Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
Keywords
callsign frequency president display Mckinley antenna anytone 9900 Mobile SS6900 lincoln yaesu Calling ss9900 ss6900n sign coax power midland bazooka Sirio ALINCO call list radio 6900
QRZ Database

I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's....

Go down 
+7
stephen Gunrunner
G0RQQ
Yorker999
Markone
Alan Pilot
Victor
TheReverend
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 Ham M7VIC
Times Thanked : 185
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's....   I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2021 8:32 am

Hi Simon,

Great to hear about your continued radio adventures and the interest as well as excitement for it all.

I have to agree with Alan's statement and can see you going for that Foundation licence soon.  I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... - Page 3 1f44d 

The 1.25m or 220MHz band is not an Amateur Radio band here in the UK but is in the US. Ofcom hold the details of the UK frequency allocation table (UKFAT) at the following link :-

https://static.ofcom.org.uk/static/spectrum/fat.html

There's also a PDF version available but it's 178 pages long. (Take some ink/toner to print that lot off! Wink )

Continue having fun there Simon and definitely look further into that Foundation licence. If you think you're excited 'listening in' imagine how you'll feel being able to transmit and truly join in.

All the best to you,
Victor

SangueG likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / M7TDV
Times Thanked : 18
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : SS6900N, Xiegu G90, DX-300 for SWL, all HF antennas home-made

PostSubject: Re: I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's....   I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2021 6:55 pm

Glad you're enjoying it Simon. The net you listened to is the same one I have done the last couple of weeks whilst walking the dog.

My UV 5R is the III too. I only bought that one because it was the cheapest I found from a UK supplier. I haven't heard anything bar a few odd noises on 1.25m. I bet there's a good chance that a few people will be using that band in the UK illegally as this model is so freely available (at the moment), so worth a scan through now and then to see if you do catch some action.

Interesting and useful info posted on your findings of the "fake" Nagoya NA771s. Today my UV 5R has been joined by a Retevis RHD771 plus a homemade 1/4 wave pigtail for 70cm. Receive so far seems exactly the same for 70cm but notable improvement for 2m. I feel a bit dirty though as I have broken my streak of only using homemade antennas since coming back to radio this year, but streak stays maintained for HF Smile I blame my better half.. apparently my plans to walk around with 2' of copper pipe sticking up out of a backpack is embarrassing. Glad she told me otherwise I never would of known Embarassed

Look forward to catching you on air some day on the pmr channels, or one of the other frequencies if you decide to take your hobby/interests further Smile

TheReverend likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://station-master.online/M7TDV
Razz229
Major contributor
Major contributor
Razz229

Call Sign : 26 CT 2290 & 26 CI 2290
Times Thanked : 15
QTH or Location : Kent
Equipment Used : On 11m a Anytone 6666, Moonraker 1/2 wave vertical antenna or a Sirio 4000. On PMR a TYT TH-9000D, a 1/4 wave GPA, homemade mag mount & sometimes a 8 element beam.

PostSubject: Re: I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's....   I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2021 8:11 pm

Hi Neal

Take a look at this video by Jason CT 965

If you start it at about the 11 minute mark, you will see Gary with a homemade portable PMR antenna sticking out of his backpack, which, in my opinion, doesn't looking embarrassing.

Ray
CT 2290 or CI 2290

Victor and SangueG like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheReverend

Call Sign : 26-CT-3921
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Marlborough
Equipment Used : SS9900, B550p, HP-202, Sirio 4000 and T2lT, UV-5R

PostSubject: Re: I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's....   I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2021 10:43 pm

SangueG wrote:
Glad you're enjoying it Simon. The net you listened to is the same one I have done the last couple of weeks whilst walking the dog.

My UV 5R is the III too. I only bought that one because it was the cheapest I found from a UK supplier. I haven't heard anything bar a few odd noises on 1.25m. I bet there's a good chance that a few people will be using that band in the UK illegally as this model is so freely available (at the moment), so worth a scan through now and then to see if you do catch some action.

Interesting and useful info posted on your findings of the "fake" Nagoya NA771s. Today my UV 5R has been joined by a Retevis RHD771 plus a homemade 1/4 wave pigtail for 70cm. Receive so far seems exactly the same for 70cm but notable improvement for 2m. I feel a bit dirty though as I have broken my streak of only using homemade antennas since coming back to radio this year, but streak stays maintained for HF Smile I blame my better half.. apparently my plans to walk around with 2' of copper pipe sticking up out of a backpack is embarrassing. Glad she told me otherwise I never would of known Embarassed

Look forward to catching you on air some day on the pmr channels, or one of the other frequencies if you decide to take your hobby/interests further Smile
Thanks for the reply, and I'm with you on embarrassing antenna situations!! I want to give these little radios the best chance for receive and transmit, so the Retevis is now on my list.  I also LOVE the idea of making my own antennas and, rightly or wrongly, I see the VHF bands as the ideal for cost effective experimentation.  We'll definitely catch-up on the frequencies soon chap!!

SangueG likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / M7TDV
Times Thanked : 18
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : SS6900N, Xiegu G90, DX-300 for SWL, all HF antennas home-made

PostSubject: Re: I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's....   I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2021 9:09 pm

Razz229 wrote:

If you start it at about the 11 minute mark, you will see Gary with a homemade portable PMR antenna sticking out of his backpack, which, in my opinion, doesn't looking embarrassing.

I very much agree, looks very well done. My better half does not share our outlook of such a setup though I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... - Page 3 1f610
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://station-master.online/M7TDV
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's....   I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's....
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Help and Discussion Forums :: PMR446, DMR, LPD Radios-
Jump to: