Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Winter 11m Challenge - from December 1st 2023 to 31st March 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» First homebase (Issued)
MOBILE PA USE Icon_minitimeToday at 4:24 am by Victor

» 10 Metre Summer Challenge 2024
MOBILE PA USE Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:13 pm by John H

» Tank whip for homebase
MOBILE PA USE Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:40 pm by Hendo

» Foundation licence passed!
MOBILE PA USE Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:49 am by Al21

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
MOBILE PA USE Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:20 am by SangueG

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge League Table 2024
MOBILE PA USE Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:15 am by SangueG

» Returning Member / Callsign Re-Issue (Returning Member)
MOBILE PA USE Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2024 10:56 pm by John123

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
MOBILE PA USE Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2024 9:05 pm by Razz229

» Introduction to the group. (Issued)
MOBILE PA USE Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2024 4:52 am by Victor

Keywords
Mckinley Sirio chart Mobile Baofeng yaesu software 2022 callsign display anytone ss9900 antenna power list sign meter 2023 supply frequency call lincoln 6900 9900 president ALINCO
QRZ Database

MOBILE PA USE

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Blue Boy
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3366
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : North Manchester
Equipment Used : crt 6900n - midland 705d -

MOBILE PA USE Empty
PostSubject: MOBILE PA USE   MOBILE PA USE Icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2022 8:31 pm

Has anybody used a CRT SS6900N for PA? I got a little weather proof speaker and gerry rigged the bits together. Switched to PA - brilliant - just what I wanted. Problem - whenever you plug a 3.5mm jack plug into the ext socket it cuts off the inbuilt speaker. I knew that. However, I thought that with the PA facility being selectable (and there not being a specific PA socket) the inbuilt speaker would be active when switched from PA setting. If I mounted it the pedestrians would hear the radio and not me. Everything I touch at the moment. I'm sure there must be a way but I'm missing it ....
Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

Call Sign : 163-CT-329
Times Thanked : 13
QTH or Location : Flintshire
Equipment Used : A growing list

MOBILE PA USE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOBILE PA USE   MOBILE PA USE Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2022 12:52 am

I have the same problem with the CRT 9900 . Only one jack socket at the back instead of one for PA and one for ext speaker .

I thought the modern technology would flip between the two, but no.

The PA speaker sounds when in CB mode.
So either I'm missing something or it's pretty carp.

Blue Boy likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 349
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

MOBILE PA USE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOBILE PA USE   MOBILE PA USE Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2022 10:01 am

Hi Tom,

'Smokey and the Bandit' comes to mind. Very Happy

I remember people having similar issues with the old CB radios trying to hook up PA speakers. Even though the older radios often had separate jack sockets for the PA/EXT Speaker it would depend on how they were wired up internally on the circuitry.

For example the old Midland 3001 switched the 'input' to the audio amp from CB to PA with the output coming through whatever speaker was connected. The workaround with these was a 'shorting' switch fitted externally to the PA horn wiring so effectively disconnecting the PA horn but redirecting back to the internal speaker or one connected to the EXT SPK socket. If you didn't flick the external switch though the PA horn would blast out your reception when you were in 'CB' mode.

On something like the Kernow Beta 1100 the PA/CB switch actually changed over the connections to the appropriate output jack sockets so would work as expected.

It was very different like this for a number of radios so I'm not surprised there's such differences on modern CB radios.
The 'clever' use of a single socket saves a few pennies on a manufacturing run. Wink

Back in the 'day' people would hook up all sorts of complicated switching or modify the heck out of the internal wiring to accomplish what they wanted. It'd be much harder to modify your 6900 though with the uProcessor handling the switching functions via digitally controlled analogue path switching circuitry.

You could at a push hook up some sort of external switch wiring to connect between an external speaker or the PA horn. Despite the apparent 'loophole' as regards holding a fist mic whilst mobile I'm pretty sure scrabbling around for such a switch would see you get into trouble either legally or via an 'accident'. (It's not an 'accident' if it was down to your own silly actions! Wink )

As ever nothing is often as simple as it sounds or looks.

Besides I think you'd be pretty disappointed with the meagre audio output of a CB through a PA horn anyway.

Buford T Justice would've had a hell of a time calling you a 'tick-turd' via such a setup. Very Happy

All the best,
Victor

glenn dog, Blue Boy and Sharpshooter like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

MOBILE PA USE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOBILE PA USE   MOBILE PA USE Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2022 5:59 pm

I used to have fun with mine pulling into work or if I was driving through town etc and spotted someone I knew 👍🏼😁
Back to top Go down
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4654
QTH or Location : Preston, Lancs.
Equipment Used : UNIDEN 100, midland alan 78 plus multi + mag mount , silver rod

MOBILE PA USE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOBILE PA USE   MOBILE PA USE Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2022 7:11 pm

many years ago i had a speaker under the bonnet of my van and so did most of my friends the trouble was if someone hit the pa switch on their vehicle it activated all the speakers in the rest of our vehicles if we were parked next to each other exiting stuff  What a Face
Back to top Go down
Blue Boy
Contributor
Contributor

MOBILE PA USE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOBILE PA USE   MOBILE PA USE Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2022 12:33 am

Thank you Victor - as usual very much to the point. I know about the illegalities and the possible accident/collision scenarios - did 33 years in the job enforcing such issues (don't ask about my CB involvement in 1979/80, I really enjoyed it and used this handle as a quiet hint to any contacts) but got the speaker - thought I'd try it.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

MOBILE PA USE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOBILE PA USE   MOBILE PA USE Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2022 6:03 am

No worries Tom and I do remember mention (plus the obvious 'Blue Boy' handle) of your exemplary past career before.

As mentioned you could hook a 3.5mm jack from the PA/EXT SPKR socket into a DPDT (double pole double throw) switch so that you can select between a PA horn and an external speaker. It does mean one more switch action selecting PA on the rig and then the external switch but would make it all work. 

Rather than a dangling switch or even drilling holes in a modern cars dash panel a simple additional bracket on the radio could accommodate such a switch for easier access.

You could then hook it up to a suitably amplified PA horn for some ultimate fun! Smile

It should after all be about enjoying ourselves and I hope you do even if sometimes the unexpected function/wiring of such initially befuddles us.

Keep enjoying yourself there Tom and do keep making your postings, I know I for one thoroughly enjoy them. MOBILE PA USE 1f44d 

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
Blue Boy
Contributor
Contributor

MOBILE PA USE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOBILE PA USE   MOBILE PA USE Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2022 2:09 am

Thanks again Victor - thoroughly cheesed off at the moment - the quick release fitting I had for the DV27 on the roof was great but forgot about the spring the other day and it disappeared. Ordered another unit after looking through mt bits and bobs for a spring without success. Came through the post this morning and is very poorly made. Had to use my herculean strength to get it apart then it didn't go together - filed a lot of very small burrs off the static section and it's on now. Like I've said before - everything I touch lately....

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

MOBILE PA USE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOBILE PA USE   MOBILE PA USE Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2022 6:18 am

I've lost more than a few springs in my time Tom and so long as the ones in my head stay in place I'm all good. Very Happy

My once deft hands became bear paws and keen eyes that could read numbers on surface mount components now require spectacles to read them from vintage silver mica capacitors! Plus as you say it seems like everything nowadays is manufactured from the finest manure obtainable. Wink

We get to that age where we can moan and mumble about it realising no one gives a damn unless similarly afflicted.

But so long as we're still having fun with the odd triumphant moment that's all that matters. MOBILE PA USE 1f44d

Alan Pilot likes this post

Back to top Go down
Blue Boy
Contributor
Contributor

MOBILE PA USE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOBILE PA USE   MOBILE PA USE Icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2022 2:12 am

I'm one of them that sees an old bolt, screw, fastener, gold ingot(not) on the ground and have to pick it up just in case it becomes needed. Damned if I could find a similar spring though. I wouldn't be able to count the frustrating instances but have enough fingers for the successful ones.
Back to top Go down
Blue Boy
Contributor
Contributor

MOBILE PA USE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOBILE PA USE   MOBILE PA USE Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2023 9:54 pm

Does anybody have any idea of where I could get a replacement telescopic aerial for the Midland 77-805 portapac? I have two excellent examles of these radios - both without aerials. Even wrote to Midland and will still be waiting for a reply when they nail the lid down on me....   guess the reply would be along the lines of no longer in production but you usually get some clever person who can copy these things - which I would settle for.
Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

MOBILE PA USE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOBILE PA USE   MOBILE PA USE Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2023 12:09 am

Blue Boy wrote:
Thank you Victor - as usual very much to the point. I know about the illegalities and the possible accident/collision scenarios - did 33 years in the job enforcing such issues (don't ask about my CB involvement in 1979/80, I really enjoyed it and used this handle as a quiet hint to any contacts) but got the speaker - thought I'd try it.

You must of been a rare plod to know legalities even back then Wink
I remember getting pulled for many things like air horns for example that were actually legal on my motor due to year of manufacture. 👍🏼😁

Of course plod were exempt from such legalities, that is why we were "let off with using mic's" whilst driving 🤔🫣😁 🤣

Doubt you will get an antenna for your portapack, i have one. Unfortunately the case got soaked in a shed leak and thrown.
And god knows what happened to the speaker mic. Probably the same fate 😁
Which makes me think the antenna may still be lurking in the shed 🤔😲

glenn dog and Blue Boy like this post

Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

MOBILE PA USE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOBILE PA USE   MOBILE PA USE Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2023 2:00 am

Victor wrote:
Hi Tom,

'Smokey and the Bandit' comes to mind. Very Happy

I remember people having similar issues with the old CB radios trying to hook up PA speakers. Even though the older radios often had separate jack sockets for the PA/EXT Speaker it would depend on how they were wired up internally on the circuitry.

For example the old Midland 3001 switched the 'input' to the audio amp from CB to PA with the output coming through whatever speaker was connected. The workaround with these was a 'shorting' switch fitted externally to the PA horn wiring so effectively disconnecting the PA horn but redirecting back to the internal speaker or one connected to the EXT SPK socket. If you didn't flick the external switch though the PA horn would blast out your reception when you were in 'CB' mode.

On something like the Kernow Beta 1100 the PA/CB switch actually changed over the connections to the appropriate output jack sockets so would work as expected.

It was very different like this for a number of radios so I'm not surprised there's such differences on modern CB radios.
The 'clever' use of a single socket saves a few pennies on a manufacturing run. Wink

Back in the 'day' people would hook up all sorts of complicated switching or modify the heck out of the internal wiring to accomplish what they wanted. It'd be much harder to modify your 6900 though with the uProcessor handling the switching functions via digitally controlled analogue path switching circuitry.

You could at a push hook up some sort of external switch wiring to connect between an external speaker or the PA horn. Despite the apparent 'loophole' as regards holding a fist mic whilst mobile I'm pretty sure scrabbling around for such a switch would see you get into trouble either legally or via an 'accident'. (It's not an 'accident' if it was down to your own silly actions! Wink )

As ever nothing is often as simple as it sounds or looks.

Besides I think you'd be pretty disappointed with the meagre audio output of a CB through a PA horn anyway.

Buford T Justice would've had a hell of a time calling you a 'tick-turd' via such a setup. Very Happy

All the best,
Victor

Victor. My Manor kestrel works quite well between CB and PA 👍🏼🤣

glenn dog likes this post

Back to top Go down
Blue Boy
Contributor
Contributor

MOBILE PA USE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOBILE PA USE   MOBILE PA USE Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2023 8:16 pm

If you come across the aerial for the portapac let me know please. I will gladly purchase same and obviously cover P&P.

Sharpshooter likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

MOBILE PA USE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOBILE PA USE   MOBILE PA USE Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2023 10:21 pm

Blue Boy wrote:
If you come across the aerial for the portapac let me know please. I will gladly purchase same and obviously cover P&P.

I still have the radio and was looking for a mic but they're like rocking horse crap too.

Apparently most of the ones still with aerials are damaged anyway, throwing the SWR out.

If I do happen upon it you can have it 👍🏼
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

MOBILE PA USE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOBILE PA USE   MOBILE PA USE Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2023 5:43 am

Cant remember the fitting of the aerial but just looked on the bay and see several telescopic ones there.
Have a look at this one but don't shoot me if no good.
eBay item number:304268169131
Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

MOBILE PA USE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOBILE PA USE   MOBILE PA USE Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2023 2:49 pm

https://youtu.be/v1idfaWpfuQ

https://youtu.be/jxgUJo7yEv8
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

MOBILE PA USE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOBILE PA USE   MOBILE PA USE Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MOBILE PA USE
Page 1 of 1