Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» what was your first radio and antenna
I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... Icon_minitimeToday at 5:21 am by Numenius

» Help needed
I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... Icon_minitimeToday at 5:13 am by Numenius

I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:23 pm by Mr T

» gre 225 radio scanner
I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 pm by rabbi

» crt ss 9900
I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:21 pm by John123

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

» CT call sign (Issued)
I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 8:43 pm by stealth 57

Keywords
Mckinley callsign supply display call chart meter ss9900 software Mobile lincoln yaesu list 9900 Baofeng anytone 2023 sign 6900 president power Sirio 2022 antenna frequency ALINCO
QRZ Database

I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's....

Go down 
+10
Mudslinger
SangueG
Mr Scientist
stephen Gunrunner
G0RQQ
Yorker999
Markone
Alan Pilot
Victor
TheReverend
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
TheReverend
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3921 / M7GDA
Times Thanked : 6
QTH or Location : Lambourn
Equipment Used : CRT SS9900, CRT ONE N, CRT Electro, UV-5r, B550p, HP-202, Sirio 4000, T2lT, Sharmans X-50, Diamond A430....and many bits of wire.

I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... Empty
PostSubject: I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's....   I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... Icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2021 1:25 am

Hi all,

I've just bought myself a couple of UV-5R's (4w) and a programming cable.  As I'm currently studying for my foundation, all I've done thus far is turn them on to make sure that they're not DOA.  I'm thinking that for the time being I should program/use them for the legal 446 frequencies here in the UK for transmit, and leave the 136-174 frequencies alone for just listening?  Assuming I pass my foundation, will I be able to use these radios on the legal bands in the UK?

Many thanks

Simon.

Victor, Alan - Mirror Man and Yorker999 like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's....   I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... Icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2021 6:20 am

Hi Simon,

Firstly may I wish you the very best with your Foundation studies and sure you will pass with enough study. I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... 1f44d 

The little Baofeng radios live in a love/hate world and either get a knocking or, (as in my case), absolutely loved for what they are.....Fantastic little radios for the price!

There are a few options for programming them and I'd either recommend the use of the software "CHIRP" or even better learn to program them manually. (The latter means you won't go through the pain of sorting programming cables that actually 'work'!!!!)

The CHIRP software can be found at :-

https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

One manual method can be found at :-

https://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_ProgMem.php

The Miklor site is worth exploring more as you'll find loads of information about these and other radios too including software programming or even how to build your own programming leads. I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... 1f44d 

Worth programming them up for PMR446 to start with so that you can have a good play with the radios first. (But remember they are technically illegal due to power output, antenna, etc. Always worth knowing as ignorance is no defence of the law.)

There are 16 analogue channels for the UK which is what you want and can be found at multiple sources including Wikipedia :-

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PMR446

When you pass your Foundation you can program up these radios for use on two Radio Amateur bands, the 70cm band and as you mention the 2m band for legal use. Of course you can always program them before passing your exam for listening but don't be tempted to key up at all. Sure, Ofcom may not have the resources to track down illegal use but you'll not be welcomed fondly by the amateur community if you become 'one of those guys' that transmits illegally or 'kerchunk' your local repeaters! Wink

The frequencies or band plans for 2m and 70 cm can be found on the RSGB website :-

https://rsgb.org/main/operating/band-plans/

I'd start with programming in the Simplex channel frequencies and then add in a few local repeaters. A great source for finding out repeaters in your area is via ''RepeaterBook" which will list their input and output frequencies as well as CTCSS tones. Just do a search for repeater book and you'll find the site as well as a very handy App that you can run on a phone to instantly check repeaters in your area.

I'll leave it there for now as that's a lot of info to absorb and will keep you busy for a while. Smile

But just to let you know.....

'Tropospheric propagation' on the 2m frequencies can allow contact with other operators way further than you'll ever expect. When I was first licenced a 'lift' allowed an operator from Liverpool to break into a conversation I was having with a friend in Bedfordshire - that's some distance for VHF over 'normal' conditions!
(Those 'lifts' are quite common too! Smile )

On 70cm with a home made beam antenna constructed from old TV antenna bits I was able to fire from North Bedfordshire into the Tring repeater in Hertfordshire to talk to my friend in North London......not only that but we had a call in during this from a new M7 operator who was located by the Thames!

None too shabby for a cheap little radio. Smile

Enjoy yourself and once again I wish you good luck with your Foundation.

All the best,
Victor

Sydthecat, Leurbost2006, Paddy, Alan Pilot, Alan - Mirror Man, TheReverend, NoMad and Yorker999 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's....   I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... Icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2021 6:44 am

Good advice from our Victor as always.
One thing that catches people out when programming repeaters it the TX and RX you need to program them opposite way to what you see on the RepeaterBook page sounds daft but does catch people out.
The frequency's are what the repeater works on so your TX is the repeater RX if you get what i mean.
It is early and you might know that but i have come across this with at least 2 new stations in my location.

Victor, Alan - Mirror Man, TheReverend and Yorker999 like this post

Back to top Go down
Markone
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Markone

Call Sign : 26-CT-3433
QTH or Location : Hull
Equipment Used : Midland Alan 88s + crt 9900+5/8 gain master

PostSubject: Re: I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's....   I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... Icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2021 9:58 am

Hi Simon, great minds and all that. Sat hear waiting for uv5r to be delivered. Not having much luck on 11m so worth a try.let us know how you get on.
regards
mark 26ct3433

Alan - Mirror Man, TheReverend and Yorker999 like this post

Back to top Go down
Yorker999
Yorker999

Call Sign : 26-CT-4298
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Ilkley West Yorkshire
Equipment Used : Baofeng PMR / YORKS JCB 863 CB /Sharman V2000

PostSubject: Re: I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's....   I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... Icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2021 1:54 pm

I'm in the same boat ...I am studying for foundation and use the UV-5RTP for listening in on 2m/70cm. I also use the radio - with a Nagoya NA771 antenna and Baofeng fist mike for PMR .It has great range even when inside a building ..I am reaching 25 mile plus on PMR without issues. 

I have also used the Baofeng as an emergency backup marine radio, which although isn't an approved marine device , certainly performs and having used it to summon coast guard / RNLI assistance this summer while walking on a remote beach...No -one questioned the type of radio. Only praise from the emergency services for me having the fore thought to carry a radio while out walking in an area where mobile phone signal was non existent due to terrain. And before you jump up saying ''licence ????!'  I hold an Ofcom Ship Portable Radio Licence -  Smile

Alan - Mirror Man and TheReverend like this post

Back to top Go down
G0RQQ
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26CT866
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Lincoln
Equipment Used : CRT2000 on CB, FT-920 on amateur bands; end-fed wire 20m long

PostSubject: Re: I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's....   I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... Icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2021 11:24 am

I’ve used the RT Systems software to programme a number of Baofeng’s for myself and others. I don’t know if the Chirp software does the same, but with the RT programme you can set a channel to “No Transmit” to avoid accidental transmissions on, say, marine frequencies or on ham frequencies if your license hasn’t come through yet. You can easily revert to transmit capability once the license is issued by simply reprogramming the radio.

Back to top Go down
stephen Gunrunner
Major contributor
Major contributor
stephen Gunrunner

Call Sign : 26CT526/MR021/M6XXX.
Times Thanked : 10
QTH or Location : wooler north northumberland or some were near it
Equipment Used : mobile 4000hp base A99 radio base magnum257hp mobile magnum 257 standed power

PostSubject: Re: I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's....   I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... Icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2021 2:26 pm

great little radios i have mine just for pmr as there good and with a new antenna you get a good range

Victor, Alan - Mirror Man and TheReverend like this post

Back to top Go down
TheReverend
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Equipment Used : CRT SS9900, CRT ONE N, CRT Electro, UV-5r, B550p, HP-202, Sirio 4000, T2lT, Sharmans X-50, Diamond A430....and many bits of wire.

PostSubject: Re: I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's....   I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... Icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2021 11:37 pm

Victor wrote:
Hi Simon,

Firstly may I wish you the very best with your Foundation studies and sure you will pass with enough study. I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... 1f44d 

The little Baofeng radios live in a love/hate world and either get a knocking or, (as in my case), absolutely loved for what they are.....Fantastic little radios for the price!

There are a few options for programming them and I'd either recommend the use of the software "CHIRP" or even better learn to program them manually. (The latter means you won't go through the pain of sorting programming cables that actually 'work'!!!!)

The CHIRP software can be found at :-

https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

One manual method can be found at :-

https://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_ProgMem.php

The Miklor site is worth exploring more as you'll find loads of information about these and other radios too including software programming or even how to build your own programming leads. I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... 1f44d 

Worth programming them up for PMR446 to start with so that you can have a good play with the radios first. (But remember they are technically illegal due to power output, antenna, etc. Always worth knowing as ignorance is no defence of the law.)

There are 16 analogue channels for the UK which is what you want and can be found at multiple sources including Wikipedia :-

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PMR446

When you pass your Foundation you can program up these radios for use on two Radio Amateur bands, the 70cm band and as you mention the 2m band for legal use. Of course you can always program them before passing your exam for listening but don't be tempted to key up at all. Sure, Ofcom may not have the resources to track down illegal use but you'll not be welcomed fondly by the amateur community if you become 'one of those guys' that transmits illegally or 'kerchunk' your local repeaters! Wink

The frequencies or band plans for 2m and 70 cm can be found on the RSGB website :-

https://rsgb.org/main/operating/band-plans/

I'd start with programming in the Simplex channel frequencies and then add in a few local repeaters. A great source for finding out repeaters in your area is via ''RepeaterBook" which will list their input and output frequencies as well as CTCSS tones. Just do a search for repeater book and you'll find the site as well as a very handy App that you can run on a phone to instantly check repeaters in your area.

I'll leave it there for now as that's a lot of info to absorb and will keep you busy for a while. Smile

But just to let you know.....

'Tropospheric propagation' on the 2m frequencies can allow contact with other operators way further than you'll ever expect. When I was first licenced a 'lift' allowed an operator from Liverpool to break into a conversation I was having with a friend in Bedfordshire - that's some distance for VHF over 'normal' conditions!
(Those 'lifts' are quite common too! Smile )

On 70cm with a home made beam antenna constructed from old TV antenna bits I was able to fire from North Bedfordshire into the Tring repeater in Hertfordshire to talk to my friend in North London......not only that but we had a call in during this from a new M7 operator who was located by the Thames!

None too shabby for a cheap little radio. Smile

Enjoy yourself and once again I wish you good luck with your Foundation.

All the best,
Victor
Thanks Victor, much appreciated!!

Victor and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's....   I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2021 5:45 am

You're more than very welcome Simon. I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... 1f44d 

I'm always thoroughly pleased if any of my 'drivel' helps in any way. Smile

All the best,
Victor

Back to top Go down
TheReverend
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

PostSubject: Re: I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's....   I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2021 11:05 pm

Yorker999 wrote:
I'm in the same boat ...I am studying for foundation and use the UV-5RTP for listening in on 2m/70cm. I also use the radio - with a Nagoya NA771 antenna and Baofeng fist mike for PMR .It has great range even when inside a building ..I am reaching 25 mile plus on PMR without issues. 

I have also used the Baofeng as an emergency backup marine radio, which although isn't an approved marine device , certainly performs and having used it to summon coast guard / RNLI assistance this summer while walking on a remote beach...No -one questioned the type of radio. Only praise from the emergency services for me having the fore thought to carry a radio while out walking in an area where mobile phone signal was non existent due to terrain. And before you jump up saying ''licence ????!'  I hold an Ofcom Ship Portable Radio Licence -  Smile

Thanks chap. Can I just ask where you purchased your NA771 from please?  I've just googled them and Baofeng have them on its website for £6 whereas Amazon sellers are charging £20-£30 for them!?!

Alan - Mirror Man likes this post

Back to top Go down
TheReverend
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

PostSubject: Re: I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's....   I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2021 11:06 pm

Victor wrote:
You're more than very welcome Simon. I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... 1f44d 

I'm always thoroughly pleased if any of my 'drivel' helps in any way. Smile

All the best,
Victor
It certainly does Victor!! I have plenty of other simple questions stored-up to ask too!

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's....   I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2021 9:04 am

TheReverend wrote:
Yorker999 wrote:

Thanks chap. Can I just ask where you purchased your NA771 from please?  I've just googled them and Baofeng have them on its website for £6 whereas Amazon sellers are charging £20-£30 for them!?!
Many fake's about.
I have several of both (don't ask long storey) google how to tell the fake's from genuine.
Think the fakes come in an orange package and genuine green but there is a mark in the writing that tells the genuine ones.
I sold some of the genuine ones for £16.50 posted and tried to sell the fake ones on the bay at 3 for £12 i think it was but not sold any so they hang as orniments on the shack wall.

Alan - Mirror Man, TheReverend and SangueG like this post

Back to top Go down
Markone
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Markone

PostSubject: Re: I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's....   I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... Icon_minitimeSun Nov 07, 2021 10:04 am

just a little update, my £23.00 UV5RT arrived last Tuesday. programmed 16 pmr channels and 2m repeater. never heard a sausage for days, I've been scammed was my thoughts. Had a nana nap Saturday afternoon, with the beofeng on scan. To my surprise it burst into life. First contact about 6mile,then 10miles then Hull to Bridlington 20 miles. More strange everyone I spoke to was a licenced amateur. Did you receive yours and what was your experience with these radios. To many contests on HF are pushing me into form of radio, no offence if you like contesting.
take care 
mark

Back to top Go down
TheReverend
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

PostSubject: Re: I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's....   I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 08, 2021 5:27 pm

Markone wrote:
just a little update, my £23.00 UV5RT arrived last Tuesday. programmed 16 pmr channels and 2m repeater. never heard a sausage for days, I've been scammed was my thoughts. Had a nana nap Saturday afternoon, with the beofeng on scan. To my surprise it burst into life. First contact about 6mile,then 10miles then Hull to Bridlington 20 miles. More strange everyone I spoke to was a licenced amateur. Did you receive yours and what was your experience with these radios. To many contests on HF are pushing me into form of radio, no offence if you like contesting.
take care 
mark
Thanks for your reply Mark.  I've been busy working, so I'm just about to order the NA771 antennas from Knights.  I trust them and know that they'll be selling originals.  My UV-5R's are re-badged versions fulfilled by Amazon, from a company called eSYNiC.  I've no idea how the bands are programmed, so I'll be looking through that this evening, if I get the time!  I can feel plenty more questions on the horizon on this!

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's....   I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... Icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2021 7:25 am

Hi Mark, nice to see you having bit of fun with these great little radios. I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... 1f44d 

Hi Simon, you'll soon be getting to grips with yours too. Smile

There's a good little antenna review section on the Miklor site I mentioned above :-

https://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_AntennaPage.php

It includes details of how to spot a fake Nagoya too.

I've played around with quite a few 'homebrew' antennas on my Baofeng and you'd be surprised of how capable these little radios are. On the stock antenna I was easily able to fire up my local 2m repeater anywhere in the house but I must be close to it as I can even open it with a dummy load! Very Happy
I had to venture outside to open the next 2m repeater but the nearest 70cm repeater required me to hang out of a bedroom window to open it and was a bit of a precarious situation to be in(!)

I soon purchased a BNC adapter for it so I could play with antennas, the 'pigtail' types usually fail from poor crimping so I have a direct screw SMA to BNC on it although I had to put a washer between to seat properly and have a mechanically strong fitting. Never failed yet. I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... 1f44d 

I found for 2m VHF a base coil loaded half wave worked best, a commercial version would be something like the MFJ-1714. Unfortunately it's not such a great arrangement for UHF 70cm/PMR. I soon constructed a dual band version which although didn't perform as well on 2m VHF did give me great UHF performance. These are a bit more complicated to 'homebrew' so I'd suggest something like the RH770's which are branded by several manufacturers.

The fun really comes in when you hook them up to much bigger antennas!
Sure, they won't be as portable as with a stock antenna on them but your range would be massively increased. I've had mine hooked to everything from dipoles, J-Poles to Yagi beams and even ran it as my 'homebase' setup for quite a while. (I've heard operators hook them up to the old Diamond white stick collinears with great success.)

You'll often hear the stories about 'front end overloading', 'intermodulation distortion', etc. but I've yet to experience any of those problems so far.

The nice thing about these radios is you don't have to worry about them too much.....break it, lose it or even if it gets stolen it's just another £20 or so for a replacement. Smile

I hope you guys have as much fun with your little radios as I've had and still having with mine.

Oh, Mark, most of my PMR contact has strangely enough been with other Hams - but still nice to use my CT call sign over there. Wink

All the best,
Victor

Back to top Go down
Yorker999
Yorker999

Call Sign : 26-CT-4298
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Ilkley West Yorkshire
Equipment Used : Baofeng PMR / YORKS JCB 863 CB /Sharman V2000

PostSubject: Re: I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's....   I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... Icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2021 11:19 am

TheReverend wrote:
Yorker999 wrote:

I GOT MY NA771 FROM BAOFENG .CO.UK

beware - there are a lot of sites selling fakes.
Back to top Go down
Markone
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Markone

PostSubject: Re: I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's....   I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... Icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2021 12:12 pm

hi Simon, plenty of info on you tube for programming, did mine manually,16 channels pmr and the local repeater. Not even bothered reading instructions. Hope you find time to have a  play.

hi victor, the Diamond antennas and good quality coax are next on my shopping list.

take care
mark 26ct3433

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Markone
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Markone

PostSubject: Re: I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's....   I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... Icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2021 1:12 pm

good luck finding someone who pays £75 to use a £30 radio, but get the legal point. May be if OFCOM policed the bands (all bands) operators my be inclined to pay a little. If I was to be honest, the radio world is basically self policing and can be like the wild west. Last week on 11m I came a cross a uk station using 1kw of power so think 5w will not keep many awake of a night.
take care
mark

Paddy, Victor and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's....   I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... Icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2021 3:49 pm

Peeta, (Mr Scientist), I'd already pointed out the technical illegalities to Simon in an earlier posting....

...but also assisted and wished him the very best with his Radio Amateur Foundation studies where he'll get the most use from them.

You'll also be surprised how far 500mW can get you, especially with a 'Tropospheric Lift' on.

Paddy, Alan - Mirror Man and TheReverend like this post

Back to top Go down
TheReverend
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

PostSubject: Re: I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's....   I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... Icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2021 11:04 pm

Victor wrote:
Peeta, (Mr Scientist), I'd already pointed out the technical illegalities to Simon in an earlier posting....

...but also assisted and wished him the very best with his Radio Amateur Foundation studies where he'll get the most use from them.

You'll also be surprised how far 500mW can get you, especially with a 'Tropospheric Lift' on.
Victor, thanks.  I live in a bowl shaped valley, so I'd be very surprised if anything made it out of here when testing 446!!

I did try to do some Chirp programming last night, but without success.  I'm not sure that my 'Baofeng' programming cable is working with the radio (or at all!), as Chirp isn't finding it.  I suspect I need to check which com port it's assigned to and try again tonight.  I took one of my UV-5R's to work today and spent a bit of time scanning the stock frequencies before settling to listening on 145.500 and 433.500 for the drive home, just in case there was anyone calling out, but nothing heard.

Back to top Go down
TheReverend
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

PostSubject: Re: I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's....   I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... Icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2021 11:57 pm

Hi all, I've just updated the USB Serial drivers on my laptop and got one step further with connecting to the UV-5R via Chirp, yay!  It's connected and it's downloaded the current profile, so I'm happy that the cable works.....I'm just wondering why my other UV-5R I'd already tried to program didn't connect, so I might re-set that one and try again, or just go the manual route.....either way is good experience.

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's....   I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2021 6:13 am

Hi Simon,

Well done with the programming mate. I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... 1f44d 

There can be some 'finickity' problems such as Windows altering the COM port to ensuring the cable is pushed all the way into the radio and switching on in the right order. None of them big issues really but manual programming is a skill worth learning if you want full flexibility.

I doubt you'll hear much activity on the FM calling channels, we certainly don't around this way so it might be worth programming up for the nearest repeaters.

Round your way the nearest repeaters would be in Swindon and Newbury both on 2m and 70cm and within coverage of your home location and maybe commute.

You can find repeaters with either the 'RepeaterBook' app or take a look at this site :-

https://ukrepeater.net/maps.html

To help out the repeaters are :-

GB3WH - Swindon -2m analogue voice
GB3TD - Swindon - 70cm analogue voice
GB3NE - Newbury - 2m analogue voice
GB7NT - Newbury - 70cm analogue voice

I mention 'analogue voice' as a lot of repeaters are digital versions which you won't be able to receive on your Baofeng.

You can see the input/output frequencies, CTCSS etc. on the above site or just search for the repeaters directly, (type the call sign into a search such as 'GB3WH').

I don't know how busy the repeaters are down there but worth a listen. GB3PI near me is usually busy around morning and afternoon commute times but GB3BF is very quiet apart from an often quick 8pm 'net' for the local club. You're lucky in that you have four accessible repeaters within range! Smile

Worth giving them a listen and if you hear some radio traffic it'll give you a buzz knowing that once you pass your Foundation you'll be able to chat back!  I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... 1f44d 

Best of luck,
Victor

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's....   I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2021 6:54 am

Oh, just to add.....

I know radio 'clubs' are not for everyone but always worth at least one visit and see how it goes. Wink

Round your way there is the :-

SDARC - Swindon & District Amateur Radio Club

and also the :-

NADARS - Newbury And District Amateur Radio Society

(click on any of the above to go to their websites)

Some clubs are great with a lot of activity, warm welcomes to new people and a great way to meet 'Hams' in your area.
They're not for everyone, (myself included, unusually socially awkward Wink), but can be 'just the ticket' for some.

Of course there's always good old Charlie Tango - we welcome all regardless of radio interest and we have natural 'social distancing'. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's....   I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2021 8:38 am

I am a member of SDARC and get info mails through from them. I haven't used the Swindon VHF and UHF repeaters, but from the posts I get through it looks like the VHF one gets a lot of use. They have been having a weekly get together on 2m, the next one is scheduled as below..

Start: Monday, November 15, 2021 7:30 PM
End: Monday, November 15, 2021 8:30 PM
Tonight we will run a net using GB3WH.
The net will run from around 1930 and be an open forum for discussion allowing us to keep in contact during this difficult time. 

Please join us, all contributions are very welcome. The more the merrier.

Callsign:GB3WH
Band:2M VHF
Frequency:Your Transmit    145.050MHz

Your Receive      145.650MHz

Channel:R2 - RV52
Tone Access:118.8Hz CTCSS (J)

GB3WH user guide available on GB3WH site.

I have only joined in the end of one net which they held on 10m a couple of months back, but from that and mail correspondence they appear friendly and welcoming.

M0GQC (youtube channel AmateurRadioUK) is Swindon area based and sometimes uses VHF/UHF, one to listen out for as he has a fun and down to earth/real feel to his videos.

Great info by CT members here in this thread, thank you, it has been interesting. Need to stop dilly dallying and press the buy button on one of these little units Laughing

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's....   I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's....
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next