Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Power Supply Help Requested Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:49 pm by SangueG

» CW sidesweeper, new project
Power Supply Help Requested Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:13 pm by karelgol

» Swedish Repeater on Ch20 Mid
Power Supply Help Requested Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:29 pm by Vasilis

» CRT SS 9900 V4
Power Supply Help Requested Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:57 am by babis3g

» Moved from Introductions
Power Supply Help Requested Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2024 11:43 pm by babis3g

» Mr Macmillan (Information requested)
Power Supply Help Requested Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2024 11:07 pm by John123

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
Power Supply Help Requested Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2024 8:52 pm by Razz229

» New member (Issued)
Power Supply Help Requested Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2024 7:43 pm by GaryWilson

» 27.555 usb from a longwire
Power Supply Help Requested Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2024 1:45 pm by stephen Gunrunner

Keywords
yaesu Baofeng Sirio call ALINCO anytone power antenna ss9900 frequency display 2022 chart software 6900 sign callsign supply lincoln list 9900 Mckinley 2023 Mobile meter president
QRZ Database

Power Supply Help Requested

Go down 
+2
astroman188
Victor
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Power Supply Help Requested Empty
PostSubject: Power Supply Help Requested   Power Supply Help Requested Icon_minitimeSun Feb 18, 2024 11:07 am

Hi to all you very fine Charlie Tangos,

I do hope you're all keeping well and enjoying your radio pursuits. Power Supply Help Requested 1f44d 

I have a couple of questions for anyone that can help me out if you'd be so kind.

Being housebound disabled I don't exactly get the opportunity to visit radio outlet emporiums and just as well really because I'd have questions they may not be able to answer or be too happy if I arrived armed with screwdrivers and test meters. Wink

Unfortunately as past experience has shown not many are that happy to receive telephone calls with the type of questions I ask either!

I need something beyond the physical dimensions, pretty LED colour it comes with or apparent 'recommendations' and customer reviews.
("Does exactly what it says on the tin" or "Arrived later than expected" is hardly helpful.)

So onto my question....

Does anyone own one of these power supply units (they're all the same just badged differently) :-

Nissei SPS-1335

Nevada PS-1335

Sharman SB-30BB

Amongst other names stamped on them out there but the back looks like this :-

Power Supply Help Requested Ps-13310

This looks for all it's worth like a good power supply for my needs and I do love the inclusion of the 'battery' option so that it can trickle charge and switch over to battery backup should there be a mains failure. (We still get them in my village although not as often as times of old but 'brown-outs', fluctuations and sometimes noisy switch-overs still occur.)

What I do need to know though is whether the "-", negative or black terminal post is isolated from the mains/chassis 'Earth'.

If anyone has such a power supply and access to a multimeter (DMM or otherwise) could you tell me the continuity or resistance reading (marked Ohms on a meter) between the aforementioned connections. (Whether that be the screw post marked with an earth symbol, the fan guard screws or the central pin of the mains connector to the negative black terminal post.)

Unfortunately as this is a current production unit I cannot seem to find a service manual/schematic/circuit diagram for it and manufacturer emails remain unanswered. Therefore I've run out of options to check for myself.

The other really handy thing would be a picture of the internals if anyone can perform this safely. (There's a big 300 Volts or so of DC power that sits inside them and the internal capacitors for some time even after switch off!) Please don't concern yourself though if you feel unsure about opening such stuff or worried about voiding any warranty.

This will help me in finding a suitable replacement for my currently utilised power supply which was kindly donated but required some work from myself to isolate the negative from the Earth along with an external mains filter and power factor correction choking. I'd rather not repeat that excercise for a purchased unit to which I would have had to save up me pennies.

Any help would be most appreciated, given a 'like', a 'thanks' vote, your brain rewarding you with a serotonin & dopamine rush and much admiration from myself. Smile

It may even be handy for other Charlie Tango members now or in the future and wouldn't that be a great thing. Power Supply Help Requested 1f44d 

All the very best,
Victor

Andrew likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
astroman188

Call Sign : 26CT2769
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Dorchester
Equipment Used : Alinco DR135-UK

PostSubject: Re: Power Supply Help Requested   Power Supply Help Requested Icon_minitimeMon Feb 19, 2024 8:32 pm

Hi Victor,

I had a look myself on the internet and like you couldn't find anything. I can only suggest asking Nevada if they know or at least do a test of one of their units. I'm sure they wouldn't mind.

Nigel

glenn dog and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4654
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Preston, Lancs.
Equipment Used : UNIDEN 100, midland alan 78 plus multi + mag mount , silver rod

PostSubject: Re: Power Supply Help Requested   Power Supply Help Requested Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2024 3:50 pm

yes it's always worth a try

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
glenn dog
Major contributor
Major contributor
glenn dog

Call Sign : 56-CT-004
Times Thanked : 11
QTH or Location : Oulu -Finland
Equipment Used : ft-450d-mc kinley - cobra 19dxeu- lincoln+2 - superstar lord - grant 2 - tti hand held- alan42- crt mike cb - zodiac 68 hunting radio hand held- and few PMR 2

PostSubject: Re: Power Supply Help Requested   Power Supply Help Requested Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2024 4:42 pm

Good luck in setting up.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Power Supply Help Requested   Power Supply Help Requested Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2024 5:13 pm

Cheers for the responses so far all.

I don't think I'm going to get to the bottom of this with any sort of ease so I might go the old fashioned route of a linear power supply and save up a few more pennies. At least that way I know what I'm getting.

Thanks again.

Victor

glenn dog likes this post

Back to top Go down
astroman188

PostSubject: Re: Power Supply Help Requested   Power Supply Help Requested Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2024 7:25 pm

Hi Victor,

Been doing a bit more digging about. Got this info from hamradio.co.uk (M.J.S Martin Lynch and sons)

MyDEL PS1335 switch mode Power Supply.

This could be a clue, got it from product information,

CAUTION 

Even though the chassis of the unit is negatively grounded, use correct terminals to connect cable 

Hope this might help,

Nigel

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Power Supply Help Requested   Power Supply Help Requested Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2024 5:40 am

Much appreciated there Nigel and thanks for taking the time.

I've been digging through a fair amount of datasheets & instructions finding myself disappointed with manufacturers specifications.

Along with some recent experiments switching between battery and mains driven power sources of various kinds (receiving doesn't require that much current) I've been shocked that despite my efforts in cleaning up my shack RFI wise there's a big difference in noise levels between them all.

With that in mind I will be looking at other options than the power supplies I originally noted at the start of this posting.

Thanks again to all.

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
astroman188

PostSubject: Re: Power Supply Help Requested   Power Supply Help Requested Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2024 7:43 am

You're welcome Victor, I try and help out where I can. I had a similar issue with RFI noise but trying to nail it down was was right pain as I wasted time thinking maybe it was a cheap power supply somewhere, the kind you get with mobile phones. Worked out it wasn't coming from inside the house at all and traced it to my neighbours plasma TV! Thankfully they moved so things improved a lot.

Hope you get it sorted,

Nigel

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Power Supply Help Requested   Power Supply Help Requested Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2024 9:16 am

That's a great attitude there Nigel and one we warmly welcome as well as promote here at Charlie Tango. Power Supply Help Requested 1f44d 

Yep, you can fair old chase your tail locating QRM noise sources as many of us can attest to!

It seems my good wife has overheard my shenanigans and kindly offered an early Birthday gift to me of a new power supply. I have a couple of 'linear' options available.....So I'm off shopping! Smile

Much appreciated again.

Victor

karelgol likes this post

Back to top Go down
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4654
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Preston, Lancs.
Equipment Used : UNIDEN 100, midland alan 78 plus multi + mag mount , silver rod

PostSubject: Re: Power Supply Help Requested   Power Supply Help Requested Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2024 12:44 pm

well done Victor hope you have success with your shopping trip  Very Happy

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Telstar
Telstar

Call Sign : 26-CT-3520. Foundation & Intermediate Ham
QTH or Location : Telford, Shropshire
Equipment Used : Uniden 200. SS6900N, Yaesu FT8900, Alinco DX77E, Alinco DX70

PostSubject: Re: Power Supply Help Requested   Power Supply Help Requested Icon_minitimeThu Feb 29, 2024 9:07 pm

So did you get your pressie then Victor ? Smile

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Power Supply Help Requested   Power Supply Help Requested Icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2024 4:45 am

I did David, I very much did. Smile Power Supply Help Requested 1f44d 

Sharman PS-LM40 linear loveliness....has a few quirks, (which I can easily fix Wink ), weighs a ton but fits in my radio shelf perfectly and was worth about 1.5 ~ 2 S-units reduction in wideband hash on the lower bands!!

Not quite an Astron or Microset but a lot cheaper.
(Not complaining, my wife bought me the perfect Ham pressie!)

Telstar, SangueG and DerekF like this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: Power Supply Help Requested   Power Supply Help Requested Icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2024 6:38 am

Good choice Victor.

Having run similar for a while now, but badged under a different name, I can guess the main quirk to address. I will mod mine inside at a later date, but it's been running fine with an outside of case fan running at low speed (HERE) pulling air through the side vents, I've tidied the voltage reducer away in a little box btw. With this, and with the low power I draw from the PSU, the internal fan rarely comes on now.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Power Supply Help Requested   Power Supply Help Requested Icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2024 7:34 am

Hi Neal mate,

Ah, just saw your link and hope your happy with your version. (I think they come in QJE flavours amongst others and reminds me of the older Alinco DM340 too.)

Yep, you guessed it - Although the fan isn't particularly loud it did take me by surprise the first time it went off but luckily it doesn't go off too often with my QRP limits. My take on this was to hook up two 60mm Evercool 12v fans wired in series which is almost silent but provides sufficient extra cooling. These run continuously wired to the back of the cigarette lighter style socket and if one of the fans fails the other will only get 12v max so just become a little noisier. Luckily I have a drawer full of them (bargain buy) so can always replace them but quick calculations shows they'll last years. So far the main fan hasn't come on once since. Power Supply Help Requested 1f44d 

The other 'quirk' was the poor choice in main power terminals from the manufacturer that aren't the best and don't fully unscrew. Luckily I have some old 1960's British made 1/4" shaft types that are currently bolted onto a homebrew power strip but will adorn the PSU eventually. Wink

I've also added a simple comparator overvoltage protection circuit to my power distribution box just to give that little extra reassurance. (Old style 'crowbars' are a bit savage and still rely on blowing a fuse.)

I did have a USB outlet socket wired to my additional powerstrip but the damn thing uses a 'buck' convertor and noticed it was horrendously noisy RFI wise on 160/80/40m so that b*gger has come straight out! Very Happy

Overall a very happy bunny and pretty sure it'll outlive me. Power Supply Help Requested 1f44d 

Alan Pilot, Telstar and SangueG like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Power Supply Help Requested   Power Supply Help Requested Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Power Supply Help Requested
Page 1 of 1