofeng  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2021 7:58 am

Hi Chris,

They definitely at first can appear way too complicated to program manually than they need to be.

I had problems programming mine initially but this turned out to be due to poor instructions and/or poorly translated 'Chinglish' manuals. There are much better instructions available online nowadays.

My go to website for such radios nowadays is at :-

https://www.miklor.com/

There's a wealth of really good information there.

If it helps any, as I initially had problems with programming I was advised of the 'CHIRP' programming software. It did seem like a godsend and worked straight away from my Linux system at first. I know people had problems with the Windows version which centred around USB lead problems, (the same old 'Prolific' driver issues!) I even went as far as building my own lead and happily programmed my radio via the software. 

However, after letting my grandchildren play with it for PMR with their walkie-talkies last summer, (I had cleared the Ham frequencies), I found the Chirp software no longer worked due to a Linux upgrade.....despite 'fixes' the software still doesn't work!!

That made me realise that I really need to get a handle on manually programming the damn thing!

Manual programming has huge advantages :

You can program on the fly - 
If somone asks you to go to such and such 'simplex' channel you can program the frequency straight in, (whether to memory or even temporarily on the 'frequency mode'). Much quicker than going to the computer and scrabbling around trying to find that damn USB lead!

You can program away from a computer - 
When 'lockdown' finally ends you may find yourself enjoying portable operations, the simple fun of taking your radio out with you! If you move out of range of your own repeater whilst say out walking, you may wish to access another repeater. If you have downloaded the 'RepeaterBook' app to your phone, (well worth it!), you can instantly see what repeaters are in range. That app will give you the frequencies and tones you need, quickly punch them in and voila, you're banging into another repeater!

You could even take the radio with you on a UK holiday, (when we get that far), check the 'RepeaterBook' app on the phone, quickly program the radio and chat on a repeater near your holiday destination. All good fun!

More importantly, once you're used to programming the radio you can do it much faster than via a computer. Wink

Get to really 'know' your Baofeng radio, you'll thank yourself. Nearly all the radios in the range are programmed in a similar/same way so that knowledge will carry across.

I still think they are fantastic radios, especially for the price. You don't have to worry about losing it, breaking it, having it stolen, dropping it down a ravine, in the sea, etc. etc. £20 - £30 and you've got a new one....at that price you can even have a spare. Smile

Lots of waffle, hopefully some of it is useful.

All the best,
Victor

Tristar and Ninjaunicorn1 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
ranger
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
ranger

Call Sign : 26CT140/26TM140
Times Thanked : 6
QTH or Location : Essex

PostSubject: Re: Gosh setting up a baofeng    Baofeng - Gosh setting  up a baofeng  Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2021 2:46 pm

Data cable & CHIRP,
should make things real easy.

at least if you do get a problem it shouldn't be to difficult to fix.
Back to top Go down
26ct954
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-954, M7PLD..
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Ellesmere Port
Equipment Used : icom 718,cobweb,anytone 667,

PostSubject: Re: Gosh setting up a baofeng    Baofeng - Gosh setting  up a baofeng  Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2021 3:00 pm

A good friend let me borrow his baofeng until mine got sorted through the software all good now, got out this morning to Hungary first contact outside the uk in 35 years, nice qso also Newyork.. Which was really good very pleased aerial working good at 10ft to the base, going up another 20ft when the Tk arrives good old eBay lol..

Alan - Mirror Man likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan - Mirror Man
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan - Mirror Man

Call Sign : 108CT233
Times Thanked : 14
QTH or Location : Central Scotland
Equipment Used : CRT SS9900 Beofeng UV5R Yaesu FTDX1200 CRT Micron CRT FP00 Sattelite 2000 antenna ZS6BKW X30 co-linear

PostSubject: Re: Gosh setting up a baofeng    Baofeng - Gosh setting  up a baofeng  Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2021 3:39 pm

There are some good cables available online, I got mine from this chap through an eBay advert https://www.pjbox.co.uk/  but it will depend on where you are located what is the best option for you, the downloads page he does is very handy and it is also where I got the driver to resolve the Windows 10 issue when programming from a Win 10 machine.

Well worth bookmarking for future reference:

https://www.pjbox.co.uk/pages/downloads

Alan
Back to top Go down
Ninjaunicorn1

Call Sign : 26-CT-4462
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Beccles
Equipment Used : Pmr446, scanner

PostSubject: Re: Gosh setting up a baofeng    Baofeng - Gosh setting  up a baofeng  Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2022 6:46 pm

When I was setting my up for use as a scanner, I had trouble saving channels.

Found out I had to delete what was already marked as ch001, before I saved a new channel as ch001.
Felt verry silly.

If under memory/ delete the channel number has ch before the number, you already have it in use for a diffrent frequency.

Alan - Mirror Man likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gosh setting up a baofeng    Baofeng - Gosh setting  up a baofeng  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gosh setting up a baofeng
Page 1 of 1