Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Request callsign....
Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ? Icon_minitimeToday at 6:42 pm by 53 Prefect

» Yes, I am still breathing.
Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ? Icon_minitimeToday at 6:36 pm by 53 Prefect

» 1/2 wav or 5/8 wav
Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ? Icon_minitimeToday at 6:35 pm by Des Collier

» My New CB Radio YouTube channel.
Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ? Icon_minitimeToday at 6:31 pm by 53 Prefect

» Call Sign Application
Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ? Icon_minitimeToday at 4:10 pm by Robert Martin

» Which handheld
Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ? Icon_minitimeToday at 12:58 pm by GhostRider

» Activity around Portsmouth UK
Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ? Icon_minitimeToday at 10:48 am by GhostRider

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:49 pm by SangueG

» CW sidesweeper, new project
Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:13 pm by karelgol

Keywords
display 6900 2023 ALINCO antenna list call lincoln chart sign anytone Baofeng Mobile Mckinley callsign supply software meter Sirio 9900 yaesu frequency ss9900 president 2022 power
QRZ Database

Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ?

Go down 
+21
glenn dog
ghoshy2014
welshee
Sharpshooter
skipper
caspian40
Badger
Wireless
Keats.
Rich13
Adrian587
Northern Crusader
Savwafare10
Pappy Nick
Cozzmik
Ivy Mike
Captain Fantastic
Alan Pilot
Victor
SangueG
Howard
25 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Howard
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4319
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Aylesbury
Equipment Used : Ic7300

Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ? Empty
PostSubject: Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ?   Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2021 11:37 pm

Hi all.
In the last few months I've been watching videos of Fred in the shed and alike saying that 11 meters in there neck of the woods is picking up with some of the old breakers making a comeback during covid.
Well not where I live in can assure you.back in its day the bucks area (Aylesbury vale )  and further a field MK including was a hive of activity up until the early 2000s. Now your be lucky to hear anybody unless you go high ground up these parts.to be honest apart from the regular 2 meter net on a Sunday here 11 meters is pretty much died which is a great shame as many people including myself made some good friends on the CB yea you had the dickheads but they were ignored like anywhere you go.
When lockdown first started I thought it might encourouge some of those to make an appearance again maybe even briefly but no.has anyone else have a similar experience in there 20 ?
73s
CT 4319

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ?   Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2021 5:05 am

Hi Howard. Same in my area, central Cotswolds. There's a very small group of people from outlaying villages to my town that get together on a freebanding frequency each evening for a quick chat and do some DXing when the skips up. I can't hear them all as run my antennas on the flat side just for skip shooting. I only recognise one of them from the distant past. No one else local to be heard during normal conditions bar the occasional strong station out on a hills.

When the Spring / early Summer skip was at its height though it was interesting to hear how lively some areas of the UK are with CB. The amount I was bombarded by breakers around the Newcastle area was amazing, it really did feel like the old days. Don't know why there's such a difference in numbers in localities around the UK.

Victor and Howard like this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ?   Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2021 7:24 am

Hi Howard,

I'm in the same neck of the woods as you and unfortunately found very much the same. 
As Neal above has already pointed out some areas are really alive especially Northern counties.

If you're lucky to be in one of those radio busy areas it must really feel like a comeback to the CB days of old, but for others like ourselves devoid of activity it's all a bit 'meh'.

On my own comeback a couple or so years ago I did get to enjoy some summer DX after a quiet winter/spring which thrilled me no end. Was great to chat to our Continental cousins again on CB frequencies and very much reminded me of the 'good old days' which spurred on my radio interests. Wanting more I did eventually get my ticket for the Ham bands and now I have more choices at my disposal.

I still enjoy CB frequencies though checking them out often for activity and joining in when there's a bit of 'skip' on. Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ? 1f44d 

We definitely aren't back in the heyday of calling for a 'copy' or 'radio check' and getting an instant reply nor being able to shout out "Eyeball - Eyeball!"...... but I certainly don't miss all those 80's kids screaming profanities or mastering their skills as radio DJ's! Very Happy

I'm still trying to figure out how best to transmit to the West and North of my QTH Howard being in a 'hole' south of Bedford and can only get to my old friend in MK on 70cm via the Tring repeater(!!??) If I manage a better setup I hope to catch you on air one of these days.

All the best,
Victor

Howard likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ?   Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2021 7:28 am

I had 1 contact on 11m in a year round here.
I did come across an old m8 i hadn't spoken to since 95 but he was on facebook and we now have daily chat's but that is on fb video as i can only contact him on the 2m band and he sold his 2m/70cm radio but not replaced it yet.

Victor and Howard like this post

Back to top Go down
Captain Fantastic
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Captain Fantastic

Call Sign : 15-CT-964
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Zurich, Switzerland
Equipment Used : Base: Jackson II + 1/2wave silver rod. Mobile:Albrecht AE 6110 + Little Wil

PostSubject: Re: Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ?   Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2021 10:45 am

Not dead where I am, but can have a dry day or two. However, it won't help you much as I'm in Switzerland. My biggest challenge is speaking to the others in German!

Howard likes this post

Back to top Go down
Howard
Contributor
Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ?   Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2021 7:24 pm

Victor wrote:
Hi Howard,

I'm in the same neck of the woods as you and unfortunately found very much the same. 
As Neal above has already pointed out some areas are really alive especially Northern counties.

If you're lucky to be in one of those radio busy areas it must really feel like a comeback to the CB days of old, but for others like ourselves devoid of activity it's all a bit 'meh'.

On my own comeback a couple or so years ago I did get to enjoy some summer DX after a quiet winter/spring which thrilled me no end. Was great to chat to our Continental cousins again on CB frequencies and very much reminded me of the 'good old days' which spurred on my radio interests. Wanting more I did eventually get my ticket for the Ham bands and now I have more choices at my disposal.

I still enjoy CB frequencies though checking them out often for activity and joining in when there's a bit of 'skip' on. Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ? 1f44d 

We definitely aren't back in the heyday of calling for a 'copy' or 'radio check' and getting an instant reply nor being able to shout out "Eyeball - Eyeball!"...... but I certainly don't miss all those 80's kids screaming profanities or mastering their skills as radio DJ's! Very Happy

I'm still trying to figure out how best to transmit to the West and North of my QTH Howard being in a 'hole' south of Bedford and can only get to my old friend in MK on 70cm via the Tring repeater(!!??) If I manage a better setup I hope to catch you on air one of these days.

All the best, of
Victor
Hi Victor 
Yea it's a shame CB has gone 10 1 as they say around here but I'm sure 1 day it may return probably when we're gone.as for getting out north etc your have to go HF if your already not that's the answer I'm afraid or sit with your rig on a very high point of Bedfordshire .don't know where you are in beds but get yourself on 2m and the repeater you want is gb3VA  which covers a big area of ox bucks beds and Herts and beyond conditions pending of coarse .
All the best CT 4319 Howard.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ?   Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2021 7:59 pm

Definitely a shame mate, miss the old CB days but then again I still miss my local pub more than 10 years after it closed! Times move on, or so they keep telling me. Wink

Unfortunately disability holds me back from venturing to high points but I can hear GB3VA on a good day just unable to open it. Currently playing around with homebrew 2m beams and hoping I can alleviate that.

Here's hoping CB picks up round here but would be great to hear from others on this posting who live in busier areas with just how busy their area actually is.

73's
Victor
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Howard
Contributor
Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ?   Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2021 9:18 pm

Hi Victor
Opening up gb3VA you could always use some help know what I mean 👍 what part of Bedfordshire you in ? I sometimes chat with Alan over at Leighton on 11m and also a chap in 2m from toddington name escapes me at the min.
Back to top Go down
Ivy Mike
Major contributor
Major contributor
Ivy Mike

Call Sign : 26CT4113/G1HWY
Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : IO90uv
Equipment Used : ICOM radios/antenna farm

PostSubject: Re: Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ?   Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2021 5:48 am

Same here.
Got a rig to see what it was like, shouldn't have bothered really.
There are some along the coast but it's hard to get over the downs.
Heard some mobiles close by but that's it, the old days it ain't.
I know a lot of the old ones I knew have passed on over the years
and it seems no one else is interested.

It's the same on my local 70cms repeater, it was heaving back in the day
but can go days now with nothing.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Howard
Contributor
Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ?   Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2021 6:23 am

I think that's fairly an overall view nationwide these days just small areas in the country even our 2 m repeater is really quiet I here more people talking on the 446 from the hs2 site up the road 😒

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Cozzmik
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
Cozzmik

Call Sign : 26-CT-465/OP-465/FB-012
Times Thanked : 8
QTH or Location : Kent
Equipment Used : Kenwood ts570dg/Yaesu ft450d/Rm-kl400/Sirio 4000

PostSubject: Re: Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ?   Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2021 7:55 am

Busy in my area of Kent with a few nets heard at weekends on 27.115 lsb and .275 usb which is the only radio time I get.Of course the 19 is busy with London ops and ch35 has another London and beyond group.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pappy Nick

Call Sign : 26-CT-3414 26-SW-1919 M7NBX
QTH or Location : Bristol, UK
Equipment Used : Xiegu X5105, Retevis RT-95, Anytone AT-D878UV, ALINCO DX-10, CRT SS6900 N, CRT One N, Baofeng UV-5R, Alinco DJ-X3

PostSubject: Re: Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ?   Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2021 8:22 am

It's not completely dead in Bristol, but those that do come on seem to rag-chew incessantly on ch. 19. We also have an SSB Net on Tuesdays which is a bit more organised. ;-)

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Savwafare10
Savwafare10

Call Sign : 2-CT-351
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Greeley / Evans
Equipment Used : Kenwood TS450s TS440s Icom 706MK2 Sigma Venom 5/8 wave with home brew ground radials (8) Drake R 4B- T 4xB (twins) 4el LFA soon to go up in the air/

PostSubject: Re: Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ?   Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2021 11:48 pm

No-where near the traffic as "the ol days".   Us, die hards are still around as recent DX conditions "tease" us. From mid summer 2020 to current DX has picked up a tad.  Only a few locals for me to meet up with, but too far out of reach on AM mode to be "solid".  Which tends to make us around here SSB only. Few here and there getting the dust off the ol gear and plugging it in to see whats going on after watching a few YT vids ect.  Really have to have the radio on all day and be near it to catch that "quicky" DX window.   I'm still in doubt at times when I get home from work, turn radio on (habbit) and hear nothing, then  like some one just turned their radio on and keyed up, New Zealand or Hawaii calls out. I get a contact and "poof" like nothing ever happen.   A test to the Hobbyist I suppose.  I'm not to retirement age of yet. (probably a good thing) or I would be glued to my radio and get nothing done!!     2CT351 N. Colorado   Jeremy. (side note, I been a Freebander for 42+ yrs)

Pappy Nick and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ?   Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2021 11:39 am

There's a little traffic in the next town, a couple of people on from time to time in my town but get over the East Yorkshire Wolds and you can hear Ch19 rammed full from South and West Yorkshire. Whole of the M62 corridor and large parts of South Yorkshire are quite busy.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Adrian587

Call Sign : 26-CT-4318
QTH or Location : Daventry Northampton
Equipment Used : Galaxy Pluto, Anytone 878

PostSubject: Re: Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ?   Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2021 10:39 pm

I have picked a few up around my area but I think most people are now operating on SSB as noise levels are much lower, I’m really enjoying SSB given I was such a FM fanboy years ago.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Rich13
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4231
QTH or Location : Whitehaven
Equipment Used : CRT 6900+ venom silver rod

PostSubject: Re: Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ?   Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2021 3:13 pm

Dead as a dodo round my area too. I was inspired to return because of access to SSB and the extra  channels available now, and also after coming across the Fred youtube channel . There was a fair bit of DX going on on the sidebands in Summer , but even then on 11m it seems a bit of a scrum down with everyone shouting over the top of each other with big amps. that's just my personal opinion however 
Fortunately I was encouraged by certain people on here to get the ham licence and for now  at least, I'm quite enjoying the 2m and 70cm bands, with access to repeaters you can get a fair distance and if the 10m HF band is open I'll occasionally go on there

Victor and Markone like this post

Back to top Go down
Keats.

Call Sign : 26-CT-3747
QTH or Location : London
Equipment Used : None yet

PostSubject: Re: Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ?   Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2021 11:31 pm

It's not dead here in London
Back to top Go down
Wireless
Major contributor
Major contributor

Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : Shrewsbury
Equipment Used : kit

PostSubject: Re: Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ?   Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2021 12:17 am

Last edited by Wireless on Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ?   Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2021 6:59 am

I live overlooking Holyhead port and never hear a thing at ferry time.
Back to top Go down
Rich13
Contributor
Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ?   Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2021 11:06 am

Alan Pilot wrote:
I live overlooking Holyhead port and never hear a thing at ferry time.
 CB band activity is it seems very localised Alan . It could not realistically be pursued as a hobby where I am,  and truck drivers seem to  use hands free mobile phones these days and sat navs to warn of road conditions according to family members who are drivers . 
By way of contrast you and I could likely work each other  through the 2m/70cm repeaters on the Isle of Man . I was talking to someone in Colwyn bay the other day.
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ?   Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2021 1:22 pm

Rich13
Occasionally i can get the IOM but not always.
Will listen out for you when i can hear your qth.
Back to top Go down
Rich13
Contributor
Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ?   Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2021 2:12 pm

Yeah , Look forward to it Alan
Back to top Go down
Badger
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
Badger

Call Sign : 26CT506
QTH or Location : Exmouth, Devon U.K.
Equipment Used : Too many to mention here.

PostSubject: Re: Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ?   Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2021 7:38 pm

There is always someone on 555 here in Devon. Razz
Back to top Go down
https://youtu.be/EIyixC9NsLI
caspian40

Call Sign : 26-CT-1758 / M6MWT
QTH or Location : Rendlesham suffolk

PostSubject: Re: Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ?   Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2022 9:20 pm

Scanned around the bands on a receiver for anything in Suffolk from time to time never heard a thing in the 11 years ive been here, i can confirm kent was and from what i hear is still lively at times we use to sit atop bluebell hill of a night time did a few test with some modified Intek 50/50 PMR handies from the same location got a few reports into Essex and one chap on the suffolk coast with PMR. Will still purchase a CB though just deciding on which one to buy though.
Back to top Go down
Savwafare10
Savwafare10

Call Sign : 2-CT-351
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Greeley / Evans
Equipment Used : Kenwood TS450s TS440s Icom 706MK2 Sigma Venom 5/8 wave with home brew ground radials (8) Drake R 4B- T 4xB (twins) 4el LFA soon to go up in the air/

PostSubject: Re: Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ?   Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 12, 2022 8:39 pm

last few weeks Global DX on 11m.  27.385LSB seems  to be the "train wreck", but used to find what direction DX is coming from,  Spin the vfo up to 27.555USB and on the way catch a few stations, make contacts and have at it.  Seems during the mid part of the day (I'm at work) forums reporting many contacts from US to EU.  I catch the Gray line in the evening and get South America 3div alot and may lead into Hawaii or Australia ( if lucky) 100watts,  Sigma Venom 5/8 wave with added 8 ground radials. @ 6M in the air.

caspian40 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ?   Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next