Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Callsign Request (Issued)
Foundation Licence and IR2028 Icon_minitimeToday at 5:25 am by Victor

» Callsign request (Issued)
Foundation Licence and IR2028 Icon_minitimeToday at 5:19 am by Victor

» call sign (Information Requested)
Foundation Licence and IR2028 Icon_minitimeToday at 5:15 am by Victor

» happy to be onboard (Introduction)
Foundation Licence and IR2028 Icon_minitimeToday at 5:12 am by Victor

» Gettin a CT call sign (Issued)
Foundation Licence and IR2028 Icon_minitimeToday at 5:07 am by Victor

» what was your first radio and antenna
Foundation Licence and IR2028 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:48 pm by K4RLMORG4N

» Eastbourne weekly FM net
Foundation Licence and IR2028 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:12 pm by spurs dazza47

» South Coast PMR net report
Foundation Licence and IR2028 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:08 pm by Victor

» new member, callsign request (Issued)
Foundation Licence and IR2028 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:21 am by John123

Keywords
yaesu Sirio antenna 6900 power meter Mckinley frequency lincoln display 9900 callsign 2011 call chart sign 2023 supply software list 2022 president anytone ss9900 ALINCO 2024
QRZ Database

Foundation Licence and IR2028

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 375
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Foundation Licence and IR2028 Empty
PostSubject: Foundation Licence and IR2028   Foundation Licence and IR2028 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2021 11:58 am

Hi All,

Hope you are keeping well and most of all enjoying your radio. Foundation Licence and IR2028 1f44d 

Some will think this old chestnut has been roasted to death but here goes anyway :-

(The following contains titles and references to documentation rather than internet links due to the capricious nature of the beast. Wink )

I wonder how many of you contemplating the Amateur Radio route or even indeed started on their journey have asked the question of whether you are able to build your own transmitter or convert commercially available equipment. I also wonder how many have been quite often slapped in the face with the following....

UK Licence Terms & Conditions

UK AMATEUR RADIO LICENCE Section 2 - Ofcom

Section 7 - Equipment

7(2)  Where the Licence is a Foundation Licence, the Licensee shall only use commercially available Radio Equipment which satisfies IR2028. Foundation Licence holders may also use Radio Equipment constructed using commercially available kits which satisfy IR2028

I bet many have and any further discussion stops there!

If you follow the 'bread crumb trail' to IR2028 you'll find the following documentation....

UK Interface Requirements 2028 Amateur Radio Licences - Ofcom

This document makes reference to the "European Radio Equipment Directive" on many occasions, (more on this in a moment), as well as the UK Amateur Radio band plan for the appropriate licence 'classes'. Each of those make reference to multiple ETSI - EN standards which upon closer inspection relates to "Commercially Available Amateur Radio Equipment".

If you follow these bread crumbs the Radio Equipment Directive is actually the....

DIRECTIVE 2014/53/EU OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL

Which contains so much legal blurb many will give up reading it!
It does however state that 'commercial equipment' are items made to be available on the 'market' with a lot of references to the protection of the free trade market. Sensible really.

It also contains the following section which raises interest....

ANNEX 1
EQUIPMENT NOT COVERED BY THIS DIRECTIVE

1. Radio equipment used by radio amateurs within the meaning of Article 1, definition 56, of the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) Radio Regulations, unless the equipment is made available on the market.

The following shall be regarded as not being available on the market:

(a) radio kits for assembly and use by radio amateurs;
(b) radio equipment modified by and for use of radio amateurs;
(c) equipment constructed by individual radio amateurs for experimental and scientific purposes related to amateur radio.

etc. etc.

For reference the Article 1, definition 56, of the ITU is as follows...

1.56 Amateur Service; A radiocommunication service for the purpose of self training, intercommunication and technical investigations carried out by amateurs, that is, by duly authorized persons interested in radio technique solely with a personal aim and without pecuniary interest.

Quite interesting I'm sure some will agree as according to the oft quoted documentation it seems that 'kits', and 'modified radios' are excluded in the 'Commercially available Radio Equipment" category.

Hmmmm - Not quoted that one much are we? Wink

Honestly, putting aside probable misunderstood differences there are many things you can build should you wish in your pursuit of radio enjoyment and I'd recommend them all before even contemplating construction of a transmitter. Antenna systems can be complicated enough for most let alone constructing a fully fledged multi-band SSB transceiver or other such.

However, 'kits' have been and are available on the market which are so well designed utilising modern technology that they simply have to be put together like Lego and pretty much guaranteed to work let alone 'conform' to technical 'standards'. (Spurious emissions, harmonics, etc.)

Probably far more so 'compliant' than many neglected, let alone unserviced and unaligned second hand junk transceivers that appears on the market. Very Happy

All the very best and enjoy your radio pursuits,

Victor

Alan Pilot and TheReverend like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC

PostSubject: Re: Foundation Licence and IR2028   Foundation Licence and IR2028 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2021 12:21 pm

Interesting Victor, I admit to being rather unaware of these new fangled licences as it was somewhat simpler when I was first licenced in 1982.
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...
Times Thanked : 70
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7610,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Foundation Licence and IR2028   Foundation Licence and IR2028 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2021 1:43 pm

Victor
A year today.
That was i stopped doing your head in lol.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Foundation Licence and IR2028   Foundation Licence and IR2028 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2021 3:42 pm

@TrunkY - Hi Roger, much appreciated mate. Foundation Licence and IR2028 1f44d 

I must admit I didn't think many would read this after I completed it and all started as a personal interest. To think this is just the highlighted points of what was quite the chase around scores of legislative pages!! Things have definitely changed and I really do believe for the better but this was one very muddy uphill path. Wink

Just noticed your equipment listing with the old Yaesu FT747gx...I have the FT757gx and all but finished restoring it. Beautiful radios in my book.

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Foundation Licence and IR2028   Foundation Licence and IR2028 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2021 3:42 pm

Hi Alan mate,

I knew you must've been coming up to a year as we'd celebrated my 'little radio girls' first birthday last month.

May I just say congratulations and a very heartfelt 'Well Done' mate! Foundation Licence and IR2028 1f44d 

You've come along a huge way with your radio interests and always held the highest regard by doing everything you can to assist others when you able. For me that's the truest spirit of radio and irrespective of 'class' of licence a damn fine radio 'Ham' too! Smile

The very best to you,
Victor

(You never 'did my head in' ever or once mate.)

Alan Pilot and TheReverend like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Foundation Licence and IR2028   Foundation Licence and IR2028 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Foundation Licence and IR2028
Page 1 of 1