Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Yeasu FT757gx Wideband/MARS mod Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:49 pm by SangueG

» CW sidesweeper, new project
Yeasu FT757gx Wideband/MARS mod Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:13 pm by karelgol

» Swedish Repeater on Ch20 Mid
Yeasu FT757gx Wideband/MARS mod Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:29 pm by Vasilis

» CRT SS 9900 V4
Yeasu FT757gx Wideband/MARS mod Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:57 am by babis3g

» Moved from Introductions
Yeasu FT757gx Wideband/MARS mod Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2024 11:43 pm by babis3g

» Mr Macmillan (Information requested)
Yeasu FT757gx Wideband/MARS mod Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2024 11:07 pm by John123

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
Yeasu FT757gx Wideband/MARS mod Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2024 8:52 pm by Razz229

» New member (Issued)
Yeasu FT757gx Wideband/MARS mod Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2024 7:43 pm by GaryWilson

» 27.555 usb from a longwire
Yeasu FT757gx Wideband/MARS mod Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2024 1:45 pm by stephen Gunrunner

Keywords
sign Sirio power call antenna Mobile meter lincoln Baofeng software 2023 Mckinley 9900 6900 chart anytone yaesu list supply ss9900 callsign frequency display president ALINCO 2022
QRZ Database

Yeasu FT757gx Wideband/MARS mod

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
teapot
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4484
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Torquay
Equipment Used : cobra 148 glt dx starlker9 fdx, icom 706 mk1

Yeasu FT757gx Wideband/MARS mod Empty
PostSubject: Yeasu FT757gx Wideband/MARS mod   Yeasu FT757gx Wideband/MARS mod Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2024 8:45 pm

how easy it to why band a 757?
dave
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Yeasu FT757gx Wideband/MARS mod   Yeasu FT757gx Wideband/MARS mod Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2024 5:40 am

Hi Dave,

The Yaesu FT757gx is easy to wideband/MARS mod as it's simply a flick of a switch.....

However the switch is internal, buried behind the display circuit board and you have to be careful pulling the radio apart to gain access to it.

For details of the switch take a look at the following links :-

https://pa0fri.home.xs4all.nl/Mods/FT757GX/FT757GX%20restauration%20eng.htm

Half way down the pages you'll see a section marked 'Frequency Range' with a picture of the board disassembled from a radio but clearly showing the switch marked 'SO3'.

For a better view take a look at the following video :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-M7fkYON4I

So easy enough to do but only once you've taken the radio apart. 

For that procedure it's best to look at the service manual and specifically the instructions for disassembly as well as the exploded view diagrams. 

The service manual can be found here :-

http://www.iw2nmx.it/Yaesu/FT-757GX/FT-757GX%20Service%20Manual.pdf

I'll give a couple of pointers/tips, remove the screws entirely including the easy to miss ones at the rear of the radio. It's helpful to remove the bottom casing first to assist in removing the top casing afterwards. 

When opening the top go slowly to make sure you disconnect the speaker connector at the front end of the radio so that you can flip over the top section containing the PA (power amplifier) and fan assembly. place a thick book or something at the back of the radio to assist flipping the PA section/top casing so that it has something to rest on and not pull at the interconnecting wiring.

From there the switch is easy enough to get to.

When reassembling be careful about placing the top PA section back down to prevent 'pinching' of the wiring at the rear end of the radio. (I've seen this as a 'fault' many times!) Don't forget to reconnect the speaker before closing down and make sure it sits aligned before putting the screws back on. The rear ones shouldn't be fiddly and if not aligned check again that the wiring hasn't got in the way.

Screw the cases down with the base screwed down last and job should be a good 'un. Yeasu FT757gx Wideband/MARS mod 1f44d 

When powering the radio back on for the first time after that don't do the common mistake of leaving the 'MOX' switch pressed in as otherwise the radio will not switch on when pressing the power switch.

You'll be amazed how many have thought their radio was faulty after that little mistake! Wink

So long as you take the radio apart carefully and reassemble just as carefully it's not the nightmare of a job it seems like.

I hope that helps Dave and I'll change the title of the posting to reflect the subject matter just in case anyone else finds it helpful in the future.

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
teapot
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4484
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Torquay
Equipment Used : cobra 148 glt dx starlker9 fdx, icom 706 mk1

PostSubject: Re: Yeasu FT757gx Wideband/MARS mod   Yeasu FT757gx Wideband/MARS mod Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2024 11:26 am

thanks victor i knew you would known haven't brought it yet just really wanted to know how easy it was before i took the plunge 
regards
dave

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Yeasu FT757gx Wideband/MARS mod   Yeasu FT757gx Wideband/MARS mod Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2024 4:01 pm

No worries there Dave. 

After your success with your VFO encoder repair and veritable 'rig-doctor' skills you've now garnered I'm sure flicking the switch on an FT757 would be relatively easy. Yeasu FT757gx Wideband/MARS mod 1f44d

I've still got mine, still opened, obviously only transmit on Ham frequencies ( Wink ) and love the old girl.

Victor

teapot likes this post

Back to top Go down
Nightprowler
Nightprowler

Call Sign : 163TM186...MW6ETW
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Abergavenny
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT757 GX2...Kenwood TS440S...Sirio GM

PostSubject: Re: Yeasu FT757gx Wideband/MARS mod   Yeasu FT757gx Wideband/MARS mod Icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2024 7:05 pm

Another nice little mod for the 757 is variable power on SSB, Handy if you are running an amp and don't want to lower the mic gain. I did it to mine ages ago, Involves snipping a diode or resistor, Can't remember off the top of my head but if anyone is interested I will dig out my notes.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Yeasu FT757gx Wideband/MARS mod   Yeasu FT757gx Wideband/MARS mod Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2024 5:27 am

Hi Rich,

Yep, the SSB power mod is mentioned in the first link I provided under the heading "OUTPUT POWER CONTROL IN SSB".

Victor
Back to top Go down
Nightprowler
Nightprowler

Call Sign : 163TM186...MW6ETW
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Abergavenny
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT757 GX2...Kenwood TS440S...Sirio GM

PostSubject: Re: Yeasu FT757gx Wideband/MARS mod   Yeasu FT757gx Wideband/MARS mod Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2024 9:12 am

Ahhh so it is Victor. I have never seen that link but was told about the power mod from a friend of mine years ago. I saved that link as it looks very interesting. Love my 757GXII.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yeasu FT757gx Wideband/MARS mod   Yeasu FT757gx Wideband/MARS mod Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Yeasu FT757gx Wideband/MARS mod
Page 1 of 1