Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 11m conditions
radio - I bought a new radio. Icon_minitimeToday at 12:11 pm by glenn dog

» CRT space U/ space V
radio - I bought a new radio. Icon_minitimeToday at 11:27 am by 26CT1074

» CW sidesweeper, new project
radio - I bought a new radio. Icon_minitimeToday at 11:01 am by stephen Gunrunner

» EU conditions have started
radio - I bought a new radio. Icon_minitimeToday at 6:04 am by SangueG

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge League Table 2024
radio - I bought a new radio. Icon_minitimeToday at 5:35 am by SangueG

» CT callsign please (Issued)
radio - I bought a new radio. Icon_minitimeToday at 2:23 am by Pozerman1959

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
radio - I bought a new radio. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:25 pm by Sydthecat

» Siro Boomerang 27A
radio - I bought a new radio. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:28 am by FreqFreak

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
radio - I bought a new radio. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:10 am by Razz229

Keywords
president call software ALINCO Mckinley 2022 meter ss9900 yaesu list 9900 chart frequency 2023 lincoln Sirio antenna callsign Baofeng display 6900 power Mobile sign anytone supply
QRZ Database

I bought a new radio.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Uncle P
Uncle P

Call Sign : 26-CT-4640
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Prescot, Merseyside
Equipment Used : Little boxes wi' knobs on and big metal stick thingy

radio - I bought a new radio. Empty
PostSubject: I bought a new radio.   radio - I bought a new radio. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2022 5:52 pm

Hi all.

I bought a Baofeng clone this week... Pofung 5R-UV. Cheapest one I could find on Amazon with same day delivery included for £31. Well pleased with it. Obviously just using it for listening atm not being of the Ham community....yet, but its another inch closer to taking the plunge. Just need to purchase a data lead and new antenna for it now. Sadly I can't program PMR on it. Speaking of... I took my cheap little Tesco walkie talkie up in the attic to try out today and managed to pick someone up on channel 8. First time ever I've heard someone on it. 
Not sure about putting up an antenna for 11m on my roof but I think I'll get away with a small 2m/70cm twig. I have a redundant mag-mount since I bought the heavy duty base for my tank whip. Its a small sigma centre load whip with a small 4 inch mount. A possible conversion to 2m perhaps. Why buy if you can build. 

later chaps

73's

Paul

Victor and SangueG like this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: I bought a new radio.   radio - I bought a new radio. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2022 9:02 pm

Nice to see I am not the only one who has sat in the loft with a handie, we should start a club lol. I sat up in mine wearing one of my caving hard hats with light on and took part in a local 2m net a while back, my thinking being if that worked out I'd buy a 2m mobile unit and put a twig up there. It did and I did, and have great fun with it now Smile

TheReverend likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Uncle P
Uncle P

PostSubject: Re: I bought a new radio.   radio - I bought a new radio. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2022 10:51 pm

Oh man you do caving? I was talking with my nephew about that the other week. Its scares the crap out of me. Just the thought of being in some of them smaller vents, or whatever you call them, sends shivers down my spine. It's nightmare material for me. Watched a video about someone getting trapped doing it on you tube. The Nutty Putty cave incident. I was anxious watching it. 
 https://youtu.be/d1nuqpAULpE
Anyway....a bit off topic there. I think I will be spending a bit more time in my attic now. Luckily mine is an actual room rather than a loft space with a staircase leading to it, though my knees wouldn't agree with the luckily statement. It's where my 11m mobile twig is on an upside down bin. Doesn't work well for that but hey, 2m antenna is a lot shorter than 11m so more incentive to get my ticket and get a small antenna on the roof outside rather than inside. 

Oh man I'm gonna have nightmares again tonight now thinking of Nutty Putty 😒

You take care Neal.

73's fella
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: I bought a new radio.   radio - I bought a new radio. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2022 6:53 am

Thanks Paul i just watched that video.
Going to open the shack door now it feels small in here.

Uncle P likes this post

Back to top Go down
Uncle P
Uncle P

PostSubject: Re: I bought a new radio.   radio - I bought a new radio. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2022 9:33 am

Hi Alan.

It does get you that way doesn't it. That must have been awful not just for the poor soul who was trapped but for all involved. The thing is though we must follow our passions otherwise there's only regret at the end of the tunnel....no pun intended. There are lots of things I'd loved to have done in my youth but fear always got the best of me and still does to this day sadly.

Alan Pilot likes this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: I bought a new radio.   radio - I bought a new radio. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2022 7:03 am

Thanks for posting that vid, I hadn't seen previously. Whilst giving nightmares to some, that sort of watch more for me just reminds to not to get complacent, take my time to risk assess, and when going alone always give someone details of exactly where I am going and when I am due back (127 Hours is a great reminder of the latter). Butterflies actually fill me with more terror, but we are all wired differently Smile

Edging it back on topic, one person I guided around an old underground stone quarry once brought along walkie talkies, and I got them to leave them in the car as they'd be little use. Since then in Box Quarry Cathedral a person I was with got out their mobile phone and actually managed a signal. Was most impressed. Feel free to search pictures if you want of the location (a massive cavern, not scary). Only nearby opening was a 2m by 2m metal grilled hole at least 30m above our heads with solid stone (apart from quarried passages) for miles in all other directions. Where I am going with this waffle, is that if a radio signal can get deep down under the ground like that, then lofts/attics should be pure magic for radio, and they are for some people *puts hand up, I am one of those people*

Envy you having a room in your attic. If mine was decked out as a proper room I would live up there (more than I do now), would make an awesome radio shack. That said, I know it wouldn't as I probably would lose it to my better half for another purpose. Enjoy the space, you're so lucky. And good luck making some twigs, a part of radio I enjoy Smile

Uncle P likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
stephen Gunrunner
Major contributor
Major contributor
stephen Gunrunner

Call Sign : 26CT526/MR021/M6XXX.
Times Thanked : 10
QTH or Location : wooler north northumberland or some were near it
Equipment Used : mobile 4000hp base A99 radio base magnum257hp mobile magnum 257 standed power

PostSubject: Re: I bought a new radio.   radio - I bought a new radio. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2022 2:02 pm

if it has the 6.25 step will make a great pmr radio i suffer from night terrors i in the bed roome and i am fighting but there is nothing there but i can see it and the good wife helps me back to bed its all from my past once every 3 weeks for the next episode

Last edited by stephen Gunrunner on Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Uncle P likes this post

Back to top Go down
timjinx

Call Sign : 26-CT-4759
QTH or Location : Wokingham
Equipment Used : Rotel RVC-240

PostSubject: Re: I bought a new radio.   radio - I bought a new radio. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2023 5:16 pm

Hi Paul
It's worth considering the Foundation licence. There are so many good resources available online and the exam is pretty simple. The RSGB manual has everything in it you need to pass it. That way you would get a lot more use out of your radio.
Tim M0TJJ
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I bought a new radio.   radio - I bought a new radio. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I bought a new radio.
Page 1 of 1