Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 11m conditions
High cost of Rigs. Icon_minitimeToday at 6:08 am by SangueG

» EU conditions have started
High cost of Rigs. Icon_minitimeToday at 6:04 am by SangueG

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge League Table 2024
High cost of Rigs. Icon_minitimeToday at 5:35 am by SangueG

» CT callsign please (Issued)
High cost of Rigs. Icon_minitimeToday at 2:23 am by Pozerman1959

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
High cost of Rigs. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:25 pm by Sydthecat

» Siro Boomerang 27A
High cost of Rigs. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:28 am by FreqFreak

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
High cost of Rigs. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:10 am by Razz229

» Ten on 10m FM - event 20th April
High cost of Rigs. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2024 12:04 pm by SangueG

» END FED QUESTIONS ..
High cost of Rigs. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2024 1:00 am by VanRougeT4

Keywords
chart frequency Mckinley lincoln president anytone display software 2022 sign 9900 meter callsign antenna 6900 power call Sirio Baofeng ss9900 Mobile supply 2023 ALINCO list yaesu
QRZ Database

High cost of Rigs.

Go down 
+7
Northern Crusader
GaryWilson
teapot
SangueG
Victor
MikeInCzechRep
rekibrepus
11 posters
AuthorMessage
rekibrepus
rekibrepus

Call Sign : 29-CT-074
Times Thanked : 4
QTH or Location : Castleblayney, Monoghan.
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-767 GX Venom silver rod and Sigma SE-HF-X80

High cost of Rigs. Empty
PostSubject: High cost of Rigs.   High cost of Rigs. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2022 11:19 pm

I am pretty new to the hobby but have a reasonable mobile rig as home base and have been looking around for something a bit more grown up if you get my drift.
I am amazed at the prices, most beyond my reach but hey ho it is life however, one of the things that really raises my eyebrows is how many rigs are advertised as "Bought it a few months ago but dont need it" only £1000. Where do these people find a grand laying around to spend on something they didnt really need ? Wow if I had that sort of cash just free to use I would make flippin sure I knew what I wanted. Love to hear others views on this and and see if I am just a tight ole miser  Laughing

Take care all. 73s

glenn dog, Victor, SangueG and Kookie1947 like this post

Back to top Go down
MikeInCzechRep
Contributor
Contributor
MikeInCzechRep

Call Sign : 329-CT-007 G7SWR
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Prague.
Equipment Used : Stalker 9FDX, York JCB863 ADI AT-200

High cost of Rigs. Empty
PostSubject: Re: High cost of Rigs.   High cost of Rigs. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2022 6:42 am

I am on quite a restricted budget also but I am lucky I kept my old CB's for when i had the time and inclination to get back into the hobby. 

I have been doing a fair bit of online window shopping and seeing nice sets for way more than my monthly income made me wonder how anyone can afford them let alone just grab one on a whim.

i guess we we were just not let in on the secret of how to earn so much.....

right im off to warm up by a photo of a fire and get ready for the day.

glenn dog, Victor, SangueG, Kookie1947 and rekibrepus like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

High cost of Rigs. Empty
PostSubject: Re: High cost of Rigs.   High cost of Rigs. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2022 7:21 am

Hi Michael,

By a 'grown up' rig do you mean Amateur Radio gear? Only because a 'grand' sounds about right for something like an ICOM 7300 or similar.

Considering the facilities, frequency coverage, 100W output let alone the R&D behind such radios I think that's a veritable bargain even if it's out of reach of my own meagre pockets. For most Amateur Radio operators something like that is relatively cheap and if they didn't get on with it the resale value is good enough to not lose too much.

I suppose it depends on you point of view and for me buying such a radio with a 1.8 MHz to 54Mhz coverage if you were only going to use it for CB seems a bit overboard, but then again it might tempt anyone to gain their 'ticket' and use it more fully. (That statement will probably open a can of worms for those that bought such a radio for CB use only and I've seen it argued to death elsewhere.)

For some £1000 is toy money and for others it's a substantial layout, such is the way of the world.

I'm just lucky I was able to repair, restore, modify and build my own radio equipment or could never have afforded the hobby that I enjoy immensely. It's also part of the personal appeal for myself being more akin to those early radio pioneers that first filled the airwaves.

Horse for courses there Michael and if anything I'm a bit jealous of your Cobra 148 which is a very fine radio that attracts (to me) silly prices for junk second hand examples.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder......and so is the price.

Great posting, be interesting to read others views on it all.

All the best,
Victor

glenn dog, SangueG, rekibrepus and Sharpshooter like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

High cost of Rigs. Empty
PostSubject: Re: High cost of Rigs.   High cost of Rigs. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2022 7:23 am

Hi Michael. Maybe others were as fortunate as me to be contacted by a cousin of a Nigerian Prince to help them gain access to a trust fund for them, rewarding with a handsome payment Wink 

..joke of course. I've been pretty frugal so far with spends on radio. You've very lucky to have a 148GTL-DX to work with, a great classic.

glenn dog, Victor, rekibrepus and MikeInCzechRep like this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
teapot
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4484
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Torquay
Equipment Used : cobra 148 glt dx starlker9 fdx, icom 706 mk1

High cost of Rigs. Empty
PostSubject: Re: High cost of Rigs.   High cost of Rigs. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2022 8:17 am

i must agree people believe their radio are worth more than they are i spend a lot of time window shopping on ebay i was lucky i got a ft 840 for £250 a couple a weeks ago had some teething problems with it but got it sorted out with help from here and a couple of local breakers now it is a great radio.
 hope you find what you are looking for.
dave

Victor and rekibrepus like this post

Back to top Go down
rekibrepus
rekibrepus

High cost of Rigs. Empty
PostSubject: Re: High cost of Rigs.   High cost of Rigs. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2022 9:51 am

Good morning. Just a quick reply to many interesting replies, I see your point there Victor and do agree with most, no I am not looking for CB only as I have the Cobra so no issue. No I am taking my exam shortly and want to just get better than my Retevis 95. On a limited pension it does seem that I am on a losing battle here and will just have to sit and await for something to pop up, with cost of living ect that will probably happen when I am on my way in the big black car. Never mind I am still hopeful and I will expand my equipment and knowledge to fully enjoy my hobby. Thanks by the way for the amazing amount I have learned just reading the info on this wonderful forum.
Michael.

Victor and teapot like this post

Back to top Go down
teapot
Contributor
Contributor

High cost of Rigs. Empty
PostSubject: Re: High cost of Rigs.   High cost of Rigs. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2022 10:23 am

hi Michael I have a radio for sale it is the same as the 6900 which I don't need anymore you can have it for the same as I paid for it £50 plus £10 postage it will save me putting it on eBay if you want it.
Dave

Victor and Alan Pilot like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

High cost of Rigs. Empty
PostSubject: Re: High cost of Rigs.   High cost of Rigs. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2022 10:33 am

That sounds awesome Michael and I'm always up for anyone expanding their radio interests especially taking their 'ticket'. High cost of Rigs. 1f44d

I wish you the very best of luck with it. Amazing to get those extra frequencies! Smile

I was lucky in being gifted my old Yaesu FT757gx but it took me the best part of a year on and off to restore the damn thing. (PITA faults and problems with spares!) Neal, SangueG, above has done admirably well with a little Xiegu G90 with his Amateur Radio adventures. Dave, teapot, made mention and got a veritable bargain with his FT840.

Don't forget there are also other cheaper/new options such as the Indian made uBITx as well as the German uSDX and some Hams do incredible work with them. I'm probably more influenced by radios with 'big knobs' and meters but then with failing eyesight and bear-paw hands I need them!

I have noticed nowadays especially in my local area that a lot of the older Hams frequent the VHF/UHF bands becoming quite commonplace after the lockdown. Always good for a chit-chat if you have common interests.
You'd be surprised when there's a tropospheric lift on and suddenly operators from much further afield drop in!
The equipment for such can be as cheap as chips, (Baofeng, Leixen etc.), and smaller antennas are much easier to erect.

If nothing else you have a great radio already being your Cobra 148 and as we ramp up that solar cycle the radio activity should be awesome. (I'm not just talking about the Sporadic 'E' into Europe either but proper worldwide 'Skip'!)

I'm sure you've got some good radio activity left in you yet Micheal - I'm experiencing my 'second childhood' with this radio malarkey and I've told the missus to forget the expensive black car and just stick me in the skip with my radio 'junk'. Very Happy

All the very best to you,
Victor

teapot, Kookie1947 and rekibrepus like this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

High cost of Rigs. Empty
PostSubject: Re: High cost of Rigs.   High cost of Rigs. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2022 1:25 pm

Michael and anyone else looking for other sources of cheaper equipment other than the bay.. it could be worth your while checking in with local radio clubs as they often have old kit for sale, some from genuine SKs. The group I am with has a web page for theirs:
https://www.sdarc.net/forsale/

If you think there may not be any groups local to you, do a bit more searching, you might be surprised how groups there are. I could only find SDARC when I searched, so joined them, and they welcomed me in thankfully. But since being a member I have been invited whilst on air to join a club in Gloucester and another in Stroud which I had both never heard of before.

rekibrepus and MikeInCzechRep like this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 350
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

High cost of Rigs. Empty
PostSubject: Re: High cost of Rigs.   High cost of Rigs. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2022 1:39 pm

Hi Michael, at the risk of repeating what others have already said, believe it or not radios are actually cheaper than they've ever been. The introduction of Chinese imported kit has made the hobby more accessible than ever before. That being said I fully understand that even today these items are a lot of money.

The Xiegu G90 is a excellent SDR HF radio with 25 watts output and can be purchased new for around £400 pounds and cheap VHF sets both mobile and handhelds are at a price that leaves you wondering how they make any money at all.

I do hope you find something that suits your radio interests and would just like to add that many amateur radio societies and clubs have stations set up and available for members to use free of charge.

Wishing you best 73's Gary.

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

High cost of Rigs. Empty
PostSubject: Re: High cost of Rigs.   High cost of Rigs. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2022 4:46 pm

Further to Gary's and Neal's mention of a local Amateur Radio club the following may help :-

Dundalk Amateur Radio Society

https://ei7dar.com/

It may be worth popping them a visit if you can as they seem to have a lot of activities going on.

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

High cost of Rigs. Empty
PostSubject: Re: High cost of Rigs.   High cost of Rigs. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2022 8:10 pm

rekibrepus wrote:

I am amazed at the prices, most beyond my reach but hey ho it is life however, one of the things that really raises my eyebrows is how many rigs are advertised as "Bought it a few months ago but dont need it" only £1000. Where do these people find a grand laying around to spend on something they didnt really need ? 

That's amateur radio gear and those buying it are mostly older and retired people who've money after decades of working, saving and not generally wasting their money in Maccy Ds or buying £1000 mobile phones. If they buy something for £1200 and sell it for £1000 its only cost them £200.

Radios are dirt cheap compared to what they used to be. Look at the adverts for a Kenwood TS850 when they were new almost 40 years ago and they were over £1000. That money today buys you a radio that's better performing with far more features than the Kenwood ever had.
Back to top Go down
teapot
Contributor
Contributor

High cost of Rigs. Empty
PostSubject: Re: High cost of Rigs.   High cost of Rigs. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2022 8:30 pm

just a quick updated Michael e took up my offer and i sent it out on Friday morning should get by the middle of next week
dave

Kookie1947 and rekibrepus like this post

Back to top Go down
rekibrepus
rekibrepus

High cost of Rigs. Empty
PostSubject: Re: High cost of Rigs.   High cost of Rigs. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2022 10:57 pm

I respect your opinion Northern Crusader, dont necessarily agree but thats what debate is.
Regards.

Last edited by rekibrepus on Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jimbo12625
jimbo12625

Call Sign : 26-CT-4589
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Oxford.
Equipment Used : CRT SS 9900 and CRT Xenon, Moonraker 1/2 wave

High cost of Rigs. Empty
PostSubject: Re: High cost of Rigs.   High cost of Rigs. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2022 8:56 am

I have picked up a CRT SS-9900 and a Intel HR-5500, both 10 meter radios that have been expanded to cover 10/11/12 meters, both at sub £200.  I am not a licenced Amateur, so only listen in on the 10 meter band, and hopefully when I get the time, to start looking at getting the amateur licence.

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

High cost of Rigs. Empty
PostSubject: Re: High cost of Rigs.   High cost of Rigs. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2022 11:30 am

Sounds like you've got a couple of nice rigs that you're happy with there James. High cost of Rigs. 1f44d 
May I also wish you the best with your radio interest pursuits and good luck for the Amateur Radio licence.

----------------------------------

Michael, I don't believe Conor (Northern Crusader) made any reference to 'all' older or retired people and did say 'mostly'. Not too dissimilar from your mention of "many of those selling" in your response. Always best not too look on forum postings as if they are personal when they most definitely aren't.

I'm disabled with no income whatsoever and yet have strived fairly successfully to get where I am now with Amateur Radio.

You wouldn't be the first to complain about the costs of the hobby and certainly won't be the last.

I used to have another expensive hobby which was golf, but as I can't walk nowadays there's no point lamenting about it even if I could afford it.

Enjoy yourself where you can Michael and don't ponder on things you may be unable to do anything about.

I wish you the best in your radio pursuits whatever they may be and you never know what might turn up around the corner.

Kookie1947 and rekibrepus like this post

Back to top Go down
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4654
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Preston, Lancs.
Equipment Used : UNIDEN 100, midland alan 78 plus multi + mag mount , silver rod

High cost of Rigs. Empty
PostSubject: Re: High cost of Rigs.   High cost of Rigs. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2022 11:39 pm

Hi im new here with a uniden 100 that i have had for a few years  i have given it a dusting and will give it a try out , i also have a multimode 2 that i have had since about 1980 , i would like a home based rig and small aerial (dont want to upset the neighbours) the idea is that i wont be using the rig in the vehicle anymore and just using it at home any ideas thanks
Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

Call Sign : 163-CT-329
Times Thanked : 13
QTH or Location : Deeside, Flintshire
Equipment Used : A growing list

High cost of Rigs. Empty
PostSubject: Re: High cost of Rigs.   High cost of Rigs. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2022 1:05 am

skyrider wrote:
Hi im new here with a uniden 100 that i have had for a few years  i have given it a dusting and will give it a try out , i also have a multimode 2 that i have had since about 1980 , i would like a home based rig and small aerial (dont want to upset the neighbours) the idea is that i wont be using the rig in the vehicle anymore and just using it at home any ideas thanks

A 12' dipole out of two 6' DV27"s is pretty unobtrusive.

skyrider likes this post

Back to top Go down
teapot
Contributor
Contributor

High cost of Rigs. Empty
PostSubject: Re: High cost of Rigs.   High cost of Rigs. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2022 6:02 am

use a wire very easy to do. are going to be using the mm2 or buying a the radio.  Do you live in a flat or house?

regards
Dave
Back to top Go down
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

Equipment Used : UNIDEN 100, midland alan 78 plus multi + mag mount , silver rod

High cost of Rigs. Empty
PostSubject: Re: High cost of Rigs.   High cost of Rigs. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2022 7:16 pm

Hi Dave sorry about the late reply, yes i live in a bungalow how do you work the wire idea thanks
Back to top Go down
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

High cost of Rigs. Empty
PostSubject: Re: High cost of Rigs.   High cost of Rigs. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2022 8:47 pm

just been looking at some dipoles could be the way to go
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

High cost of Rigs. Empty
PostSubject: Re: High cost of Rigs.   High cost of Rigs. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2022 5:46 am

A telescopic pole for the wire.
I have one and a T2lt i made up.
2 minutes to setup anywhere you want it.
Back to top Go down
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

High cost of Rigs. Empty
PostSubject: Re: High cost of Rigs.   High cost of Rigs. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2022 8:53 pm

sorry i forgot to ask you folks what is the range of a dipole , thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

High cost of Rigs. Empty
PostSubject: Re: High cost of Rigs.   High cost of Rigs. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

High cost of Rigs.
Page 1 of 1