Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
antenna - 2m Homebrew Antenna - Testing with FT8 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:23 pm by Mr T

» gre 225 radio scanner
antenna - 2m Homebrew Antenna - Testing with FT8 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 pm by rabbi

» crt ss 9900
antenna - 2m Homebrew Antenna - Testing with FT8 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:21 pm by John123

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
antenna - 2m Homebrew Antenna - Testing with FT8 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

» CT call sign (Issued)
antenna - 2m Homebrew Antenna - Testing with FT8 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
antenna - 2m Homebrew Antenna - Testing with FT8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

antenna - 2m Homebrew Antenna - Testing with FT8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
antenna - 2m Homebrew Antenna - Testing with FT8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
antenna - 2m Homebrew Antenna - Testing with FT8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

Keywords
callsign ss9900 sign Baofeng list 9900 supply power president yaesu meter 6900 chart anytone display Mckinley antenna ALINCO Mobile Sirio 2022 software 2023 call lincoln frequency
QRZ Database

2m Homebrew Antenna - Testing with FT8

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

antenna - 2m Homebrew Antenna - Testing with FT8 Empty
PostSubject: 2m Homebrew Antenna - Testing with FT8   antenna - 2m Homebrew Antenna - Testing with FT8 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2021 4:34 pm

Hi all,

Hope you are all keeping well.

Just a little update on my homebrew antenna antics......

As some of you may know I was donated a Yaesu FT290r a while ago and successfully repaired it :-

https://charlietangodxgroup.forumotion.com/t3182-yaesu-ft290r-and-repair-of

Having access to 2m VHF SSB also saw me building a Halo antenna for horizontal polarisation :-

https://charlietangodxgroup.forumotion.com/t3202-2m-halo-homebrew-antenna

Now, it all appeared to work the antenna passing basic tests using an antenna analyser with flying colours.
I could pick up the GB3VHF beacon at 144.430MHz, (which still took me by surprise), but despite transmitting on the 2m SSB calling channel I received no response. (???) I knew it all worked on the vertical antenna after chatting to a couple of friends but neither of them are equipped with horizontal polarised antennas.

Scanning the SSB frequencies did find me picking up occasional signals at 144.175MHz the FT8 'channel'.
I had built an interface for HF FT8 for my Yaesu FT757gx a while back and set about hooking it up to the FT290. Unfortunately the 290 doesn't have a VOX facility and I don't have a spare 7-pin plug nor yet built a VOX circuit to hook it all up properly.

(Although I have plans in line and will happily share them at a later date when I've completed them. Wink)

So in the mean time I simply hooked up the homebrew interface audio input for the PC to the external speaker connection on the FT290 and set the volume so that the WSJT-X software didn't scream at me. (It's all about setting levels man....)

After a couple of hours of 'listening' with WSJT-X linked up with PSK Reporter I was happy to receive this information :-

antenna - 2m Homebrew Antenna - Testing with FT8 Ft8_fi10

Seems I received quite a few signals!! Smile

The furthest reception was some 500km+ away..... and yes I know that this is a weak signal mode but gave me some idea as to whether the antenna is working properly or not.

It definitely seems to. Wink

....For reception at least.

Next up is ordering that 7-pin mic plug and cobbling together a VOX circuit for transmission to see how well this antenna is really doing.

Despite 'reccomendations' that abound you don't need a fancy new rig with USB, Sound-cards, CAT control, etc. etc. A simple audio input and output will suffice....but I'll give you fair warning....you may have to lift a hand and dial in the FT8 frequency by hand...and maybe adjust the volume control. Very Happy

Until the next time......

I wish you all the very best,
Victor

John123, Paddy, glenn dog, VooDoo_Pete, Tim Tom, TuxTiger, Ivy Mike and utumven11 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Ivy Mike
Major contributor
Major contributor
Ivy Mike

Call Sign : 26CT4113/G1HWY
Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : IO90uv
Equipment Used : ICOM radios/antenna farm

PostSubject: Re: 2m Homebrew Antenna - Testing with FT8   antenna - 2m Homebrew Antenna - Testing with FT8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2021 6:04 am

Well done that is pretty good going.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: 2m Homebrew Antenna - Testing with FT8   antenna - 2m Homebrew Antenna - Testing with FT8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2021 9:04 am

Cheers Mike, much appreciated. antenna - 2m Homebrew Antenna - Testing with FT8 1f44d 

Must get back to work on this but already impressed with what can be achieved from what is after all some bent copper pipe! Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 148
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

PostSubject: Re: 2m Homebrew Antenna - Testing with FT8   antenna - 2m Homebrew Antenna - Testing with FT8 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2021 12:37 pm

Nice work, Victor.👍

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2m Homebrew Antenna - Testing with FT8   antenna - 2m Homebrew Antenna - Testing with FT8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2m Homebrew Antenna - Testing with FT8
Page 1 of 1